'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Slant Load Feeder Bags

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-23 3:11 PM
3 replies, 6364 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NorCal
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-23 10:26 AM (#84561)
Subject: Slant Load Feeder Bags

I have just purchased a new 3H slant gooseneck trailer and wanted to put feeder bags in for the horses.  There seems to be a real wide variety of bags available with the full range of prices from relatively inexpensive to rediculously overpriced.  Also, I am not real excited about having to drill a gazillion holes in the trailer to mount these to the sidewall and divider.  Anyone else gone through this and have solutions to offer?  My other trailer used hanging feeder bags, but with the drop down windows in the new trailer, they become a problem when traveling.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-05-23 10:39 AM (#84562 - in reply to #84561)
Subject: RE: Slant Load Feeder Bags

Expert

We feed hay when traveling, no grain. They can have their grain when they get to our destination, sometimes this may be as little as 30 minutes or as long as 14 hours..... They get an opportunity to drink water when I stop for fuel.

Feed bags, something else for them to paw at, tear up, and or get their leg caught up in. Six of them came with the new Cherokee trailer and I don't have a clue as to where they may be!! Me no like them. JMHO

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-05-23 11:13 AM (#84564 - in reply to #84561)

Extreme Veteran

My trailer came with loops welded to the trailer wall and dividers that were meant for corner feeder bags.  I didn't like their placement.  They were too low.  The problem of them being something for the horses to get their legs into, as retento mentioned, was apparent.  My wife and I bought some Justin branded ones that are really good quality for around $12 each.  I really didn't care to advertise for Justin, so I turned them the way they fit the best and welded my own loops onto the walls and dividers in a suitable location.  The bags hang from clasps and work very well.  The horses can still put their heads down underneath the bags, too.  We also only feed hay while traveling.  Just enough to keep them busy for the first few miles.
NorCal
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-23 3:11 PM (#84573 - in reply to #84561)

Thanks for the comments.  Based on the height of he dividers, I did not think there would be an issue with feet getting caught, but then again, I did not think I would have a dent 4 1/2 feet up my old high wall trailer either.  I happen to have one of the "Justin" bags you are talking about and a couple of "Kensington" feeder bags too.  Looks like I'll go ahead and continue using these and save myself a few dollars.  Thanks for the input!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)