'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Old Show Horse in a New Setting - Stressed-LONG

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-06 9:25 AM
24 replies, 6942 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 10:40 AM (#77152)
Subject: Old Show Horse in a New Setting - Stressed-LONG

Veteran

Hey all! Sorry I haven't been around for a bit. A big thanks to all who sent condolences when our mare came down with a mysterious illness in November and we euthanized in December.... we miss our Winter terribly.

We purchased a new horse for my daugter in late December. My daughter chose him because he was a "been-there-done-that" type. He's an 18 y.o. AQHA gelding, retired from the larger local show circuit. He was being used for kids in the MeQHA & other regional shows, as well as lessons. He is trained to the maxx.

I bought him from a friend who purchased him a little less than two years ago. He was dead quiet, almost too quiet for some.. never a wrong step, always calm, cool & collected. Perfect horse for a rider still in need of confidence building. He was shown successfully by a 4 y.o. last season in walk-trot.

He was very used to his "show horse" lifestyle - big stable, personal turnout off his stall, horses coming and going, lots of commotion, nothing really fazed him.

Turn the page ... we bring him home and for the first month and half I have to board him about 3 miles away from my place, as my barn was still under reconstruction. It's a small facility with an indoor arena. But more of a family farm than a show barn.

Almost immediately, this horse turns into a raving lunatic. He has become herdbound, screaming for the other horses when the are turned out, pacing his stall frantically. Dancing on the crossties, stall weaving. (He's a cribber as well, as are many show horses, but this has been reasonably controlled using a miracle collar). Plowing over his handler so that he can turn and see the other horses. When it is his turn to be turned out, he prances all the way to his pen (no longer is his turn out attached to his stall, it's about a 20 yard walk)

Ok, so I think, maybe because we cannot see him more than twice a week, he needs more handling. So I finally get my barn finished and brought him home this weekend.

Again with the nuttiness! He panics when he's cannot see the other horses. i.e. I turn him out into his round pen and go back to get the others. The others are together in a separate turnout, within viewing distance but cannot touch noses...During the time it takes for him to be "alone" either outside or inside, he's a nut case, bolting back & forth in his turnout or stall, screaming and reeling around. Once everyone is in their places, he settles down.

Of course, I have shared this with the previous owner, who was completely surprised by this behavior. When they bought him and brought him home, it was as if he'd always been there, he didn't skip a beat. My friend is well aware of my daughter's issues and would never had sold us a horse that would frighten or hurt her.

On the plus side, once he's under saddle, or if you put the halter and lead on as for showmanship, he remembers his manners and is pretty good. It's just when he's not "working." It's kind of like a Dr. Jeylk/Mr Hyde kind of thing going on. So, long story, sorry - but have any of you had any experience taking a horse who's been on the show circuit most of his life, and changing the scenery and routine? Have you had similar results? Do they finally adjust?

It's really quite a turn around for this guy. He was the epitome of the dead-broke kids' horse. Now my daughter won't even go near him. I have taken over the responsbility of this horse, and really do like him. He's a lot of fun to ride, and not being a western pleasure person, he's teaching me the ropes of western pleasure riding. He's that well-trained.  I just hope he settles so that my daughter feels comfortable handling him too. Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-02-18 11:06 AM (#77154 - in reply to #77152)
Subject: RE: Old Show Horse in a New Setting - Stressed-LONG

Veteran

I had the same exact experience with my mare. I bought her at the age of 22, she was an old roping horse who loved her job. Her pervious owner had had her for 10 years and never had a moments trouble out of her. He said that if kids came over to ride he would put them on her and turn them loose.
But when she came to my house she was a blooming idiot!! SHe prance danced, rared up, pulled you all over the place and she even ran away with me a few times.
She is now my most faithful ride and I would trust her with anyone, I think it was just a matter of her bonding with me.
But it did take almost 2 years for her to see the light. ANd I am sad to say that she was the reason for my son to lose total interest in horses.
See we lost his horse in a custody battle of sorts and I bought this mare for him and I to share, but when he saw her act like she did, he turned againist all horses. I can't get him to give her (or any horse) another chance.
Good Luck and take it slow
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 12:20 PM (#77157 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

Glad to see you back, Barstow. I have a friend who had a similar experience-she had a very well tuned dressage horse that was kept stalled and trained-he went out a few hours a day but would just pace the fence line when he was out.  When she got out of showing him she brought him to her place and it was a big change for him-long turnout, pasture buddies etc and he did exhibit some of the same behaviors as your new guy (although not quite to the extreme you are describing). He settled in completely after about 6 months or so.  What seemed to work best for her was to keep him on as much routine as possible-everything at the same time every day.  Kind of gave him something to "depend on" I guess.  I would also recommend a calming supplement for your guy until he settles in, just to keep him from harming you or himself.  Since you are an experienced horseperson I am assuming you haven't been loading him up on grain or anything..maybe they were feeding him too much at the boarding stable though, and he needs to work it out of his system?
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 1:10 PM (#77161 - in reply to #77152)

Elite Veteran

He is fearful because he has lost his place in the pecking order - hence he does not see you or your daughter as the Herd Boss. Some ground training such as Clinton Anderson. Pat Pareilli etc. Will increase his trust and respect with you.

Currently he has no respect for you and this needs to be resolved before going back under saddle. The herd bound issue will only get worse if it is not resolved through training. It may get to the point where he bolts back to the barn, dumps the rider, or worse injuries you or your daughter in his quest for the herd.

And I'm sure your daughter seeing this silly behavior will make her more fearful under saddle which transfers once again to the horse - making a visicous cycle.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 1:26 PM (#77163 - in reply to #77161)

Expert

I agree with PonyTammy's assessment of this situation. It looks as if an accident may be in the wings if it is allowed to go on.

Often the horse that is "dead broke" is the one that gets us hurt.I remember John Lyons asking this question at one of his seminars once.Which one were we likely to get hurt on? The young horse without much saddle time yet,or the old kid-broke horse we'd had in the pasture for years? It is the latter.

Please take her advice,and launch into some ground training rules by any of the good programs that you like and trust soon.Sounds like a very good horse that just needs some work to regain his status and establish yours.

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 1:47 PM (#77166 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

Yes, I had considered a calming agent. Can you recommend one that will really work? I think I have some Quietex in the barn somewhere. If I recall, it worked with my mini, but not my dominant mare.

As noted previously, he's a cribber. I read that cribbing (along several other causes) may be a sign of ulcers. I would not be surprised to find that a horse that has been restricted to life primarily in a stall or in a show ring might have ulcers. I have started him on aloe vera juice to see if that lessens the cribbing. Do you think aloe vera could also help calm him?

On the respect thing - definitely, he did not see me or my daughter as the "Dominant" horse. In fact, I have my doubts that he has ever, in his life, been allowed to "be a horse," and therefore may not have ever had a "place in the pecking order." I realize that taught or not, they do have a "herd instinct." He could simply be trying to test the water, for the first time.

The other day, at the boarding farm, before I brought him home, I went into his turnout to clean it out, petted him on the nose and turned my back to walk out. He came up quickly behind me and kind of took me by surprise. It wasn't an aggressive thing, I took it as an attempt to "play" but I don't "play" with 1100 lb animals - or it was a challenge to see what I would do. I did the "get big" thing - with my hands in the air and told him to back out of my space with a loud, deep "No." He just stood there, like he had no idea what I was telling him to do. I physically made him step back and left the pen. I came back with a crop which I waved with a firm "back" (which he knows from his groundwork training and from the saddle). There was no contact, I used as an extension of my arm (or a dominant mare waving her tail?) When he was backing out of my space to my satisfaction, I quit. Since that time, I have made it a point to make him move out of my space when I enter his pen or stall. It's a work in progress.

I have no idea if he's ever done any round pen work, but as soon as weather and conditions will allow, we will get started on that. I have read a lot of Mark Rashid, Chris Irwin and though not 100% a Parelli disciple, I do have his Level I DVD collection. I have used round pen work successfully with my other horses.

Currently here in Maine, everything is ice covered or snow covered. Not conducive for any kind or work other than in an indoor arena - which I can access on the weekends. I can do some simple ground exercises on the cross ties or in the stall, like moving the hip or shoulder over. That could be a start.... any other suggestions?

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 2:19 PM (#77172 - in reply to #77154)

Veteran

Monsterhorse - Thanks for your positive input with a happy outcome. I am beginning to bond with this guy, and I think he may be doing the same to a degree. His stall is next to the door and when I leave the barn he follows me to the end of his stall. In his turnout, (which is my round pen) he will follow along the perimeter as I move along the rail.

I really do like this guy and plan to stick out to the best of my ability! Even though I wouldn't have bought him for myself in the first place.

Edited by barstow 2008-02-18 3:07 PM
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 5:33 PM (#77186 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

Go to www.oxyinfo.com and click on horse formulas. There is a product that many are raving about for horses with ulcers which sounds like yours could possibly have(cribbing, nervous, etc...) I personally haven't tried it but according to some who deal with barrel horses, rope horses etc... they are having alot of success using this product. I am considering it for a couple of my horses, but have just heard about it myself. I read some testimonials on it and I believe that it was on a barrrel racing forum, but don't remember which one. Lots of positive feedback tho.
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 5:36 PM (#77187 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

Try this website www.oxyhors.com instead. Has more info and some testimonials.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 5:44 PM (#77189 - in reply to #77166)

Veteran

Calming agents are one of those things that you may have to try and see..what works for one horse will not work for another.  Finish Line's Thia Cal is a good one to try (plus I think they will send you a free sample if you ask).  There is also one by Adeptus nutrition called Allay that I have used and had good results with. I have actually heard of cribbers stopping after being on this one, probably in part because it contains an antacid.  I haven't heard a ton about aloe vera, I remember someone mentioning it to me once, but at the time I just thought ewwwww....can't imagine that aloe vera juice tastes good!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-18 6:53 PM (#77194 - in reply to #77152)

Expert

Odds are it isnt about him being a show horse but he was just accustomed to his surroundings. Horses are creatures of habit and this older gelding has been  around the same people,same barns and same routine for years. Some horses are also more attached to his herd than others. My guess is it will take time for him to adjust to a whole new world. Give him that time but don't let him rule the roost- demand manners...don't give a inch and get him back into some sort of routine. We bought a older arabian mare a few years back, very quiet and relaxed but not so much when we got her home. It took a few good weeks of getting her into a new routine and she did settle down. but a 1000 lb animal is nothing to be playing around with, he might need a very firm hand at first. Good Luck i hope it all works out for you and your daughter
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-18 8:16 PM (#77203 - in reply to #77152)

Expert

If this horse has this much energy to burn, I would put him on an oats and grass hay diet and give him a job... along with the other plans you have already indicated.  A lot of horses get very well fed for not working very hard, and it shows in the very fresh attitudes they exhibit.  Kind of old fashioned but worth a coupla months try. As he settles in and gets sorted out, gradually bring him up to what extras he may need, perhaps get the opinion of a veterinarian as to his condition and as it changes hopefully with lots of happy riding, his increasing nutritional necessisites.

Edited by flyinghfarm 2008-02-18 9:38 PM
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 7:12 AM (#77236 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

barstow- I am so glad to hear that your gonna stick it out with this horse. Many people begged me to get rid of my mare when she acted like such a fool, but I saw something in her that others didnot. I have only had this one horse act like this when she came here, the others really didn't give a flip where they were as long as they were getting fed and still feel that way!!

Misty (my mare) finally became real attached to me, she really doesn't care if other horses are around or not, as long as I am there she is fine. Still to this day (4yrs later) when I take her somewhere, she can be at the trailer with 6 familuar horses and thats not good enough, she wants to see me and whenies(sp?) and looks for me until she can see me.

In my opinion, if you keep working with your horse, you 2 will develop a bond like you have never known before, and I can tell you first hand, THATS A WONDERFUL FEELING!!

Just remind your daughter that her horse is scared and needs time to get to know his new family, and that it is like if she had to go and live somewhere new, it would take time for her to trust her new surrondings.

I really hope things work out as great for you as they did for me!! Please keep us posted!!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-19 9:17 PM (#77338 - in reply to #77152)

Hi Barstow....you are already familiar with Mark Rashid;  he is the one who put me onto the B1.....I highly recommend it....
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-03 9:56 AM (#78541 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

B1 as in Vitamin? Orally or injected? Thanks!

He's still stressed, very herd oriented, but does listen when you make him! My problem for a time was that I kept him at a boarding facility where he was allowed to prance and general behave badly.

I have him home now, he still a nut case, especially when other horses are removed from his sight, or if a horse is ridden away from him. I still believe this can all be worked out with patience and firmness. I cannot work with him as much as I would like to, due to weather conditions. Spring is nowhere in sight!

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-05 11:23 AM (#78712 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

I've never been your extreme situation before, but I did have a QH gelding that stressed easily when we went anywhere, and the Quietex worked well for him.  If any horse had ulcers, I'm sure it was him.  I always allowed 2 hours for it to take effect.

Also, someone mentioned that if your horse has a lot of energy, put him on an oats and hay diet and put him to work, but my personal experience is that the oats will increase that energy level.  A good quality hay may be sufficient for him, but if required, you can maintain a high caloric intake by using vegetable, corn or canola oil instead of oats, and avoid the high energy burst at the same time.  Canola is cheapest here, so that's what I use, and my horses like the taste.  Starting with a dose of 1/4 cup to top dress on their food, you can increase it by 1/4 cup every 5 days or so until you max out at 1 1/4 cups per day.

A local breeder/trainer swears by barley instead of oats, but as it is apparently not as palatable to a horse, she soaks the barley and then mixes it half-and-half with her oats.  She says they gain/maintain better on it, and have less energy to burn off.

I wish you luck.

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-06 1:23 PM (#78810 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

I have been "experimenting" somewhat with his feed. I am a firm believer in "less grain, more forage," but of course it depends on the horse. This horse is not exactly a "hard keeper" but neither is he easy. I don't like graining when they are not working, but at the same time, I am struggling to maintain a decent weight on him. I am not a big fan of oats either. It may be just something stuck in my mind from childhood - oats=high energy. Is that incorrect?

When I purchased this horse, he was getting 2lbs of Poulin Endurance (6% fat/11% protein), twice daily and 3 flakes of grass hay daily. He was being worked lightly, a couple times a week.Now, he is not being worked at all, and I am slowly switching him over to Equi-ProMax Pellet (12%/12%) and have cut him down to 1.5lbs twice daily. I have upped his hay to 4-5 flakes daily, though sometimes he wastes it.

I have also started giving him well-soaked beet pulp once a day. This has soy oil in it, no molasses. I have seen some weight gain and believe he's become somewhat quieter. Little baby steps, but we are getting there.

He's going to be a stall-walker forever, but at least he will stand still if I go into the stall and instruct him to knock it off.Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride him for 3 weeks, due to weather conditions. I do not have an indoor arena - and we have been getting storm after storm. If there isn't 2-feet of snow, there's 3 inches of ice. At this point I can't even get my trailer out to bring him to my friend's indoor arena. I am probably looking at least another two weeks before I can start riding again. So when I do get on him - it's going to be interesting.

When he is handled - walking to and from his turnout, put on the crossties for grooming, etc - he is not allowed an inch of foolishness. It's all business and he is managing to focus now. I have found that you simply cannot cut this guy any slack. It's like watching a toddler. He can't help himself, but he will mind if you make him. Any other suggestions to up the weight but keep the energy low?

Edited by barstow 2008-03-06 3:00 PM

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-06 2:22 PM (#78817 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

fat, fat, fat...keeps the weight on without the energy.  I would also use something like Ration Plus or Probios to help him process what he is getting more efficiently.  Other than that, sounds like you are doing good.  BTW, we are getting a taste of Maine here in North Texas today, in Fort Worth they are saying we may get 3-5 inches of SNOW!!  last time we got that much snow was in 1924, apparently.  Just amazing for us.
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-06 2:53 PM (#78821 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

so much for "global warming!" This has been a typical Downeast winter here, but we haven't had a typical one for several years. We are all quite ready for spring, including the horses!
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-03-06 9:04 PM (#78850 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

barstow,
My mare that acted the same way as your guy does, only gets Safechoice it is a nutrena feed that is great at putting weight on but has no added sugar or Carbs so there is no highs and lows. It gives my mare the energy she needs but nothing more. On any other feed she is just to "HOT" to ride.
I also have a 5 year old gelding that I was told by his previous owner he was a bad boy!! Well,I bought him home, I put him on Safe Choice, gave him a few weeks to get use to his surroundings and now I can put ANYBODY on him, its funny because he is the youngest horse I have but he is the first one I pull up when a beginner wants to ride. His old owner couldn't believe it.
Good Luck and don't get frustrated!!
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-03-08 6:33 PM (#79035 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

This guy is not hot to ride at all. In fact, you really have to keep a leg on him to keep him moving at all. Once he's warmed up, he will do whatever you ask - but he does get distracted by the other horses - I have to keep him busy or he totally loses focus.

It's just in his stall, or in his turn out - he gets frantic if the other horses are not "in there place." It's s-l-o-w-l-y getting better. Though his cribbing has started to increase. He's just bored now.

I am just hoping that this behavior doesn't start under saddle, simply because I haven't been able to work him for few weeks. I expect that he will be somewhat a knucklehead, but will settle down after a few trips around the rail.

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-04-02 2:26 PM (#80983 - in reply to #77152)
Subject: RE: Old Show Horse in a New Setting - Stressed-Update

Veteran

Just an update on ol Zippy. He is FINALLY settling in. He still has him moments and I have figured out what triggers his emotional reactions and have tried to adjust the routine accordingly.

There are some things that are simply not going to change - that is once I start bringing horses in or out, he starts frantically pacing, either in his stall or his paddock. But once everyone is in their places, he's fine. He also paces at feeding time, nothing alarming there!One thing that has improved enormously is that if he is in hand, he does not over-react anymore at all. He listens, is focused and responsive. He now knows that while he is no longer at a "show barn" he is still expected to "toe the line" anytime he is haltered and with a handler.

I have switched him to a high fat grain, added Aloe Vera Juice and Vita Calm (Vit B1 and L-Tryptophan) to his daily feed. I am satisfied with the results.

I am really beginning to like this guy. My daughter isn't 100% convinced and still does not like handling him - though she does plan to show him in our local shows this summer, because, with a little effort on her part, she could potentially do very well.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-04-02 4:03 PM (#80992 - in reply to #77152)

Expert

Glad to here this...good luck!
karrenb
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-06 9:10 AM (#83256 - in reply to #77152)

New User

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a new horse who is dead quiet as well.  She has only been at her new home for a week, but she is very stressed and has lost weight.  She is soooo nervous and I feel for her.  I have studied Parelli and plan to do some ground work and games with her. 

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-05-06 9:25 AM (#83259 - in reply to #77152)

Veteran

Poor dear. I put my guy on a B-Vitamin calming agent called Vita-Calm. It seemed to help. He's doing exceptionally well now and I have pretty much weaned him off it.

I am not a big fan of Parelli for every horse. Some horses are good with it, some are freaked out. It may or may not be helpful. Just go slow.

A week isn't all that long, so give her some more time. What are the circumstances of her stabling? Is she inside? Outside? Run-in? Within viewing distance of other horses? How much of her former situation can be re-created in her new home?

Are you feeding her the same stuff she was being fed before? Perhaps she doesn't need as much if she's not being worked much. Does she have free access to hay? Give us some more details and maybe we can come up with something that will work for her.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)