'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
dumb question: battery problems when hooked to electricity

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-02 4:55 PM
7 replies, 4193 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

puglady
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-02 12:45 PM (#73614)
Subject: dumb question: battery problems when hooked to electricity

This is most likely a dumb question but I need to understand how this works and why there is a problem.

When we aren't using our LQ Platinum trailer, we hook it up to electricity.  Since its so cold here in AR, I have a heater running inside to keep it from freezing.  I went to check on things inside and the electric heater I plugged in worked okay, but none of the LQ lights would work, the microwave light was on and the battery meter said the batteries were dead.

Hubby took batteries in to be checked.  When I asked him about why the lights wouldn't work when we were hooked up to electricity he mumbled something about still needing the batteries to starts things.  That made NO sense to me.  I asked him about if a fuse was blown and didn't get an answer, he just said the trailer uses batteries like crazy.

If I am hooked to electricity and the batteries are low or dead, why won't the lights come on?  Why was the heater I plugged in working?

Is there or should there be a way I can turn the batteries off when hooked to electricity to "save" them?

Thanks in advance for any explanations/suggestions.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-02 1:18 PM (#73617 - in reply to #73614)
Subject: RE: dumb question: battery problems when hooked to electricity

Expert

I am going to try to help with the info provided, If you have a conventional converter(lots of models) it will have the Electric Breakers and the Batteries fuses in the same box. If you have this setup the lights should work even if there is no battery in the trailer. If this is your setup you may check the breaker that the charger is run through to see if you are in fact charging the batteries, some of these converters also have a 12volt "main" fuse that needs to be in tact for the system to work properly. Hope this helps and I didn't make it more confusing.
puglady
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-02 1:50 PM (#73621 - in reply to #73617)

thanks, I've got a bit to learn.

I wouldn't know a 12volt main fuse if it bit me nor twhat the breaker is (I know what breakers are in the house, and I know where the LQ fuses are).

When I have looked into the battery box, all I see are two batteries, but then I never really looked closely to try to figure out how it works.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-02 2:40 PM (#73629 - in reply to #73621)

Expert

Where did you take your batteries to check them?  A camper place or an automotive place?  Most auto places don't know how a camper is wired and wouldn't be able to answer your quiestions.

In my camper the breakers and fuses are in the same box.  Our camper is set up so that the battery powers all the 12volt even when hooked up to shore power so if the battery is dead the 12volt lights won't work until the battery starts charging.  If the battery is disconnected they won't work at all.  Check your fuses and see if any are blown or if any of the breakers are tripped and causing your batteries to not charge. 

Edited by Terri 2008-01-02 2:42 PM
puglady
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-02 3:00 PM (#73633 - in reply to #73629)

Hubby is taking batteries to a auto/truck/farm machinery place.

I'm on here asking questions cause I know the auto places and farm stores in this town would be clueless - y'all know much more than any place in our dinky town.

I  will look for the breakers, I know the fuse box is in the LQ, but will have to explore to discover what  breaker is.

Logic would have told me that if the batteries were dead and it was plugged into electricity the electricity would run the lights and such.   I thought that when I was plugged into the electricity, it basically turned the battery "off" and didn't drain or run off the battery.  Why is that not so?? 

I

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-02 3:20 PM (#73635 - in reply to #73614)

Extreme Veteran

I think you will find that your batteries are fine, and you have
a blow fuse somewhere. Have the lights ever worked inside when you are
hooked to power? If you can't find a blow fuse, call your LQ conversion place they will likely be able to tell you what to check right away. One time I couldn't figure out how to get the lights in my horse area to turn off. Turned out there was a switch for the horse lights in the bathroom. I could never figure out what that switch was for. Bunkhouse knew what it was before I even finished telling my story.
-Betty
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-01-02 3:23 PM (#73636 - in reply to #73635)

Extreme Veteran

One more thing, I started putting the fuses in that glow when the burn out. Cost more, but well worth it. My eye sight isn't what it use to be. :-)

-Betty

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-02 4:55 PM (#73651 - in reply to #73614)

Expert

I have two interiors built by two different companies. As a result, my trailers work differently from each other, in so far as battery charging and what will work on an outside power source.

One will not provide interior lights until the batteries are partially charged, the other will allow a full interior electrical function with the batteries disconnected.

The chargers/converters and the applicable charging systems are installed according to the best ideas used by the interior LQ companies. The same brand trailer with different LQ interiors may be wired differently and use different electrical components.

In both of my trailers, the batteries are automatically charged with the ac cords connected and the battery switches are in the "on" position. If you are constantly encountering dead batteries, and the batteries test good, then a breaker or fuse is open, or the charger/converter has failed.

A knowledgeable RV electrician should be able to quickly determine the source of your problem. It is less expensive to trouble shoot your electrical system than start changing parts in hopes of finding the problem. A wiring print from the LQ installer would do wonders in trying to determine a problem.

BOL  Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)