'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hoof Boots/Plastic Shoes Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-21 10:02 PM
12 replies, 5276 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

PaintGal
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2004-04-10 10:10 AM (#6766)
Subject: Hoof Boots/Plastic Shoes Questions

Regular

I was wondering what the thoughts were on using hoof boots or plastic shoes instead of metal shoes for trail riding. I'm considering the new Boa boots or the Old Macs or possibly plastic shoes. It seems many of the trails near me are covered with rock and I'm concerned that regular shoes just won't protect the sole & frog from bruises.

I have some questions for those that use them.

1. Do you use them on all 4 hooves or just the front? If only on the front, do you leave the back hooves bare or shoe the back?

2. Do the boots rub above the hoof?

3. Have the boots ever come off?

4. Is there a problem with the back hooves hitting the front boots?

I'd like to hear both pros & cons about the boots and/or plastic shoes. Please share your experiences if you've used the boots.

Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-04-10 4:36 PM (#6778 - in reply to #6766)
Subject: RE: Easy boot

Expert

I've used easy boots ... They're good. Properly fitted, protected the hoofs on rocky trails at Mt Rogers, VA

But they are anything but easy.  Hard to get on, hard to get off.  except when you don't want to.  If you're trail riding, get the red ones.  They're easier to find when they come off.

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-04-11 11:15 AM (#6807 - in reply to #6766)
Subject: RE: Hoof Boots/Plastic Shoes Questions

Elite Veteran

I do not find they are that hard to get on and off. It helps when you have a cooperative horse. You can also get the straps that connect to the boots then around the pastern so you don't loose them. A friend had them on and when she lost a boot (we wrer loping up a trail) the boot was hitting the horses legs until she got her horse stopped. Thankfully the horse "kinda" took that. I plan on using them on my old man this summer since I don't plan on shoeing him. I can't justify putting shoes on him all summer for 3 or 4 trail rides. I would put them on all 4 feet. If they do not fit properly, they will rub. If you are worried about overreaching, put on a good pair of bell boots.

Edited by krys 2004-04-11 11:18 AM
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2004-04-12 8:10 AM (#6852 - in reply to #6766)

Veteran

I've used Old Macs... they were OK but my horse wouldn't foxtrot in them, and they seemed to rub on his pasterns sometimes.

I've used EasyBoots... they were OK but they came off at the worst times, and once one of them comes off once, it KEEPS coming off.  I lost two of the four on ONE RIDE so after that I sold the rest.

I'm using Ground Control shoes on my horse now. ( www.plastichorseshoes.com)  We both love them... he is much more surefooted on pebbly areas now, they NEVER come off (even when you want them to *wipes sweat from forehead* ... make sure your farrier has a crease nail puller!), and if your horse steps on the back of one of these shoes he is much less likely to pull it off, since it flexes instead of lever-ing itself off.  They aren't that expensive compared to other synthetic/polyurethane shoes ($32 for a set of four), they're so easy to put on that many endurance folks are learning to do it themselves instead of using a farrier (me too), and they last for MILES and MILES.

I'm sold.   Let me know if you have any other questions.

rimshoes
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-04-14 2:14 AM (#6989 - in reply to #6766)

Extreme Veteran

I recently tried a set of boots from state line tack. They look like a hoof with a shoe on them, they have a strap at the back to tighten up and the come in variouus sizes to fit the hoof/shoes of my horse. My horse wears a size one and that is what i got. They were a bit hard to put on and even harder to take off, but the stayed on. They only covered the hoof and shoe so no rubbing happened.

http://www.statelinetack.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3...

Although it is a emergency boot it worked on level rocky ground and my horse did not mind them at all.

Wolf
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2004-04-14 8:41 AM (#7004 - in reply to #6989)

Regular

I've had the occasion to use the Easy Boot several times with my Walker and they worked well.  I agree that they are NOT easy to get off - unless you know the trick.  I use a hoof pick to dislodge the metal prongs on the inside of the boot before pulling it off.  It makes it considerably easier.  I would be willing to look at the plastic shoes though - they sound like a good alternative.
olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2004-04-14 9:23 PM (#7063 - in reply to #6766)

Regular

I have used Easy Boots on my Paint mare successfully. I have not used them very many times, but the times I have, it was a real test, on steep, rocky terrain. Have used them both over  shoes and when she was barefooted; once, had to put one on a front foot when she threw a shoe on the second day of a three day, rugged trail ride--she finished that day just fine, and went all the next day's ride, including a trip to a boggy streamside to get a drink. Have never had one come off, though I did buy a couple of the straps to add to keep them from being lost should they come off--haven't used them yet. Mine are the "original" style, have not had any trouble with either rubbing OR overreaching. They take a bit of effort to get on/off, but it's really not all that bad; I carry a flat blade screwdriver, as recommended,to use in removal, and use a flat nylon strap when putting them on-also as recommended.(And I am an old lady, and not as flexible nor as spry as I once was!!)

One of the secrets of success to Easy Boots, I think, is good fit; my mare has a nice round hoof, matching the shape of the boots well. Except for the incident related above, I have used them on all four feet.

The new "Boa" boots, made by the same maker as Easy Boot, interest me, but I would have concerns about rubbing, as they come up around the pastern...guess only time and many uses will really tell.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2004-04-20 12:42 PM (#7362 - in reply to #6852)

Expert

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2004-04-20 12:43 PM (#7363 - in reply to #6852)

Expert

Thanks for the info on the plastic shoes. I think I might try them on my gelding. He chipped his knee and regular shoes make him sore. Hopefully these will help him.
Mom4Melia
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2004-04-21 12:06 PM (#7450 - in reply to #6766)

Regular

I use Old Mac's.  They are great.  You just have to make sure you measure correctly for the right size.  Mine do not twist or turn or come off.  Melia did clip the back on my last ride but that was just a matter of taking her back toes back a little.  Melia will walk, trot and canter fine in them.  At first the horse picks up it's feet like, "what the heck?" but then all is fine.  They do not rub.  They do take a minute or two to put on.

I have been nothing but good about the boa's.  They say they are much easier put on and take off and they stay in place as well as the old macs and both cost the same. My friend is going to get boa's for her mare.

oh, I only put macs on Melias front feet.  Her back feet are bare.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2005-05-21 8:44 AM (#25416 - in reply to #6766)

goldie
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-21 10:53 AM (#25421 - in reply to #6766)

I used to use metal shoes made my mare sore. I use plastic shoes (front only) I trail ride  my horse would slip and slide over pavment and rocks now shes more sure footed  luv'em... only problem I had with them she pulled one of them off after 1st time on and one the second reset farrier needs to trim them to size and really get them shaped good  havent had a problem yet  got them at www.hoof-it.com   
rodear
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-21 10:02 PM (#26906 - in reply to #6766)

I have used Old Mac's for years.  They hold up well and stay on.  I had one horse go into a stock pond in mud up to his knees and the Old Mac's stayed on.  We use them only on the fronts, but it depends on how healthy the bare back feet are.

The key to success with any hoof boot is taking extra care with they measurements.  I always measure right after a trim.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)