'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Tires

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-18 3:13 PM
6 replies, 6608 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

misssexysixarun
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-03-22 7:23 PM (#80153)
Subject: Trailer Tires

Regular

Ok.  I have owned my trailer for six years.  Bought it brand new.  I have now had 8 flat tires on it in the six years I have owned it.  7 of those 8 flats have been on the same exact tire.  Always on the curb side rear tire.  Two of those times have been from a nail in the tire.  The one flat that was not this tire was the one in front of it, due to the fact that the rear tire had went and I didn't notice it, and blew the one in front of it due to the weight.

This trailer is a Cherokee, 4 horse, 8ft short wall LQ, 8ft wide.  The stock tires that came on it are P235/60/16 8ply.

We have measured the axles and they both match, so I don't think the axle is bent now.

Could the tires be causing the problem as they are to small of a tire for the weight of the trailer?  I know they are, I just don't want to go out and buy brand new GOOD tires if it is going to keep chewing up the same tire all the time.

Every time this tire goes, it shreads the tread off from it, from the outside in.  I always check the air pressure and it is always at 60 where it is suppose to be.

So could it be the tire size and if I do buy four brand new bigger heavier tires, will this stop?  Why would it only affect this ONE tire?

Please advise.  I am tired of changing tires!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-22 9:30 PM (#80155 - in reply to #80153)
Subject: RE: Trailer Tires

Expert

If the tire thread is being shredded off all the tires in the same placement, there is something wrong with the axle on that end. I would suspect that the spindle or axle itself, it is bent in or out, causing a tow in or tow out condition. It could also bent vertically, causing a negative or positive camber. Any of these conditions will cause a tire to drag instead of rolling free. This can be a source of the thread shredding. The curb side tires and wheels usually take the most beating and wear, by dropping off the edge of the pavement and pot holes. Any incident could have bent the spindle or axle.

It is not a lack of capacity that's the source of this condition. If it were, all the tires would have a heavily worn thread, but not be damaged.

You need to take it your trailer to an alignment shop that has a frame machine. They can check you axle alignments as well as your wheel alignments.

BOL  Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-03-22 11:17 PM (#80160 - in reply to #80153)

Expert

I would take Gards advice first. But if you have the opportunity, I would start buying an "E" rated tire as replacements.

I don't know what your trailer weighs.  But my 4 horse, 8' LQ loaded ready to head out for the weekend is about 16,000lbs.  Put 25% of the total trailer weight on the gooseneck pin and that leaves 12,000 lbs on the axles.  Your tires ( I suspect are a 235/85/16 Load range D as there are no 60 series trailer tires) are rated at 3000lbs per tire at 65 psi.  4 tires @ 3000 lbs = 12,000 lbs total weight.  Which is what I suspect your trailer is close to. So you are running very close to your tires maximum rating. ( and at 60 psi, your weight rating is less than 3000 lbs per tire)

I would load your trailer up and drive it across a scale loaded and see how much it really weighs on the trailer tires. Your rig may have 20% on the hitch or it may have 30% on the hitch, So you won't know until you load up and weigh it.  If you are close to that 12,000lb number I'd upgrade to the next level of tires.  Which would be a load range E 10 ply at 80 psi. Some 10 ply "E" rated tires are rated as high as 3500 lbs per tire. That would give you a little extra insurance.  Also look at what your axles and rims are rated for. Even with the extra capacity of the heavier tires, you don't want to exceed what the axles or rims will support.

The 10 ply tire will offer you better protection against bruising the curb side tire, when you hit curbs, chuck holes etc.

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-03-23 9:28 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-03-23 5:11 AM (#80162 - in reply to #80153)

Expert

Never seen a P235/60R-16 load range...."D"?  Seen the P235/60R16, it rated at best for about 1700 pounds load, but never seen it in a load range "D"!! Go out and read that tire sidewall again and then read what size tire is stamped on the trailers serial number data plate. That trailer should have LT235/85R-16 or 235/80R16ST load range E (10 ply) or load range G (14 ply) tires. Those "P" passenger tires are squishy, mushy car tires that should not be on a "horse trailer"!! If the trailer has torsion axles and it's tilted up a little in the front ..... Then yes you will forever be blowing out the rear axle tires, specially the right rear!! If you are running those cheap Chinese tires... Then you are getting what you are paying for ...A bag of crap!!

Have we not talked about this before??? Put the correct tires on the trailer.

OR, call Cherokee and ask them what's suppose to be on the trailer. Ask for Mr. Tom Welchel!!

I remember this thread...  http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=8207&start=1

Edited by retento 2008-03-23 5:38 AM
mulelovermomma
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-18 3:06 PM (#93217 - in reply to #80153)

New User

mulelovermomma
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-18 3:11 PM (#93218 - in reply to #80153)

New User

It could be you have sand in your rims. Have the tire taken off and replaced to see if it could be that. You could easily have a bent rim due to the rubbing on a curb... I had the same problem and finally bought new tires.
mulelovermomma
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-18 3:13 PM (#93219 - in reply to #80153)

New User

Read this article also: go to
TheHorse.com and put in "the tire analogy" very good article.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)