'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horseback Riding Vacations

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-03 5:44 PM
23 replies, 12856 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-12-21 8:45 PM (#73270)
Subject: Horseback Riding Vacations

Elite Veteran

Has anyone taken an Equitour Horseback Riding Vacation? If so, where and would you recommend your location? Also been looking at Red Rock Ride in Utah. Anyone done this ride? Or how about Bitteroot Ranch in Wyoming?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-12-21 10:42 PM (#73274 - in reply to #73270)
Subject: RE: Horseback Riding Vacations

Expert

I can't speak for the Red Rock Ride as a guide service.  I know nothing about them.

But the country they will ride through is simply stunning.  We make an annual trip to Bryce Canyon. Stay at Ruby's Inn ( they have a horse motel for our horses)

Then we ride in Bryce Canyon, Red Mountain and in the Grand Staircase Escalantee.

In Bryce Canyon

Willis Canyon in Grand Staircase. Riding through the slot canyons.

This is inside the canyon behind us int he above picture. Canyon walls go straight up. Not a good choice if your horses is claustrophobic

Red Mountain. Not a good choice if you are afraid of heights

McCarty Canyon in the San Rafael Swell area

Edited by Painted Horse 2007-12-21 10:45 PM
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-12-22 4:25 PM (#73298 - in reply to #73270)

Extreme Veteran

I have no advice about Equitours, but wanted to say...WOW!  Cool pics!  How did you get them on here?

RIDE ON!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-12-22 5:58 PM (#73300 - in reply to #73298)

Expert

Easy

Just click on the little mountain picture on the Reply Tool Bar

insert the internet address of where your picture is hosted.

Wah-Laa

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-12-22 7:17 PM (#73302 - in reply to #73270)

Extreme Veteran

I was in the Zion, Escalante, and Grand Staircase in Sept.  Anyone who can ride this country MUST do it!  Not only will the scenery blow you away, but the immenseness of those colors and vistas are only to be seen to be believed.  Red Rock Ride was booked for 2008 last I heard, but if you can navigate pretty well, give the trails a go.  I for one will return ASAP.

Edited by siseley 2007-12-22 7:19 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-12-22 10:57 PM (#73305 - in reply to #73270)

Expert

My picture is probably on more coffee tables in Europe than in my scrap book at home. The tourist in the national parks all just have to have pictures of any body that looks like a cowboy. They become a nuisence crowding around to take a picture while we are asaddling our horses. It's kinda nice to get off the beaten path and ride some of the less well known areas where you are by yourself.

Southern Utah in general has so much to see. Whether you limit your ride to Zions & Bryce where you can buy an hour or day horse ride on a guide string. Or if you bring your own horses and explore the multitude of other areas.  The Abajo and Blue mountains in South Eastern Utah. The LaSalles Near Moab, The San Rafael Swell, The Grand Staircase all offer excellent riding.

Although you probably don't want to ride horses in the lower desert areas in the heat of the summer. These are great areas to ride in April/May and September/November. There are higher elevations rides ( in the Abajo and LaSalle) that are 10,000 foot elevation and much cooler.

These two pictures are in Eagle Canyon in the San Rafael Swell.

Looking out over Snow Canyon near St George

Zions National Park

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-12-23 5:46 PM (#73327 - in reply to #73270)

Elite Veteran

I'm awe-struck with the gorgeous scenary! Thanks to all who have shared photos. The reason I asked about the Equitours/Red Rock ride etc. is my MFTs are still too young for such a rigourous ride. And they have never been on such steep terrain as the areas in Utah appears to be. I live in Flat, Flat Kansas. I turned 40 this year and looking for an adventure! Unfortunately, most of these places I have inquired about don't have gaited stock. Guess I'll have to take my wool saddle seat cover to protect my tush. Still deciding on where to go. Hopefully someone can comment on Bitterroot Ranch. THis place looks interesting.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-12-23 7:03 PM (#73333 - in reply to #73270)

Extreme Veteran

Pony tammy...

Your gaited horse would probably do fine.  Pre trip tuning up and conditioning would make them perfect.  When we went on our own, there was a paso, and a twh in the group. They all did swell as did my lil Arabian mare. Gotta love these lite horses when it comes to comfort and stamina. geting lots of time in the saddle now and some lessons in seat,legs,and balance will make the trails seem effortless. You will need to have your horse used to being legged away from the edge in the cliff areas, as using their mouth is a no-no, and they will obey better too. I think the real trick is just lots of saddle time, not what kind of horse or who your trainer was. A good comfortable saddle and pad is paramount also!

Palm trees wave, are you listenin'?
In the pool, water's glistenin'
A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight
Livin' in a desert wonderland.

Gone away is the blizzard,
Here to stay is the lizard,
A warm sunny day, we like it that way,

In the desert we will have a picnic,
Cactus, sand, rattlesnakes and sun.
Christmas dinner is an old tradition,
It's pinto beans and tacos by the ton.

Later on we'll perspire,
Temperatures rise even higher,
A warm sunny day, we like it that way,

****"Have a Blessed CHRISTMAS"****

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-12-23 10:55 PM (#73344 - in reply to #73327)

Expert

My MFT was 4 years old when I took most of those pictures. A few of them he was 3. We only put about 20 rides on him as a 3yo. He's just coming 5 this spring.

You didn't say how old your horses where, If they are 3yo, keep the rides short and give them lots of rest. 4 yo should do just fine,

Make sure you ride them before bringing them out.  Once here you can keep the rides short. 3-4 hours. None of the rides are terrible steep to climb up for the horses. More that you will pass by some steep drop offs. So it's more of a matter of contolling the horse rather than his stamina. You just want to be able to control him if something spooky blows by when you are standing on the edge of the world.

Your horses will feel the elevation. Most of these places are 6000 - 7000 foot elevation. Just give them a chance to blow and catch their breath.

If you come to a scary spot, just get off and walk your horse across. Here you see even an very experience rider leading their horse, when the side drop off several hundred feet.

Here we watch as others cross the narrow neck of land between two mesa's. as you can see it drops off pretty steep.

We ride Southern Utah in the Spring and late fall.  We head North for the summer and fall hunting season. Depending on when you want to come, we can give you lots of suggestions to ride on your own if you bring you horses.

Some of them are even green

Edited by Painted Horse 2007-12-23 11:04 PM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-12-24 7:56 AM (#73346 - in reply to #73270)

Elite Veteran

I've done quite a few riding trips with Equitour and Fits Equestrian (before Equitour bought them out) as well as a few other companies.  Every ride was great.  I've done rides in Connemara, Ireland, Hungary, Portugal, Canada, Arizona, Missouri, Utah, and 8 in Wyoming as I ended up working some rides there. 

Of them all, Utah was my favorite as the scenery was fantastic, I rode a really nice Arab, the guides and other people on the ride were all neat personalities that meshed just perfectly.  If I went again, I'd want to see if I could go with Paintedhorse as he knows the places to go for sure. 

The most important thing about the riding holidays is to be in good shape for the amount of riding you'll do and be prepared for the kind of weather.  When I did Ireland it was in May and I didn't bring enough warm clothes.  Ireland is very wet & cold in May and I had to beg, borrow, and buy wool sweaters, extra pairs of gloves, raingear, etc.

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-12-24 8:47 AM (#73348 - in reply to #73270)

Extreme Veteran

All I can say is WOW. That makes me want to load up and head west. Where can I get info on places to stay in those areas? I would love to try that some day.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-12-24 6:48 PM (#73357 - in reply to #73348)

Expert

Most of Southern Utah is public land, So there are lots of places to pull off the road and camp.

Most counties have a Fairground. You can rent stalls in the fairgrounds for about $10 a night. Several off the top of my head are: Hurricane Utah , Panguitch Utah, Moab, BlackHawk in Salina Utah, Spanish Fork, Legacy Center in Farmington, Utah and the Golden Spike Center in Ogden.  These are all county run facilities. Some like the Legacy Center in Farmington get really busy during Rodeo season, as that's where all the cowboys stop over as the head to rodeos around the west.

There are a lot of Horse motels, where you can board your horses for night or two.  Ruby's Inn near Bryce Canyon, Steve Hafen's Harmony Horse Motel in Washington Utah (Near Zions) are two that I have used.

Most of your riding in utah will be on public land and hence you need to use Certified Weed Free hay. Most of the local feed stores will have it later in the summer. But it will be hard to find in April-May. So you may want to bring/buy hay pellets.

If you are timid to ride a strange trail by yourself. It's not hard to find a local cowboy to lead you for a small fee.

Remember, A lot of this country is high desert. It can get really hot during July & August. Also you don't want to be in the slot canyons during Thunderstorm season.  A big thunderstorm 20 miles away can send a wall of water crashing down the canyon you are riding in. Check with the forest service or BLM to make sure the area you plan to ride is safe on the day you want to ride.

For those wanting to ride somebody elses horses or have a guide to lead the way. Try these websites.

http://www.ecso.com/trailride/trail1.htm

http://www.horserides.net/grand-staircase-rides.html

http://www.stgeorgeutah.net/activities/horseback.html

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-12-24 7:08 PM (#73358 - in reply to #73270)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the info. I am going to print that and keep it in my "want to go" files.
ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-12-26 6:20 PM (#73400 - in reply to #73270)

Regular

we went on our first riding vacation this october....rancho las cascadas in mexico, about an hour north of mexico city.   i highly recommend it...5 star all the way and everything is provided.   awesome food at every meal!   i was amazed and impressed daily.   there were some girls there that had been there times before and had taken riding vacations all over the country and they said this was the best they had been on.

the horses were great, the staff all great, the rooms very nice...it is all new.   the owner is from switzerland and makes sure that everything is perfect for you.   and...very affordable.    Riding Holidays in Mexico

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-12-27 5:26 PM (#73432 - in reply to #73400)

Elite Veteran

Mexico is sounding pretty good about now. It is snowing again.... 7th storm of December. I'm wishing for warm weather soon. All these beautiful pictures allow me to dream of a wonderful vacation. Picking a place is to go is gonna be hard.
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-12-31 11:42 AM (#73528 - in reply to #73270)

My mom and I spent a week on the Bitterroot Equitour ride and it was the best riding experience we've ever had.  They match you up with the appropriate horse when you arrive, based on your experience, and they also match you with the appropriate riding group depending on your preferred riding pace.  The food was excellent!  We had a gourmet breakfast every morning, then went out to the barn to mount a pre-tacked horse, went on a beautiful ride with the most scenic views you could imagine.  When you return for a gourmet lunch, you simply hand the reins over to someone to untack your horse, eat a gourmet lunch, get some rest, then return to the barn to mount a fresh, pre-tacked horse for your afternoon ride.  In the eve, there's wine and cheese, then a fabulous dinner.  We were pampered and catered to so much, we felt like Oprah-WE HAD STAFF!  But not in a snooty sort of way, just well looked after...  We met people from all around the world.  Some of the folks, we still keep in touch with.  Also, the property that is now Bitterroot Ranch was formerlly owned by the original Marlboro Man.  All of those beautiful/scenic Marlboro ads are shot here.  It's just beautiful country up there and the folks at Bitterroot cater to your every need.  I would highly recommend this vacation!  (BTW, what are MFTs?)
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-12-31 11:50 AM (#73529 - in reply to #73528)

Elite Veteran

FarmGirl, MFTs are Missouri Fox Trotters. Haven't found too many trail riding vacation places that have gaited horses. Had Arabs for a long time (still got my first Arab...26 years old and I've had him since he was 6) with a few Quarter Horses mixed in as a kid, but had to go to the "glide" for my back. Thanks for the info on Bitterroot. Looks like they use Arabs for their main trail riding mounts which is fine with me.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-01-02 12:17 PM (#73608 - in reply to #73529)

Extreme Veteran

Hey Tammy:

I saw in the latest issue of "Trail Rider" magazine that there is a place in Vermont that offers Icelandic Horses on their trail rides.  There is a weight limit for the riders due to the size of the Icelandics.  It seems like there was one other gaited horse vacation spot, but I don't remember and my magazine is at home.

Okay, I went home and looked at my magazine, the entire article is about gaited horse vacations.  Check it out, there are several in different areas of the country.

Happy Trails!

JacciB

Edited by JacciB 2008-01-04 3:55 PM
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2008-01-06 7:07 AM (#73851 - in reply to #73270)

Veteran

We have used Equitours for the Randonnee' Liberte', a self guided ride through the Southern Pyrenees in France. We were very pleased with Equitours, the horses, the accomodations, and ourselves for completing the ride (you know from the start you are given a horse and map, period. No, cell phones do not work in this area. But, it was a wonderful, memorable adventure! We have used Hidden Trails, another reputable riding vacation outfit, for the Northern Exposure Ride in Iceland. We are looking at one of these riding outfits for our 2008 African Riding Safari in either Botswanna or South Africa. The Canadian Rockies are still my very favorite riding destination to date. Check out Trail Riders of the Canadian Rockies for reasonably priced, great riding vacations. We have done those multiple times. Also, in Wyoming, check out the Darwin Ranch. It is a very remote ranch near Cora. We loved our time there.

Good Luck!

Brenda

Edited by heritagelanefarm 2008-01-06 7:11 AM
ridingirelandtips
Reg. Apr 2013
Posted 2013-04-25 2:56 PM (#151547 - in reply to #73270)

New User

I have not taken an equitours vacation per say, but I have used one of the operators they recommend in IRELAND: Aille Cross Equestrian Centre in County Galway; http://www.aille-cross.com/. Check out my website to learn more about my experience: http://ridingirelandtips.com. If you have not done a horseback riding vacation in Ireland yet, you are missing out!!

Edited by ridingirelandtips 2013-04-25 2:59 PM
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2013-04-27 1:40 PM (#151587 - in reply to #73270)

Extreme Veteran

Ok Buoys and Gulls.....
Anyone in So. Calif., that wants to experience the red rock country before they go to Utah, can get a sample at one of our State Parks, interestingly called; Red Rock Canyon State park.

Let me know when you want to go, (and I would recommend not the middle to end of summer), and I'll show you some of the best areas.
slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2013-04-28 5:25 PM (#151618 - in reply to #73270)

Regular

Husband & I did the Red Rock Ride 18 months ago, and they do not have gaited horses. Everything you see in the video on their web site is how the ride is. It was wonderful. The scenery is more beautiful at every turn. The other riders were fun. The food was delicious and plentiful. There was good entertainment every night. It is extremely well planned and organized, which I really like. I hate standing around wasting time, waiting for people to get their act together. We had thought of doing an "out West" trip with our own horses, but, we live in PA, at about 1,000ft elevation, and weren't sure how the horses would transition to higher altitudes. Didn't know the trails, or where to park rig, and were concerned that if one of them came up lame at some point, we would be done riding, after spending all the time and money to get there from PA. The price of the Red Rock Ride almost made us have a stroke, but turned out to be well worth it.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2013-05-03 5:38 PM (#151766 - in reply to #73270)

Extreme Veteran

The Bitteroot Ranch in Wyoming is not far from the Double Cabin trail head. We've been there twice. The scenery there is as good as it gets, BUT, there was a major fire in that area, in 2011. Need to check with the forest service or someone that has been there recently. It's not much fun riding thru burnt out forest.

Also, the rivers in that area, in early summer, can be extremely fast and in the afternoon, be a bit deeper than most horses can safely cross. It all depends on how quickly the snow melts in the upper elevations.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Double%20Cabin/dc29....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Double%20Cabin/dc28....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Double%20Cabin/dc24....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Double%20Cabin/dc18....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/bbsmfg3/Double%20Cabin/dc15....

photo dc29.jpg

photo dc15.jpg

Edited by bbsmfg3 2013-05-03 5:41 PM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2013-05-03 5:44 PM (#151767 - in reply to #73270)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry about the duplicates above, timed out while adding pictures.

Pictures from the Double Cabin area:

photo dc29.jpg

photo dc15.jpg

photo dc18.jpg

photo dc24.jpg

photo dc28.jpg

Edited by bbsmfg3 2013-05-03 5:46 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum