'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Smokey Mountains Trails

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-16 5:15 PM
4 replies, 3636 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-02 4:03 PM (#68741)
Subject: Smokey Mountains Trails

Regular

My wife HATES narrow ridge trails. She's okay with ridge trails as long as they're wide and she can't see over the edge. We rode this weekend from Bryson City and took the Deep Creek, Martin Gap and Indian Creek trails. Anyone familiar with the trails leaving Bryson City and have trail suggestions to keep her from having a nervous breakdown on the trails?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Peanut
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-10-03 7:58 PM (#68795 - in reply to #68741)
Subject: RE: Smokey Mountains Trails

Are there horse camps where you were for overnight stays.  It sounds interesting, can you tell me where to look on the web for information.

It would not be that far for us to travel it we had some where to hook-up for a weekend stay.

Thanks

D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-04 6:05 AM (#68801 - in reply to #68795)

Regular

Peanut..

We stayed at Deep Creek Stables in Bryson City. They don't have a website. Host James is a great guy. Nothing fancy but nice. Has electric and water hookups. The sites are right at stalls. He's working on a bathhouse. He does have a dump station for when you leave. $10/night per horse and $10 for site. Great price. Sites are level and grassy. No trees - but it was cool when we went there last week. It's about 3/4 mile to trailhead. You can ride the road (very little traffic), or he'll let you borrow (not rent) his trailer. I included his email address. He will email a picture showing sites/stalls. If you ride there, find those wide ridge trails for my wife!

James Clark :750 west deepcreek road # 4 bryson city n.c. 28713
828 488 6961 home 828 736 1270 cell
email:james28713@aol.com

Edited by D sq 2007-10-04 6:10 AM
Peanut
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-10-05 3:46 PM (#68880 - in reply to #68741)

Thanks for the address and email info

Can you give me some more information about the trails?   Are there several to choose from and are they steep, narrow, rocky, etc.

D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-16 5:15 PM (#69466 - in reply to #68880)

Regular

Peanut,

Talk to James about trail conditions. When we were there, bees were really bad on certain trails. He led us in the right direction. What I didn't count on were some of the narrow ridge trails. My wife almost had a nervous breakdown. Not really rocky at all. We rode for 6 1/2 hours one day, so you can take long rides. Just be aware that the trail markers tell you the distance to the new trail - not how long the trail you're on is in distance. Make sense? Didn't to me for a while. James will send you a topo map with trails marked. He's lived there all his life and can give huge amounts of valuable info on the trails. We're going back the end of this month. My wife says she will close her eyes this time on the narrow stuff.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)