'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Advice for newbie. Frustrations w/ dealer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-02 11:16 AM
17 replies, 6472 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

busterchops
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-04-30 9:17 PM (#82869)
Subject: Advice for newbie. Frustrations w/ dealer.

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've exhausted the search option on this topic and am basiclly looking for advice on how to handle this situation.

Last year I purchased a used 4 star all aluminum GN trailer. When I went to look at it initially, I noticed water marks on the walls in the DR, which is inuslated and paneled. I brought this to the attention of the dealer (a LARGE local big name trailer dealer) both in person and over email. I was assured the leaks had been fixed and that I would have no problems using it for camping. I expressed my concerns and told them I had planned on camping, and finishing the DR. I took their word that it didnt leak and I bought the trailer. After the first big rain storm I noticed the GN area (where you'd put the mattress) was wet. I brought the trailer back and after keeping the trailer over a month they sealed/caulked the roof. Fast forward a couple months to a camping trip . I had put a mattress and bedding up there - after stoming all weekend, I didnt really think to check. Two weeks later i went to change bedding before my next trip - not only was my mattress and bedding saturated and stinky, but now the paneling had started to mold. I was told to bring it in when I was done with it and they'd replace the mattress and fix the leak again. I brought it in and they kept it for 4 mos. Over that time I emailed and called - basically I got the feeling I was getting blown off. I didnt put a lot of pressure on them being it was the colder mos and I wouldnt be using it much. 4 mos seemed a bit excessive as it only took 1 week to "fix" it again. They recaulked and sealed the roof, replaced two of the moldy panels and welded lips over the windows. I took it home. Winter thaw and spring rains come and it's leaking AGAIN - this time noticible on the floor, where i had a couple grain bags (which the wet bottom promptly gave way when I picked them up) I inspect further to find more moldy panels in the mattress area and more water damaged panels on the floor. I again bring the trailer back to the dealer. 4 weeks later I still do not have my trailer back, nor have they begun to fix it. I live close and when I drive by I can see it in the back lot - it hasnt moved. I have emailed and called and even confronted them at a recent expo. They were extremely rude to me and said they'd start it this past Monday for sure. I emailed again - again no response. Finally my horse-negative hubby must have heard enough of my complaining and went there himself today. They were rude to him as well and said they'd try to get to it tomorrow but they have no idea where the leaks are coming from so they're not sure what to do.  

I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences w/ "reputable" dealers and what they've done to resolve the problem. On one hand I am happy they are standing by thier word (I have it in writing it doesnt leak) but on the other, I am paying for a trailer that has spent half the time I've owned it in the dealership.

Thanks in advance for your help.  

**edited to add: The intent of this post is not to badmouth or bash this dealer, only to get advice from others on how to handle the issues/frustrations I'm having w/ them***

Edited by busterchops 2008-04-30 9:29 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-04-30 10:24 PM (#82875 - in reply to #82869)
Subject: RE: Advice for newbie. Frustrations w/ dealer.

Expert

Check out lemon laws in your state.... perhaps a bit of legal advice is timely..
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-30 10:58 PM (#82877 - in reply to #82869)

Expert

Time to talk to a lawyer. You have a written guaranty. It doesn't take months to reseal a roof, only hours. You can check roof leaks with a coloured water in minutes. You need to be proactive and demand a fix....... now.

Gard

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 12:02 AM (#82886 - in reply to #82877)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-04-30 11:58 PM

Time to talk to a lawyer. You have a written guaranty. It doesn't take months to reseal a roof, only hours. You can check roof leaks with a coloured water in minutes. You need to be proactive and demand a fix....... now.

Gard

I agreed with Gard...LAWYERS live for this stuff...

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-05-01 3:41 AM (#82890 - in reply to #82886)

Expert

LAWYER, LAWYER, and tell them that you are thinking of getting a lawyer if they act funny get your trailer out of there before you get a lawyer
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 5:32 AM (#82893 - in reply to #82869)

Regular

My advice is to take the trailer to another dealer for an evalutation. THe water repair/damage might be a much cheaper repair than you think. How do you know that any repair or leak was EVER started at the dealer. You should then call the manufacturer of the trailer. They may have a very strong opinion of how they want you to handle this situation also. Any horse trailer, RV can leak-- you need to find a repair person as soon as possible to avoid any further damage to your trailer..........You may want to disclose what area of the country that you are located so everyone on this forum can instruct you on other repair facilities that would be close by for you to call. Best of Luck!! Paul
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 5:33 AM (#82894 - in reply to #82869)

Regular

My advice is to take the trailer to another dealer for an evalutation or timely repair!!!. THe water repair/damage might be a much cheaper repair than you think. How do you know that any repair or leak was EVER started at the dealer. You should then call the manufacturer of the trailer. They may have a very strong opinion of how they want you to handle this situation also. Any horse trailer, RV can leak-- you need to find a repair person as soon as possible to avoid any further damage to your trailer..........You may want to disclose what area of the country that you are located so everyone on this forum can instruct you on other repair facilities that would be close by for you to call. Best of Luck!! Paul
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-01 8:16 AM (#82900 - in reply to #82869)

Veteran

Yep, call the MFR and ask what method they suggest for repairing roof leaks.  I'd bet $100 this company you're dealing with is just re-caulking over the old stuff.  My local RV repair shop just did that with a few teensy tiny leaks, but they told me flat out that the RIGHT thing to do was scrape off all the old caulking and re-seal the roof seams with 3" wide gooey tape designed for roof seams AND seal the edges of the tape.  That may not be what's best in your case, but what they're doing sure isn't working, so I'd be getting a second opinion.

busterchops
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-05-01 8:29 AM (#82904 - in reply to #82869)

Thank you all so much. We do have a 4 Star dealer fairly close so I can always take it there. My husband told them last night that if they are not able to fix it, we will find someone who will and send them the bill. Unfortunately due to the leaks, there is now mold and the paneling is warped and water damaged. So not only does the leak need to be fixed but the insulation and paneling will need to be replaced. I'm not even sure how much that will cost, but it doesnt sound cheap from what I've read about insulating/paneling DR's. I will also mention the lawyer idea and see what happens. I have the original emails from them saying they will fix it and replace the mattress etc. They have yet to even give me a new mattress.

I dont know what makes me more upset, them having my trailer for so long or them being so rude to me. I don't think I am being unreasonable by asking to have it fixed in a timely manner. They treat me like I'm a big inconvienience.

Thanks again. At least I don't feel like I'm over-reacting now.

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 8:49 AM (#82907 - in reply to #82869)

Veteran

Over reacting, not at all...with my temper I would have had their heads on a plate by now.  I would get a lawyer involved myself at this point, especially since you have email proof of what they are supposed to be doing.  Good luck.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-01 9:02 AM (#82912 - in reply to #82869)

Just curious...what state do you live in?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 9:21 AM (#82913 - in reply to #82904)

Expert

Originally written by busterchops on 2008-05-01 9:29 AM

Thank you all so much. We do have a 4 Star dealer fairly close so I can always take it there. My husband told them last night that if they are not able to fix it, we will find someone who will and send them the bill. Unfortunately due to the leaks, there is now mold and the paneling is warped and water damaged. So not only does the leak need to be fixed but the insulation and paneling will need to be replaced. I'm not even sure how much that will cost, but it doesnt sound cheap from what I've read about insulating/paneling DR's. I will also mention the lawyer idea and see what happens. I have the original emails from them saying they will fix it and replace the mattress etc. They have yet to even give me a new mattress.

I dont know what makes me more upset, them having my trailer for so long or them being so rude to me. I don't think I am being unreasonable by asking to have it fixed in a timely manner. They treat me like I'm a big inconvienience.

Thanks again. At least I don't feel like I'm over-reacting now.

At the very least, you have been taken advantage of. The dealer has not, and seems unwilling to, complete the terms of your contract. Their Email is very valuable to you, do not loose it. It turns a verbal agreement into a written contract. This is much more valuable to you, when you seek damages. Because he said it didn't leak, and it is he who has been unable to effect repairs, any subsequent interior damage is his responsibility.

Prepare a log, indicating the time periods in which your trailer was at his facility, the persons you talked with, the discussions you had, any communication concerning your problems.

Tell the original dealer that you have contacted an attorney, you will take the trailer to another dealer for repairs, and he (the original dealer) will be responsible for the costs. If he says again that he will fix it, have him put it in writing and make sure there is a completion deadline; 10 days max. Point out the additional damage, and make him agree that he is also responsible for these repairs... in writing.

Bring a witness with you during these discussions. In some states, a tape recorder in your pocket is illegal for you to use without the other party's knowledge. However, if your witness does a taping of the conversation without your knowledge, it can sometimes be admissible.

You have completed your part of the warranty process. You had to allow the original seller an opportunity to correct a fault. You did this, and because of his incompetence and delays, you now have sustained additional losses. Your attorney will undoubtedly advise you to seek repairs to negate any additional damage, and prepare a suit to seek damages. He will probably offer that you can now seek repairs at any facility of your choosing.

If and when you do seek an outside source for repairs, make sure a written evaluation of your trailer's damage is noted, before any repairs are started. Have the mechanic sign a statement of what he initially saw, and specifically, what individual corrections he had to make to effect repairs.

Good luck   Gard

Edited by gard 2008-05-01 9:48 AM
busterchops
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-05-01 9:21 AM (#82915 - in reply to #82869)

Trust me, I'd LOVE to put someone's head on a platter right now. I think I was just so floored by their comments and the way they've treated me.

I am located in MN.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-05-01 10:41 AM (#82919 - in reply to #82869)

Elite Veteran

busterchops I sent you a PM.
busterchops
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-05-01 11:04 AM (#82922 - in reply to #82869)

Gene - you have PM's.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-05-01 5:33 PM (#82941 - in reply to #82869)

Extreme Veteran

Well, leaks happen with any trailer brand. I would contact 4-Star and see if they can give you any advice on who to take kit too or how they could help. It isn't the end of the world.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-05-01 10:10 PM (#82956 - in reply to #82869)

Extreme Veteran

When you get the trailer home, tear out the paneling, get a hose and get your hubby to help you find the leak. I had a trailer in twice for a leak, which didn't get fixed. Got a hose out and found the leak in about 10 minutes, took the old caulk off and re caulk, end of problem. A friend that bought a used trailer tired to get a leak fixed at a dealer twice, gave up and got a hose out, found & fix it in about an hour. Sometimes it just easier to do it yourself.-Betty
busterchops
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-05-02 11:16 AM (#82976 - in reply to #82869)

Thanks for all your advice. I have a lot to go on now. I appreciate the help.

Sure does feel like the end of the world when the trailer has sat at the dealer for half the time I've owned it over a silly little leak.

I like the idea of doing it myself. Hopefully it won't be to expensive to tear it out and re -insulate/panel after fixing the leak (since the original paneling is now moldy and has water damage)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)