'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
depth of mangers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-13 11:08 AM
3 replies, 3427 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-03-13 9:27 AM (#79425)
Subject: depth of mangers

Regular

and yet another question!

i will be ordering an 8'wide (7'6" tall) 3H LQ trailer soon.  i know i want mangers (looking forward to the extra storage) but more importantly, i need plenty of room in horse area for large horses.  (and enough room for a horse to turn around and walk out, rather than backing out, if absolutely necessary.)

i know there are mangers that are 24" deep, 18" and 15".  i was thinking about going with the 15" deep to make sure i have plenty of room in the horse area.

for those of you with mangers, will 15" deep mangers still be deep enough for most of the items you store in the mangers? i guess i should make a list of the items i think i will be storing in there and measure those items...buckets, folding chairs, hoses, ??????? blankets, ????   trailer will not have a mid tack but will have the back tack area.

what items do ya'll put in your mangers?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-03-13 9:36 AM (#79429 - in reply to #79425)
Subject: RE: depth of mangers

Expert

I will have to go measure mine, but what goes in them?  Here goes!  A portable Holland gas grill.  A piece of astroturf like carpet for my "porch" area under the awning.  There is a permenant fuel tank for the generator, generator is in the rear tack.  I have portable table,  folding chairs, solar lights, small tool kit, rechargeable impact wrench.  A large plastic bag you vacuum the air out of, containing winter blankets or sheets depending on season. My water & feed buckets, with snaps attached, my grain in it's orginal sack. My awning deflappers, & awning tiedown kit, stakes for same, hammer.  My bag containing my electric pen.  Regular extension cord, sometimes a large fan to set beside the lawn chairs to aid in cooling when setting outside. A siphon hose thing to aid in adding fuel into the generator's fuel tank if needed.  A spare bottle of propane.  All I can think of right now. Other stuff goes in the rear tack....!  As far as depth, all my critter's have neck's longer than 2 feet, so in standing, the depth of the manger should not be a problem for room, and in my 8' LQ, my 16h long bodied 1400lb QH can easily turn and walk out if need be.

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-03-13 9:39 AM
amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-03-13 9:58 AM (#79439 - in reply to #79425)

Regular

wow, i hadn't thought of all those things.  this will certainly be a learning experience.  thanks for that list.

i am currently using a 7'6" wide trailer with no mangers. the horses seem to love it and do have room to spare, but not as much as i would have thought.  maybe the 18" would be a good compromise...     

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-03-13 11:08 AM (#79464 - in reply to #79425)

Elite Veteran

The 24" manger only got real popular when folks started mounted gensets in them. Otherwise, the 18-20" has been fairly normal, but won't accomodate a generator compartment.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)