'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Steel Roof Sealant

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-23 2:39 PM
5 replies, 6988 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Andy
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-19 1:06 PM (#71490)
Subject: Steel Roof Sealant

New User

I am looking for a good means of sealing some roof leaks on a featherlite steel trailer.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I plan to have the entire trailer painted during the summer but need to seal now.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-19 7:10 PM (#71505 - in reply to #71490)
Subject: RE: Steel Roof Sealant

Veteran

There was a discussion on this subject a few week ago...log on and do a search on roof sealing, or roof caulk,,you might find it. Someone found some good sealing tape at an RV dealer and it supposedly worked really good. I have used a product I purchased at Lowes on my Sooner to seal the rivited strip around the roof..I can't recall the name but its about 6" wide and comes in a roll of several feet. Its some type of pliable black rubber with a thin aluminum sheet to hold up against the weather...its self sticking and really sticks good to bare aluminum. I've had it on for several years and no problems. Im not sure how good it would work on painted steel, but if the paint is in good condition I think it would work. If you have a Lowes, check in the roofing area where they keep the roof caulk, tar, etc.
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-20 5:29 PM (#71561 - in reply to #71490)

Regular

Without a doubt the best product that I have found is called Eternabond. I was so impressed with the product that I became a ditributor for it. You can order it directly from the company but you will have to buy it in case lots to do that. If you are intrested I can sell it to you for the case price and sell you as little as you like. One 6" x 50' roll did our 4 horse. It sells for $71 a roll. Cheep for a lifetime repair.

The seal and peel that is sold at lowes is masking tape compared to this Eternabond. The Eternabond has a written warranty of 10 years but will last much longer. If you would like I can have a sample sent to you.

Please check out the product at eternabond.com and you can email me or call if you would like more information.

Mike

mikecart@planttel.net 912-422-7493

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-11-21 5:43 PM (#71632 - in reply to #71561)

Expert

Do you have any pictures of the trailer you did.
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-22 10:28 AM (#71673 - in reply to #71490)

Regular

Teri, as soon as the trailer is back at home I will take several photos of the finished job and post them. That may be 2 weeks.

What I did was the take the 6" tape and use it full width in the from where all the angles are and a lot of crack was there. This wide tape also took care of the rivets along the fromt seams. On the long side seams that was narrow I then cut the 6" tape down the center the make 3" tape. 2" would have worked but I wanted to make the job happen out of one roll.  I also made little 3x3 squares to cover all the extra rivets that was scattered about. There was also about 7' left over and the product has a shelf life of 5-10 years depending on how it is stored and you will find alot of other uses for it.  Last week the seat of my John Deere tractor came loose from the metal seat pan. I got out the double stick Eterabond and it is back in the saddle again.  It make quick reapir in water tanks.

Before I started the job I took a 4" cheap angle grinder from harbor freight (9.99) and wire brush atachment (4.99) and cleaned off all the old self leveling caulk. The Eterabond founder told me that this was not nessessery and just a waste of my time because the Eterabond will bond to almost anything and is designed to cover up old work but I like to do a job first class and it only took me about an hour with the power grinder.

The only material that Eterabond will not bond to is silicone so if you have already patched your roof with silicone you will have to clean that off.

If you have any question please visit the Eterabond web site for more information. There are a couple of roofing houses and RV dealers that sell the product on ebay but I would hope that the horseing family would get their product from me. I price mine just a couple of dollars below what it is being sold for on ebay just so you no one can say that they can find it cheaper somewhere else.

Thanks,  Mike

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-23 2:39 PM (#71709 - in reply to #71490)

Expert

If you are just going to caulk your roof until it is repainted, use a polysulfide caulking, Rule, Sikaflex, 3m5200 3m3200. They are all marine grade caulkings/adhesives that will last almost indefinitely and can be painted over. If you want to coat your roof, look at the elastomeric roof coating systems. They are a commercial grade coating used on commercial buildings that are now being offered to the RV horse trailer crowd.

I plan on using that coating on one of my trailers next spring.

BOL  Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)