'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
First colic experience

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-27 11:07 AM
5 replies, 3305 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-07-24 12:12 AM (#88159)
Subject: First colic experience

Extreme Veteran

I fed my Arab gelding around 5pm last night, and at 6pm the barn owner called and asked what he acted like when I was there.  oh oh.  I said he'd been agitated, bucking and running around the paddock, which he has been known to do many times in the past.  Anyway, she said he had not eaten all his grain, and had not eaten any hay and was down, flat out on his side and not moving.  I got in the car and sped back over; she had him up and walking but he was ready to go down any moment.  I got him in to the soft arena, turned to close the gate and down he went in some hay there.  He was flat out on his side, legs out, eyes closed, totally still.  I thought for sure he had eaten something poisonous and was dying.  I was so scared I could barely hold it together.  I stroked him and talked to him until the vet got there, telling him to please hang on. When the vet arrived we got him up and he examined him... his pulse was 36 and no temp - good news.  He stated Sam was quiet and calm.  Yes I said, that is a problem.  Sam is never quiet and calm!  Certainly not with a vet standing there holding a bucket with tubes, plungers, examination gloves, needles, etc.  He listened and said "no gut sounds".  The examination revealed no blockage that could be felt, normal stool but lots of gas.  (my boyfriend about passed out when he saw how they did the exam and noted vets don't get paid enough!)    The vet tried to get a tube down to his tummy, and in the chaos, Sam got his head up in an unnatural position and fainted.  He hit the side of the barn with a bang - I screamed thinking he'd broken his neck. Then he got up and stumbled and hit his leg, hobbling away - I then thought his leg was broken, but he was okay after a moment.  Finally got the tube in, pumped him full of warm water and malox? then led him around to see what would happen.  He seemed better.  We took the lead rope off and Sam shuffled away, wondering if that was a bad dream and if he'd been violated during that dream because his bottom was talkin'!  He began to trot, and let me tell you - the gas that came out of this horse would have lifted the space shuttle off the launch pad!  Big loud 30 second blasts that spooked him too.  Several of those.  Amazing.  I do not know what caused the suspected gas colic.  I stayed with him until 10pm then went back at 6ma.  He was fine and letting me know he had missed his dinner the night before!  I've never had a horse get colic like that.  He was so still, like he was meditating.  Today he is fine.  He has a scrape above his eye where he hit the side of the barn wall but other than that he seems okay.  I walked his entire pasture and could find nothing... no recent chew marks, only an area he had pawed some orange looking dirt.  Maybe he ingested some dirt that seemed interesting.  The vet said something must be in the air - he had 4 colics that day.  Wierd.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-07-24 7:00 AM (#88164 - in reply to #88159)
Subject: RE: First colic experience

Elite Veteran

Glad he's okay.  Colic is so scary, especially the first time you experience it with YOUR horse. 

I used to have a QH gelding that seemd to colic at the drop of a hat, especially when we went camping.  Nothing scarier than waking up at 2 am in your tent (out in the boonies) hearing a horse rolling, hoping it's not yours, but looking out and seeing your horse in distress.  I tried to get my vet to check him for ulcers, but back in the mid 90's only TB's had shown that tendency.

I started feeding him alfafa and it seemed to cure the problem - now I've read that alfalfa is good for horses with ulcers.

Years later after I'd sold him, I saw that vet and he agreed that he'd probably had ulcers.

your horse may never colic again and you'll be lucky.  I think the most important thing is to know your horse:  their normal temp, what their poop looks like, amount they usually pass, personality, etc.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-24 3:21 PM (#88196 - in reply to #88159)

Expert

I'm glad your guy is ok. 

I've had horses for 30 yrs and had never had a colic case until this May.  3 of mine coliced within 10 days of each other, one ending up in surgery.    It's a scary feeling and will make you paranoid for quite a while.  I don't think I've ever been so obsessed with who's pooped and who hasn't and what it looks like. 

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-24 10:47 PM (#88229 - in reply to #88159)

Extreme Veteran

Glad he is okay.  I never knew that gas or dehydration could cause horses (geldings in particular) to act like they are in horrible pain.  For some reasons my mares that have had colic tolerated the pain much better.  A note for camping & colic.  1. Know you horse - if your horse normally doesn't lay down during that day or let you in the stall with them while lying down call a vet.  We had a mare colic and this was her only indication.  We walked and lightly rode per our vet and she seemed better.  We went home and the next morning she was down.  After spending all day with IV's at the vet and unsure of a blockage we loaded up for the late night ride to the vet college.  After exploratory surgery we had to put her down due to a strangulated lipoma.  Even if she had survived she never would have been able to travel, camp & ride again.  We let her go to blaze new trails in heaven because I knew she would not be happy staying at hom.  I learned lots of lessons.  I now travel with Bannamine injections - I hope I don't need them but if someone else does I have them.  I make sure all my horses drink lots of water; poop lots and take electrolytes as needed.  Trust me, you to will learn lots from your experience too.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-07-25 12:48 PM (#88266 - in reply to #88159)

Elite Veteran

Funny how after you have a colic incident you examine poop like a forensic scientist! When ever we have a drastic weather change, usually from hot to cold in a matter of hourse, my old Arab gelding sometimes acts a bit off. So I watch the weather closely and frequently check on him to make sure he is acting normal. Glad to hear your fella made it through ok.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-07-27 11:07 AM (#88356 - in reply to #88229)

Extreme Veteran

I won't ever know why he coliced; it's perplexing because I hadn't ridden in a few weeks, he ate all his breakfast and moves around enough to pass normal gas. I ride him endurance and usually electrolyte the day before and all during the weekend so he stays well hydrated. He travels like a champ and will eat, drink, pee and poop when we stop and unload every 3-4 hours. He even had normal poop extracted when the vet did his rectal exam. The issue was gas and I have no idea what caused that upset. He has been fine since so hopefully it was a one time event. *

Edited by cowgirl98034 2008-07-27 11:08 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)