'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Beginner with Truck questions- 2H bumper pull

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-27 9:11 PM
11 replies, 6286 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-26 7:39 PM (#88333)
Subject: Beginner with Truck questions- 2H bumper pull

Regular

I am embarking on a mission to buy my first truck & trailer (family had them when I was a kid, but that was 20 yrs ago). I am trying to learn as much as I can and hope to avoid doing anything stupid. We have just about decided to purchase the truck first, and then the trailer sometime in the next 6 months or so. That means that I must make sure the truck will pull whatever trailer I will eventually buy. I expect to purchase a 2H steel trailer with dressing room, probably a slant because the straight loads seem to be hard to find and more expensive. I seem to be finding that 2H BPs w/dressing room check in at a little under 3000 lbs. Planning conservatively, I need to make sure the truck can safely pull 3500 + horses/stuff. I feel confident I will never need more than a 2H, as I board and there is no way I'll ever afford to board more than 1 horse. 

What should I be looking for in a truck? I have learned that the manufacturers put out a towing guide, which I plan to find before buying. Is there a "standard tow package" or are there different levels of this? Will I need a separate hand-operated brake controller? Would I expect this to come with the truck or would I add that later? The trailer dealer said I could pull such a trailer with an F150 or Chevy/Dodge 1500 with a tow package-do you agree? On a previous post here, several of you said that would probably be okay (thanks!) but I'm now looking for more specifics. V8 I assume? Trailer dealer also said to avoid 4.1 rear end due to bad gas mileage--agree? Gas mileage is not a biggie as the truck will not be replacing our daily vehicles--it will be only for hauling and the occasion carrying of stuff. Is there any need for 4WD? (I'm in Houston--freeways but no hills or snow.) One more question which feels like a dumb one but I need to ask: What is the official meaning of 1/2 ton (or 3/4 ton or whatever)? I hear this term all the time but it doesn't show up in the official info when I read up on trucks. Thanks for any and all info/suggestions!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-07-26 8:45 PM (#88339 - in reply to #88333)
Subject: RE: Beginner with Truck questions- 2H bumper pull

Expert

CHAD and GARD should be by real soon to answer this question...

I'm responding to a particular sentence in your posting..."I am trying to learn as much as I can and hope to avoid doing anything stupid."

It's TOO LATE...

You ALREADY BOUGHT THE HORSE...

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-26 9:16 PM (#88341 - in reply to #88333)

Expert

If you indeed plan on later upgrades, buy at least a 3/4 or one ton truck. A half gets overweight very quickly when GN trailers are considered. It's less expensive buying one truck and living with it than to upgrade when it's outgrown.

The new half ton trucks tow quite a bit, and your BP wouldn't be a problem. The limiting factor is its carrying capacity, which comes into play with the gn trailers. Whatever truck you purchase, make sure to order the trailer towing packages, every additional cooler that is available, and optional tires for greater load capacities. Make sure the rear axle ratio is apropos for your intended usage and the area in which it will be used.

If you don't want or need a diesel, ( most people will never recover the extra investment in fuel savings) purchase the largest gas motor that is available. You will encounter few situations where having too much power is an obstacle. A large engine running at a partial load will be more long lived and enjoyable than a smaller one working to capacity. Under loads, you may use less fuel as well.

I live in the NE and would not consider any towing vehicle to be without four wheel drive. We have hilly terrain, poor weather and off road conditions. If you will encounter none of these obstacles, a two wheel drive truck may suffice.

The differences between a half, 3/4 and one ton trucks, are the varying capabilities of the drive trains. Most 3/4 trucks share drive train, and frame components with a one ton, so the  differences between them are usually in the load capacities. It's a big step from a half to a 3/4. Everything is beefier and more capable on the larger truck. What a half ton may struggle with accomplishing, a larger truck can handle more safely and easily.

Some brands of newer trucks are equipped with built in trailer brake controllers, when you purchase a towing package. If it isn't optioned, you will need to have one installed to operate the trailer's brakes. Chad is the expert on these and can suggest the best to own.

My best suggestion is to buy a truck you can grow into, instead of a vehicle you will outgrow in time. Buy one that will accomplish what you want of it, safely and comfortably. It's a buyer's market now, and many dealerships are making it very easy to obtain a large truck at lower prices than a few months ago.

Best of luck

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-07-26 9:33 PM
jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-26 10:57 PM (#88344 - in reply to #88333)

Regular

Yes, the horse was the first crazy expense--cost of truck/trailer would seem small if I totalled all the $$$ I've spent on boarding...  :)

Okay, still confused on 1/2 ton v. 3/4: are the standard "smallest" full-size trucks (F150, Chev/Dodge 1500) considered 1/2 ton? And the F250s etc are 3/4? Sorry, I know this is an obvious/dumb question to all of you, but I just don't know this. When I read up on various trucks, I don't find them labelled as "1/2 ton" or whatever. I can find info on engine sizes and towing capacity--to what number does "1/2 ton" refer?

Thanks for all the great help!

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-26 11:18 PM (#88347 - in reply to #88344)

Expert

Originally written by jtravis on 2008-07-26 9:57 PM

Yes, the horse was the first crazy expense--cost of truck/trailer would seem small if I totalled all the $$$ I've spent on boarding...  :)

Okay, still confused on 1/2 ton v. 3/4: are the standard "smallest" full-size trucks (F150, Chev/Dodge 1500) considered 1/2 ton? And the F250s etc are 3/4? Sorry, I know this is an obvious/dumb question to all of you, but I just don't know this. When I read up on various trucks, I don't find them labelled as "1/2 ton" or whatever. I can find info on engine sizes and towing capacity--to what number does "1/2 ton" refer?

Thanks for all the great help!

The ton ratings are nominal... More like class of truck.

C10, F150, 1500 are class 1 or 1/2 ton trucks

C20, F250, 2500 are class 2 or 3/4 ton trucks

C30, F350*, 3500 are class 3 or one ton trucks.  Generally have dual rear wheels.

*A single rear wheel F350 is a tarted up 3/4 ton truck in my opinion.  It takes the dual rear wheels to provide the carrying capacity expected of a class 3 truck

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-26 11:24 PM (#88348 - in reply to #88333)

Regular

Great, thanks so much for clearing up my confusion.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-27 10:09 AM (#88352 - in reply to #88333)

Expert

Not all F150s are created equal. They come in 3 different cab types, Regular, Extended (Super), and Crew. They come with 2 different engines and varying truck lengths.  ANd then of course, the rear axle ratio comes into play.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2008/2008_default.asp

That's the link to the Ford Towing Guide that I find the most helpful. No, I do not work for Ford.

If you are towing in relatively flat areas aka not the Appalachian, Adirondack, Rocky Mountains, or similar mountainous areas, then an F150, with 5.4 litre, with either a regular cab and 8' bed, or extended cab with 6.75' bed or 8' bed, will be more than adequate. A crew cab adds too much weight. A 4-wheel drive will add to stability, but also decrease the total tow weight.

The tow ratings on the F150 XLT (5.4 l) range up to 9500 pounds. Their drawback is low payload and the factory-installed "bumper hitch" is only rated around 500 pounds tongue weight (5000 loaded) withOUT a WDH. (My factory-installed hitch has a 9900 pound rating with a WDH -HOWEVER, my truck does NOT have that high a tow rating.)  For those reasons alone, I put a GN hitch in my F150 to tow my 5000 pound (empty) GN. 

I am VERY careful about loaded weights. When going away for a long weekends and I have to carry water, hay, food for myself, it's only 1 horse. If I haul to nearby trails, then I can haul 2 horses. 

Yes, you will need a brake controller in the cab of the truck. If your truck does not come with one, I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy.

The F250 (Ford 3/4 ton) with a V8 gas engine (same 5.4 litre that the F150 XLT has) has similar tow ratings as the F150 - sometimes they are LOWER because the F250 weighs more but it's using the same engine as the F150 XLT - however, the F250 will provide a little more umph in control and braking.  F250 is also available as a V10 I believe.

Ford has some good incentives on new and used big trucks. If you can't find a good deal in Texas, contact Ford Dealerships in SE Michigan. Our economy sucks and many Ford employees are unloading their trucks as fast as they can. Same for GM/Chevy and Dodge. 

(Michigan Ford lease vehicles are sent to auctions in the SW)

Edited by gabz 2008-07-27 10:28 AM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-07-27 10:49 AM (#88354 - in reply to #88333)

Expert

Any modern 1/2 ton will be more than sufficient for what you intend to do.  My steel trailer loaded is 6K, with your one horse you should plan on 5K.  You will need a brake controller (unless you get a truck that has the already mentioned factory controller, IIRC 05 and newer Ford, 07.5 and newer GM), the Tekonsha P3 is the "way" to go now.  The Prodigy is a little cheaper and still very popular.  The Brakesmart is considered the "best", I have hauled with one.......but could never bring myself to part with the $450........just not that much better than the P3 I already have.  With a 1/2 ton you may also need a WDH, I would make a few test hauls before shelling out the $$.

You should look for a truck with the factory towing package.  A tow package should have the 4.10 rear, an external tranny cooler, hitch receiver, and trailer wiring, possibly larger alternator, and larger cooling system....basically whatever the manufacturer deemed necessary to make the truck tow its rated load.  A factory receiver with 7 pin plug is a good indication of having the tow package.  Get the largest engine available, in recent years that would be 5.4L in Ford, 5.3L in Chevy, and the "Hemi" in a Dodge.  A 4.10 rear is your best bet, 3.73 would also be fine......neither would be a deal breaker for me.  Mpg difference is really not worth talking about on a truck that is meant to work.

You mention it is unlikely to ever need a larger trailer.  In that case a 1/2 ton would be plenty.......but these things tend to snowball.  You also mention keeping your daily drivers.  In this situation a 3/4 ton might be a good bet, would give room to grow.  It would take allot of the guess work out of the "tow package", may already have a brake controller, and you probably wouldnt need a WDH.  There are exceptional deals to be had as people who didnt need them continue to bail out due to fuel prices. Gas vs. diesel?   Diesel is not the clear cut winner anymore.  You will have to run your own numbers to see if it works for you $$ wise.  My Dmax is a dedicated tow only vehicle,  I wanted a 8.1L, but the Dmax fell in my lap. 

No one but you will actually know if YOU need 4wd.  You couldnt give me a 2wd, or a short bed pickup.  If you intend to ever take the truck/trailer off the hardtop, I would suggest the 4wd.........trailers make fine anchors on gravel hills and wet grass.

Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-27 10:58 AM (#88355 - in reply to #88333)

Regular

I started out with a 1/2 Ton Ford F150, and the smaller V8.  It was straining to pull a 2 horse straight load with 2 horses and a weekend of camping gear.

When I wasn't looking, my wife traded it for an F350 with 7.3L Powerstroke, complete towing package...fuel costs aside, I'll never go back to a gas-powered truck for pulling.

We graduated from 2 horse straight load to a 3 horse steel stock trailer to a 3 horse slant load gooseneck with sleeping quarters to a 3 horse slant load gooseneck Exiss with living quarters.

Initially, I figured we'd NEVER own a rig like we've got now...I am glad the wife snuck in the F350 on me.

jtravis
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-27 6:21 PM (#88370 - in reply to #88333)

Regular

Thanks everyone for all the good information! We will be truck shopping this week, so I will probably be back with more questions. This appears to be a great time to get a deal on a truck--I hope so!

Jennifer

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-07-27 8:34 PM (#88371 - in reply to #88333)

Expert

I also started out pulling a BP with a 1/2, then we bought a 3 H GN without a LQ and the half ton was ok with it but not great. We sold that and bought a 3/4 ton Ford F250 PSD 4x4. Now I can pull my bigger Exiss with a LQ easily plus anything else we have around the farm. Now I wouldn't consider buying a 1/2. if you can buy the 3/4 ton and you won't be looking for another truck later on.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-27 9:11 PM (#88376 - in reply to #88333)

Expert

The best truck we have had for such a pull as you describe is a 3/4 ton 4wd with a 4.10 rear end.  Anything larger than the trailer you describe, we feel more able with a 1 ton 4wd dually diesel.  A 3.73 rear end is the minimum I would utilize in the 3/4 ton range, given a choice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)