'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Rental Is Now Available Nationwide

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-31 1:23 PM
12 replies, 14542 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NATDA
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-28 11:50 AM (#75444)
Subject: Trailer Rental Is Now Available Nationwide

If you have ever wanted to rent a trailer whether it be a cargo, utility, horse, livestock, and even yes, Living Quarter Trailers, read the following from the NATDA website.  For years dealers have wanted to be able to offer rentals but the insurance to do so was cost prohibitive, and most times not available.  NATDA is proud to be able to launch this new program, and now you the end user will be able to get one when you need it, or try before you buy.  I know myself there have been so many times that I need a car hauler for the weekend, or a living quarters for a show or trailride, and owning it just didn't fit into my budget, or needs.  We are so excited to be able to bring this to the industry.

If you are interested in renting a trailer, ask your local dealer to get signed up with this program.  It is available nationwide, and getting set up is very easy.

MBA insurance, the leader in RV Rental Insurance, has launched the first ever Trailer Rental Insurance Program for NATDA Members.  We at NATDA did a soft launch to members of our advisory board, and were happy to hear that Leslie Gustafson of White Spruce Trailers in North Pole, Alaska was the first dealer to put the rental program into place.  On her first day of rental Leslie put a trailer out for a 90 day rental, and called to thank us for the program and to express how easy it was to add another source of income to her dealership!  Other members have jumped on board and we now have several dealers implementing a rental program.  Trailer rental will continue to make a huge impact in 2008 as history has shown through the RV community that even when sales are slow, rentals remain strong.  If you would like to know more about the Trailer Rental Insurance Program contact the NATDA at 727-360-0304.

You can receive more information about rental at www.natda.org  or by emailing info@natda.org

Edited by NATDA 2008-01-28 11:58 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-01-28 12:08 PM (#75445 - in reply to #75444)
Subject: RE: Trailer Rental Is Now Available Nationwide

Expert

Best of luck with the new nationwide program!  For many people, aside from the availabilty for the rider needing a LQ trailer once or twice a year, there should also be great interest from all the folks who are asking "Can my 3/4 or half ton pull ________________ trailer?"  Now, they can try it out in a real world situation with the knowledge that the trailer is insured and that they have not just bought too large/small trailer for their needs.  Using a trailer for a week will certainly make for a more informed public with a real idea of their needs, and limitations!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-28 12:17 PM (#75446 - in reply to #75444)

Expert

flyinghfarm, sorta like a "try before you buy"!

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-01-28 4:09 PM (#75461 - in reply to #75444)

Expert

More interestingly is there is going to be a USED rental trailer market developing...I for one will be curious how well some horse trailers will hold up as a rental unit rather than as an OWNED unit...I say this because, I remember what U-Haul rental trailers looked like after a couple of years rental and they were built like TANKS...
NATDA
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-28 4:37 PM (#75467 - in reply to #75444)

Paul, we have heard from alot of dealers regarding rental, and they are all very excited. I know that some dealers have been renting trailers "under the radar" and hoping no damage occurs. We are now bringing them a real rental program for new, used, and consignement trailers (if they so wish) The RV industry has been renting units for the last 35 years, and dealers that started with just a few units in their rental pool have in some cases expanded to fleets of 50+ units. I personally rented a RV from El Monte RV Rental just a few weekends ago. It was a Class A 34'. The unit was three years old with 45,xxx miles, and was very clean and well kept. Dealers will have to be selective especially on living quarters units, but what a great way to try out the lifestlye, and trailer. Sometimes when a person isn't sure of ownership renting it a few times, and getting comfortable with the unit sometimes turns into a purchase.

Edited by NATDA 2008-01-28 4:39 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-01-28 9:34 PM (#75496 - in reply to #75467)

Expert

that is good new now if a trailer goes in for repairs and it is going to take a time you can rent one wow that is a life saver
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-01-29 5:52 AM (#75501 - in reply to #75467)

Expert

Originally written by NATDA on 2008-01-28 4:37 PM

Paul, we have heard from alot of dealers regarding rental, and they are all very excited. I know that some dealers have been renting trailers "under the radar" and hoping no damage occurs. We are now bringing them a real rental program for new, used, and consignement trailers (if they so wish) The RV industry has been renting units for the last 35 years, and dealers that started with just a few units in their rental pool have in some cases expanded to fleets of 50+ units. I personally rented a RV from El Monte RV Rental just a few weekends ago. It was a Class A 34'. The unit was three years old with 45,xxx miles, and was very clean and well kept. Dealers will have to be selective especially on living quarters units, but what a great way to try out the lifestlye, and trailer. Sometimes when a person isn't sure of ownership renting it a few times, and getting comfortable with the unit sometimes turns into a purchase.

I don't doubt that the RV was nice, humans tend to be slightly less destructive than horses......I've just read too many stories as well as witnessed a few of what an unruly horse can do to the inside and in some cases the exterior of a horse trailer...(The infamous Exiss story on this very site, could be a precursor of stories to come...)

I hope it works out for the organizations involved, because I think there has been a need for this service, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if there are too many insurance claims...the system will be bent badly...

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-29 9:41 AM (#75520 - in reply to #75444)

Expert

I hope this concept works. Obviously the RV world has been greatly expanded by this concept, and every where you travel, rental Rvs are constantly in the forefront.

It should be very cost effective for the renter. If you figure the LQ costs, not just the purchase price, but upkeep, taxes, licenses etc, and divide that number by the times the trailer was used, the cost per usage is significant.

On a cost per usage basis, a RV owner can very easily stay in the best resort with every amenity, much less expensively than the cost of his RV. Of course he will not have the freedom of travel, but he also won't have generators or parties next to his window all night.

The appeal of trying out a LQ while contemplating the purchase of one, should have a great appeal to many people. This is commonly promoted in the purchase of many things, condos, automobiles, sports equipment etc. Having a rental as a "back up" while your trailer is out of service would help owners while their trailers are being repaired.

For horse owners who want a vacation with their equestrian family, their wishes are now a reality. For the horse owner that only envisions a two or three time a year usage, the rentals will be very cost effective.

I would only question how many dealers, if any, will be available in your area. If this fledging business does work, how quickly will it expand to service your area? When would you actually be able to rent such a trailer? I'm afraid the answer will be measured in years, not weeks or months.

Great idea and I hope it works.

Gard

NATDA
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-29 11:42 AM (#75527 - in reply to #75444)

I think that it will be available very quickly depending on if the dealer in your area wants to get into rentals. We have had six dealers this morning alone fill in the questionaire, and MBA insurance can get them set up and in business within days. Dealers take notice, as trailer sales have faultered with the economy, rental can be a viable option. If you are interested in rentals contact your local dealer, and let them know that there is now an insurance program in place to allow them to rent trailers. They can contact the NATDA for more information. The program will move as quickly as the dealers respond. NATDA

Edited by NATDA 2008-01-29 11:45 AM
NATDA
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-30 3:18 PM (#75630 - in reply to #75444)

Within the next few weeks, NATDA will have a page up on our website www.natda.org that will list all of the dealers that are offering trailer rental, and it will specify the type of trailer that they rent.  This list will grow as dealers add rental to their dealership.

NATDA

Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-30 3:46 PM (#75633 - in reply to #75444)

Veteran

I hope this works. What aboout dealers that have their new and used trailers floorplanned? Will individuals be able to rent their own trailers out through a dealership?
NATDA
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-01-31 9:27 AM (#75701 - in reply to #75444)

Good question.  Trailers that are floor planned will not be able to be in a rental pool.  The floorplan company will not allow it.  Consignment trailers can definately be rented.  This is very common in the RV industry.  Here in Florida, there are two RV rentals stores near us that only rent customer owned RV's.  Of course the dealer will have to be selective to ensure that the rental unit is well taken care of, but it is a great way to help make the payment on a trailer that may otherwise be sitting.  I have seen this program work very well with consignment RV's.

NATDA

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-31 1:23 PM (#75733 - in reply to #75501)

Expert

don't doubt that the RV was nice, humans tend to be slightly less destructive than horses

Ya need to get out more. 

On our summer vacation we saw LOTS of the rental RV's and some of the people that were in them.....   There were some college age people that were so rowdy (not sure what they were doing) inside the RV that is was rocking.  I think they were trying to flip it over.  They were "asked" to leave the campground.  Some others had a dozen people staying in a RV designed for 5 or 6.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)