'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
THICK Foam - where can I buy it?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-02 1:10 PM
16 replies, 6400 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-04-26 10:32 AM (#82640)
Subject: THICK Foam - where can I buy it?

Charter Member

I was told the best thing to get for a mattress for my LQ conversion (I'm doing it myself) would be the thick foam like what is used for sofa cushions in LQ sofas, etc. On top of that, I'm supposed to get a memory foam mattress topper.

So....where can I buy that foam and cut it into the size/shape I want?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-04-26 11:06 AM (#82642 - in reply to #82640)
Subject: RE: THICK Foam - where can I buy it?

Expert

I am sure that initially lying on a "memory" foam mattress or a thick wedge of foam feels like a giant pillow.I have tried these types of mattresses in stores and have talked to friends that owned them for recommendations before buying a new mattress.My mattress currently is a Denver mattress with a memory foam pillow top.I can tell you from experience with memory foam mattress pads or mattress toppers that foam is HOT.It will probably be Ok in the wintertime,but,I find that I am burning up after lying on one and waking up a few hours later.And no,it's not because of hot flashes,either.I just personally,and others that I have talked to with experience with actual foam mattresses have found that it doesn't allow much air circulation,so,I find them to be uncomfortable.

You might try a foam topper for your own personal mattress in your home before you invest in a large piece of upholstry foam for a mattress.If you are 100% decided,however,check with yo ur local upholstry and furniture refinishing shops as a possible source.

bjos
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-04-26 4:34 PM (#82648 - in reply to #82640)

On our 1st living quarter trailer we used a thick foam-I think about 4 inches and if I remember right(it's been quite a few years) I purchased it at a Joanne's fabric store. If you do use this foam,I found out the easiest way to cut it to fit is with an electric knife. Also -if you decide on a topper you could always try a featherbed mattress topper.These can be purchased just about anywhere that they sell bedding. Just a thought!
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-04-27 6:40 AM (#82655 - in reply to #82642)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-04-26 11:06 AM

I am sure that initially lying on a "memory" foam mattress or a thick wedge of foam feels like a giant pillow.I have tried these types of mattresses in stores and have talked to friends that owned them for recommendations before buying a new mattress.My mattress currently is a Denver mattress with a memory foam pillow top.I can tell you from experience with memory foam mattress pads or mattress toppers that foam is HOT.It will probably be Ok in the wintertime,but,I find that I am burning up after lying on one and waking up a few hours later.And no,it's not because of hot flashes,either.I just personally,and others that I have talked to with experience with actual foam mattresses have found that it doesn't allow much air circulation,so,I find them to be uncomfortable.

You might try a foam topper for your own personal mattress in your home before you invest in a large piece of upholstry foam for a mattress.If you are 100% decided,however,check with yo ur local upholstry and furniture refinishing shops as a possible source.

I agree, I had one and it was hot and then it seemed like you would wake up stuck from the foam grabbing you...I ended up with a regular mattress and out a foam topper on it...Plus the foam isn't very good for my back..Need more firmness...Good luck..Some Walmarts carry the foam also...Or any upolstery dealer.Good Luck in your choice
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-04-27 11:14 AM (#82665 - in reply to #82640)

Charter Member

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_412_A_SubCatID_E_459_A_ProdID_E_3310

Someone else found this website for me. I can go as soft or as firm as I want.

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-04-27 1:28 PM (#82674 - in reply to #82640)

Veteran

www.efoamstore.com

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-04-27 1:39 PM (#82675 - in reply to #82640)

Expert

Check with your local furniture or automotve "upholstery shop".
scamper
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-04-27 2:40 PM (#82676 - in reply to #82640)

New User

Something else besides foam you could use for a mattress is a air mattress.  We have one and it is the best mattress ever.  We either got a full or queen and it fit in the nose with no problems.  We did have to get a electric blanket mattress cover to put on it, because it does get cold in the winter. 
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-04-27 10:35 PM (#82703 - in reply to #82640)

Charter Member

I can't go with an air mattress because, as I stated before, the space I have to put the bed in is " in-between" sizes. A full size mattress is 54" wide and a twin is much less. I have 48" of which I want to utilize as much as possible.

I added cabinets to the corner of my nose area (closest to the "interior") which is what made the space so much smaller.

kjstewart
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-28 6:31 PM (#82753 - in reply to #82640)

I got 4" foam from an upholstery shop then put a mattress cover on it and a king sheet. You can also try foambymail.com they have good prices and free shipping. I was just leery of getting something without feeling it first. Good luck!
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-04-28 7:53 PM (#82757 - in reply to #82640)

Charter Member

I found that foambymail.com website this morning at work. I think that is what I am going to go with. They have the best prices and the foam is all one sheet vs. the other site I was looking at where I was going to have to piece together two 24" wide sections. With my luck, the glue wouldn't hold and I'd end up in a crack. LOL
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-04-28 8:36 PM (#82760 - in reply to #82640)

Veteran

I will have to agree on the foam mattresses being hot!! Ours is comfortable but it seems to hold the body heat.
scamper
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-04-29 9:33 PM (#82819 - in reply to #82703)

New User

Originally written by Mandi/Abby on 2008-04-27 10:35 PM

I can't go with an air mattress because, as I stated before, the space I have to put the bed in is " in-between" sizes. A full size mattress is 54" wide and a twin is much less. I have 48" of which I want to utilize as much as possible.

I added cabinets to the corner of my nose area (closest to the "interior") which is what made the space so much smaller.

Sorry didn't know that.  We have cabinets in the nose too and there isn't much room either. 

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-05-01 8:21 AM (#82901 - in reply to #82640)

Regular

I'm near Albuquerque; in my neck of the woods, you at least USED TO be able to buy slabs of thick foam at a surplus store....I've bought several pieces there, including some 2" for under my trailer mats, some years ago. Just a thought....

Margo in NM( aka olehossgal)

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-05-01 6:24 PM (#82944 - in reply to #82901)

Expert

olehossgal

I hope your not in the path of the fire.  There was almost another one here.  A house upwind of us caught fire this morning and they had 15 trucks/crews out to contain it before these lovely 50+mph winds could spread it.  Ahhhhh.  I love sand storms, don't you? 

Edited by Terri 2008-05-01 6:26 PM
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-05-01 7:56 PM (#82947 - in reply to #82640)

Charter Member

I already ordered the foam and memory foam topper. If I don't like the memory foam topper, I am going to order a down topper.

Now I just wish it would hurry and get here. I can't finish my cabinets until I see EXACTLY how tall everything is going to be. I don't want my doors to not open because of the mattress, but because my cabinets are large, I don't want to just guess and put doors that are disproportionately too small. Make sense?

In the meantime though...I'm running into enough other situations that are driving me insane. The "friend" that is an electrician has HORRIBLE work ethic and I'm ready to knock him through the wall. He comes over and works on it for 10 minutes or an hour, then gets a phone call and leaves...always saying "I'll be back shortly" and never shows back up. I keep reminding him of my time constraints and he always says "When I'm done today, you can go ahead and finish the walls and ceiling paneling." So far, I haven't been pleased with where he's left at so I can't cover everything up. I want to take it to someone else, but only he knows which wire does what (there's several wires sticking out where the switches go and they control a variety of things...none are labeled).

I have 2 weeks to get it livable and preferably atleast 95% finished.

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-05-02 1:10 PM (#82987 - in reply to #82640)

Regular

No,Terri, thank the good Lord, I am not in the fire's path--it is about 30 mi. S and W of me.

Ot, but to explain...(For those 'non-New Mexicans--we have HORRENDOUS spring winds in our part of the country-Amarilloans will know about this, also--with the drought, fire is a VERY dangerous occurance. This now two-week-old-plus "Trigo" fire was thought to be fully contained, UNTIL the howling winds returned evening before last. 17,000 estimated acres of forest land burned, some residences included,  in the Manzano Mountains, last I heard...Today is ANOTHER awful day of wind--May 2 --temp at noon here-under48 degrees, with the wind chill, I'd bet not much above freezing; I needed ALL of my usual winter attire to do the chores this AM.... Colorado caught the SNOW, we get the 'side effect' of the wind....

Margo(olehossgal)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)