'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Midwestern Values

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-21 10:34 PM
32 replies, 8949 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 9:42 AM (#85974 - in reply to #85799)
Subject: RE: Midwestern Values

Veteran

I know a family that was working on the houses down south for the Katrina families.  It was hard for everyone since the insurance companies were slow at paying.  They also worked with the Hispanic people to clear up homes/streets.    They finally had to leave since the work did not pay enough to live off of.  As far as the nurses I am sure there were "heroes" that we will never know about - can't say enough good things.  We had some people from Katrian come up here -  I am sure they received lots of help when they came here since people wanted to provide them with some security and kindness - I also heard they were upset when they had to move.  I am sure they were told they could not stay there forever.  I have been uprooted and it can be horrible.  You just got to keep working on making it better.  Midwest people - as my kids would say "You Rock."  If you need anything - just ask - I will try to help.  Now, does anyone know a "No Rain and Just Sunshine" dance?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-19 9:44 AM (#85975 - in reply to #85799)

Expert

Genebob... Your post hit a special spot for me.  If everyone will look at their phone bill .. cell or landline there is a charge for "relay" service or some such.  This charge is for every number you have.

This charge is to provide a relay service for speech impaired people.  20 years ago lack of speech was a significant handicap.  Today with text messaging, Internet and computer speech programs I don't see a great need.  In fact, I've seen many advertisements for the service.  So, this public service solution has to look for problems to justify its existence... and get into your purse.

The relay service has also been used as part of a scam to hide the true identity of the scammer.  The relay operator knows it's a scam but because of their privacy policy can't warn the scammed.

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 10:30 AM (#85980 - in reply to #85799)

Veteran

hosspuller:   I have two ladies at my work.  One can hear a little, talk and can sign.  The other can not speak, is deaf and also signs.  Which means they use the teletype - for their phone and the computer for their work which I am sure we pay for.  Also I have a friend that can see but very little (leglly blind).  She is very smart but with all this technology she still has trouble.  She has a super big screen TV, but she can not read the computer screen unless it is super sized writing (you can get the print so big).  She uses the phone service to look up or connect her to places since she has to write very large just to see the numbers.  She has trouble finding the bus sign so she must memorize the bus stopes.  I will be looking at my phone bill.  I also have a slow child so I understand what the mother is going through but she could help by meeting you half way.  Using the system and being grateful is one thing, taking advantage of it is another.         
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 11:43 AM (#85985 - in reply to #85980)

Expert

I couldn't help but post this that I sent to someone in an email:

On the other hand,my best friend raised a totally blind son and another son as a single mom working as a nurse on a terrible floor in a big hospital.She was told she made about $30 too much when she tried to get SSI for him.Her ex hid his real income with shuffling and good ole boy help,so,he was only ordered to pay $100 child support until Harry was 18,which,by that time,he was a Sr.in high school.When he turned 18 he was able to get the SSI himself.
Graduating with honors and a scholarship,he went to college and has only 1 semester left.He would have finished in 3 years but took some electives and extra courses.In college,he was put off from taking electives such as pottery and the instructor made the remark to his face "if I"m going to have to teach YOU,I'm going to need extra help and money for it!!" Harry,by now on the CHANCELOR'S list,promptly contacted the dean of the dept.and others about this remark.He was allowed to take the class.
Now he has plans before going to graduate school to go to the school that you may know of in Minnesota for the blind to learn to live alone and independently function in their own home setting just as someone with sight.
He is active in a state organization here for the blind who promised him the funding for this school would be available to him.Now mysteriously about a month later,"they don't have the funds." Where did they go? What were they spent on?
Not to be put off again,Harry is contacting the governor,the Attorney General,and obtaining the information on the spending of the funds that were available and suddenly weren't through the Freedom of Information Act.
His brother,in graduate school now going on his third year,and teaching at Wichita State U in Kansas,is considering law school.
I think HARRY should be the lawyer!!!
Just an example of how sometimes certain gov.agencies in their boondoggling will bend over backwards for a kid that has assistance available through his family,ect and will ignore a kid such as Harry who can change the world,and do it without seeing.

And yes,it makes me furious,and no,I'm not going to apologize to anybody for this statement of facts and truth.

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 12:37 PM (#85990 - in reply to #85799)

Veteran

Crowleysridgegirl you do not have to appolize for anything. My daughter is also having problems with college.  She is not very vocal and she does not think as fast as others.  That is why we have a horse - she can be as slow and the horse does not know the difference.  If gas or hay prices go up we might have to sell her.  My daughter who gets alot of joy from her will be very upset.  I don't know what we would do if we lived in the Midwestern.  Praying for sunshine every day. 
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-06-19 1:21 PM (#85995 - in reply to #85990)

Expert

I hope your daughter will be able to keep her horse and make a go of it at college.College is tough for a lot of students.Many are just ran off and left behind without the personal attention that they might have received at school from a sharp and caring teacher.

I'm thinking also in addition to the hundreds of folks that have lost homes,businesses,ect of the farmers with thousands of acres of farmground flooded and crops lost.The growing season is a lot shorter in some parts there,and for a lot of them,it is too late to replant.

Higher food costs as a results for all of us,and disaster and possible loss of their land for them.I really do feel for them."these are the times that try men's souls."

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-07-20 6:56 PM (#87778 - in reply to #85827)

Expert

Originally written by terri s on 2008-06-17 12:25 PM

I, on the other hand, admired them for not cutting and running and leaving the patients.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080720/ap_on_re_us/katrina_hospital_deaths

Saw this posted today on the news:

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-07-21 10:34 PM (#87870 - in reply to #87778)

Expert

my  mother is a special ed teacher and she find it frustrating to work with admiration, it is all about the budget not the kids with handy cap. she now tooters children at home so they can get the extra help they need. I think that schools should rethink what they are there for
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)