'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
A few LQ Questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-07 2:33 PM
6 replies, 3849 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-06 8:35 PM (#73895)
Subject: A few LQ Questions

Charter Member

1. What size generator do I need to handle the follow items: AC, TV or radio, microwave, water pump, fridge, occasional hair dryer (some people have advised I need to turn big stuff off when I use that) and probably a laptop???

I've narrowed my decision down to either Honda or Onan (not the deluxe, real expensive ones though), definitely with an electric start. I am HORRIBLE at starting things with recoil and I can just see myself at a rodeo, alone (and shy) trying to start the darn thing and flipping off the roof of my trailer because I'm clumsy, accident prone and hate those things. Any pros or cons with either??

2. Any tips or tricks to mounting my generator in my hay rack? Any disadvantages?  Our trailer is small and I am assuming that putting it there is much better than in the bed of my truck. I don't really have any other use for the hayrack anyhow (going to put a fresh water tank up there for extra horse water as needed). I'm concerned about the vibration on the roof.

3. Our rear tack is collapsable though we have no intentions of ever taking it down. On long trips, "moisture" runs under the wall of the rear tack and gets anything on the floor wet. Any solutions?

We are currently considering one or both of the following:

A. Buy a rubber mat 1/2 or 1" think and cut it to fit in the rear tack on the floor. It will be built up higher than the remainder of the rear of the trailer so any 'flowing moisture' will divert around the RT.

B. Buy a thin, flexible rubber mat and cut it into a strip a little wider than the gap between the wall and the floor. Mount it on the outside (horse's side) of the RT wall so it also acts as a diversion around the RT.

4. Do I have to install some sort of antenna or anything to get good reception on my TV from the LQ?

5. We are converting a trailer with a 4' SW. I'm planning to somehow mount a flat panel TV on the slant wall where there will not be anything else (door on driver's side - most stuff will be on the opposite side). I want to be able to connect a DVD player as needed. Any recommendations or should I just plan on setting the player on the counter and running cords to the TV as needed??

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-07 6:13 AM (#73904 - in reply to #73895)
Subject: RE: A few LQ Questions

Expert

Get at least the 3000 watt unit if you want to run the stuff you say.

You will still have to turn off something when you run the hair dryer.  It will not run the A/C  Micro and Hair dryer all at the same time.

Get as quite of a generator as you can afford.

Get a generator with Invertor technology. Hightech devices like computers and flat screen TV's don't like the Non-Invertor sine waves of the cheaper generators.

Honda EU3000is  is list priced at $1995.  Check out a comparable Onan. The Honda is about 140-150 lbs Not something you want to move by yourself.

Yes your TV will need some sort of Antenna

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-01-07 10:28 AM (#73923 - in reply to #73895)

Elite Veteran

I went through this shopping exercise last summer and if you do a search on generator shopping on this forum lots of good info was shared.

I narrowed my choices to the Honda and Onan gas powered inverter generators and ended up with the Onan, only because total cost (purchase price plus shipping) was cheaper for the Onan than the Honda.  We have an Onan backup generator hard wired to our home electrical system and have had no problems with it and experienced really good customer service from Onan so that made it an easy decision.  I have heard good things about the Honda generators as well though.

Definitely agree on the inverter generator if you are going to power a laptop and TV.   They are alot more expensive but then so are TV's and laptops.  3000 is about as small as you would want to go. 

I mounted mine in my collapsible rear tack.  My husband built a wood frame to hold it in place and screwed it to the wood trailer floor through the rubber mat.  I have not yet used it in the trailer (its only outing so far was being loaned to someone who didn't get a hookup at a show), but intend to use it with the rear tack door open.  Its mounted with the exhaust pointed out.  I have a midtack also so can keep anything of value in the midtack while I leave the rear tack door open.  And, I don't have to wrestle it in and out of the trailer or worry about it getting stolen because I can lock the rear tack door when I'm not around. 

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-07 10:44 AM (#73924 - in reply to #73895)

Charter Member

We are planning on mounting it in the hayrack. I can't put it in the rear tack as I need ALL the space I can get back there (no midtack either).
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-07 10:46 AM (#73925 - in reply to #73895)

Charter Member

I don't have to use the Generator to charge the laptop. I've got a converter thing in my truck that I use to power it as well. I just thought I may need it.
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-01-07 1:58 PM (#73938 - in reply to #73895)

Veteran

I love my generator on the roof. Last time out, I had to work on it and it was so easy compared to being in a manger storage. Mine is rubber mounted to help with vibration...the only thing I wish was that the exhaust was directed towards the rear instead of the side. Less noise and wouldn't bother horses tied to that side of the trailer. I have a removable tack also, I use lotds of shavings and no "Moisture" problems! 3000 will handle your needs, but a 4000 is better...I'd rather have a little more than keep tripping breakers.
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-01-07 2:33 PM (#73940 - in reply to #73895)

Regular

I had an on board generator installed on my latest trailer & its the best money I have spent. It was installed in my hayrack, with a remote start & gas gauge in the coach. The only complaint I had was the vibration that resulted by putting in the hayrack. I don't even notice it now, but the first trip was tough! I do like it in the hayrack though, because it left me the space in the mangers.

I have a 4000 W and can run anything I want. Satellite, AC, microwave, etc., and only the hair dryer draws it down a bit. A 3000 will work, but you will only be able to run a few things at a time.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)