'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hydraulic brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-22 8:53 PM
4 replies, 3026 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calfroper1
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-22 7:27 PM (#84501)
Subject: Hydraulic brakes

I purchased a trailer with hydraulic brakes I had a prodigy controller in the truck. When I apply the brakes they seem to work fine but when you try to go the brakes are hanging up for about a mile then they release. I was told to get a different brake controller in the truck I tried a brakesmart and it does the same thing. Does anyone have any other ideas.

Jim   

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-22 7:50 PM (#84505 - in reply to #84501)
Subject: RE: Hydraulic brakes

Check to make sure the pump quits running as soon as the truck brake is released. If it continues to run after release, it is a controller problem. If the pump stops immediately upon release, you may have something plugging the oil return orrifice in the pump. The fluid may need to be changed and the system cleaned. What brand pump do you have and how old is the trailer?
calfroper1
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-22 7:56 PM (#84507 - in reply to #84501)

It is a Ausco actuator which I have found out is out of buisness now. It is a 2002

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-22 8:45 PM (#84512 - in reply to #84501)

Extreme Veteran

More than likely it is the controller.  It is not compatable with hyd. brakes.  Read somewhere they have an adaptor or something to correct the issue or a different unit.  I don't remember but it has been hased over before on here. Do a search.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-22 8:53 PM (#84513 - in reply to #84507)

I know the Prodigy is not compatible with all brands of pump, but the brakesmart should be, and I doubt it is causing the problem. I would bet it is something in the pump itself. If the trailer has drum brakes, I would make sure they are not hanging up due to corrosion or bad return springs. Beyond that, I bet the pump is either dirty or bad. I'm not familiar with the Ausco pump so I'm no help in trouble shooting it other than flushing the system. Good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)