'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sink in lq

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-17 9:17 AM
7 replies, 3895 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoSpin
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-06-16 6:24 PM (#85769)
Subject: Sink in lq

I am trying a diy lq with a 4ft shortwall. If I  put a small sink just for occasional use for the infant can it drain straight out the bottom or somewhere without a tank????? Will have a cowboy shower in the rear horse compartment. Thanks in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-16 8:48 PM (#85774 - in reply to #85769)
Subject: RE: Sink in lq

Veteran

I would not recommend draining out the bottom as this is not permissable every place you will be camping.  I added a 5 gal bucket, which had a seal in the lid, under the sink as a holding tank.  Inside the bucket I places a boat bilge pump.  when I am in an area where I can dump the tank, I just kick on the switch.  At some times I place a bucket under the pump hose to catch the drain water and take it to the proper dump site.  Attached is a picture of my setup. 
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-06-17 5:17 AM (#85788 - in reply to #85769)

Extreme Veteran

Draining out the bottom as this is not permissable every place you will be camping. 

How crazy is that???  I've tent camped a thousand times over the years. Just about everybody would use Coleman Stoves & Laterns or Open Fire (no elect) When it came time to do dishes mom would get out a rubber pan and dad would heat water in the kettle on the stove. When the dishes were all washed, the dish water got dumped right on the ground. Same thing occurred in every campsite there.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-06-17 5:32 AM (#85789 - in reply to #85769)

Veteran

If you will be camping in RV campgrounds the gray water dumping may be more of a problem. I've never come across a horse campground that had a problem with gray water going on the ground.  It's just in some of the strict fancy places that they don't want any pollution of any sort. Really, unless your sink is putting out huge amounts of water, I don't think anyone would notice.  Make it easy on yourself and let it drain out the bottom.  If the place you are camping DOES have a problem, put a pan under your trailer to catch the dribbles, then dispose of the water someplace that is okay.

Amanda

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-06-17 5:50 AM (#85790 - in reply to #85769)

Extreme Veteran

Ditto to what angel and rocky said.  I'm assuming that you are talking about enough water to wash your face and brush your teeth...not clean the dishes after a large dinner party.

If it's okay for the cowboy shower to drain onto the ground, why not a small sink.

I say run that drain out the bottom and let 'er fly!

RIDE ON!

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-06-17 7:16 AM (#85791 - in reply to #85769)

Veteran

Mine drains to the ground. If I'm at a RV park at some show grounds where I'm parked on asphalt, I simply place a bucket underneath the catch the gray water and dispose of it elsewhere.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-17 7:55 AM (#85796 - in reply to #85791)

Expert

Originally written by Kesta on 2008-06-17 8:16 AM

Mine drains to the ground. If I'm at a RV park at some show grounds where I'm parked on asphalt, I simply place a bucket underneath the catch the gray water and dispose of it elsewhere.

Kesta, Thank you for catching your water at the show grounds. At a National event last year, I had some friends camping "up stream" that would get up every morning they would run about four individuals through the cowboy shower. Then in the evening they would tidy up their dishes and silverware for the day. So for a week, there was pretty much a constant flow of bath water along with the hamburger grease, butterbean skins, spaghetti noodles and grease, etc. etc. I was the last trailer along the line, next to the curb and most all of this is damming up underneath our trailer!! I say something to them about their "campsite hygiene" and they look at me as though I had slaughtered their horses!!! They didn't seem to care, they didn't have to walk through this filth. This was in the camper parking area at the Tennessee Miller Coliseum, in Murfreesboro. It's a stone gravel lot but still, there's showers and bathrooms less that 150' from where they were parked!!!

WOMEN CAMPERS!!!!

Edited by retento 2008-06-17 7:59 AM
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-17 9:17 AM (#85800 - in reply to #85769)

I try to be considerate as much as possible. If I absolutely need to drop my gray water, I will open it so it trickles out all nite long to have less impact on the ground and my neighbors. If it is a pristine area or near a stream, I will bucket it elsewhere if my onboard tank is filled up. Alot of state and national parks have strict rules posted about no dumping of gray or black water allowed except at the dump station. Some will actually test for nitrates. I have always wondered how they could tell if the positive test was from your trailer or the trailer that was parked there before you. These are usually the places that have the no tying to your trailer  or in the camp, signs posted.

I guess there are always going to be the people that push the proper campground etiquette boundaries, like the dog walker that lets their dog poop in your designated space and then walks off leaving it for you to dispose of.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)