'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
portable heater for horse trailer

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-27 5:52 PM
32 replies, 10451 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-22 7:36 PM (#68266 - in reply to #67738)
Subject: RE: portable heater for horse trailer

Veteran

Ditto on the ceramic heater. That's what I have in my 8' shortwall. Why don't you just insulate it yourself with the foam board? It's easy to do and any would help it stay warmer in there.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 12:45 PM (#68408 - in reply to #67738)

Regular

I thought about that too - shouldn't take long to just insulate - then over the winter I can think about how I want to finish it.

Not to be dumb, but what did you use to attach the insulation to the walls of the trailer?
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-26 5:39 PM (#68426 - in reply to #67738)

Veteran

That's NOT a dumb question.  The wrong glue will make some polystyrenes melt and cause some nasty fumes.  I can't remember the kind I use - I'll look tonite.
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-26 6:56 PM (#68429 - in reply to #67738)

Veteran

Don't use glue. You don't need to, plus if you ever need to pull the insulation out  (such as to find a leak) it's a mess. I just measured between my braces and cut the foam board to fit. Then just pop it in and tape the seams with foil tape. It made a big difference in my trailer staying cooler (or warmer.)

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 7:38 PM (#68431 - in reply to #67738)

Veteran

i was just reading all these replys on the heater over and i have a question now.. could the propane gas furnace or the propane stove have a problem in a lq trailer and the same deal happen.. my sensor i belive is on bottom of floor of couch...(i may be wrong on this i will have to check) there is one on the floor and one in the gooseneck area not sure what that one is they may be both the same... anyways couldnt a line leak etc. and you still end up dead...thanks for any input happy trails
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-09-27 10:19 AM (#68463 - in reply to #67738)

Regular

I'm not sure if the same thing could happen - but I wouldn't sleep in a trailer that had any kind of heater and didn't have some kind of carbon monoxide detector (or maybe two.. one in the gooseneck and another in the floor area.The foil tape - can I get that at the local hardware store? Did you tape down all four sides of each piece of insulation that was put in? or just enough to get it to stay until the finishing material was put on top?I'm going to feel a bit like a hillbilly... having only the insulation and not the finishing material installed for this clinic, but that's the least of my worries. ha!

Edited by ArabHorseLover 2007-09-27 10:26 AM
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-09-27 10:45 AM (#68467 - in reply to #67738)

Regular

Another question - I *think* when people insulate and finish off their basements they put a moisture barrier material between the wall and the insulation.

Should that be done in the trailer too?
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-27 5:52 PM (#68492 - in reply to #68463)

Veteran

Originally written by ArabHorseLover on 2007-09-27 10:19 AM

I'm not sure if the same thing could happen - but I wouldn't sleep in a trailer that had any kind of heater and didn't have some kind of carbon monoxide detector (or maybe two.. one in the gooseneck and another in the floor area.The foil tape - can I get that at the local hardware store? Did you tape down all four sides of each piece of insulation that was put in? or just enough to get it to stay until the finishing material was put on top?I'm going to feel a bit like a hillbilly... having only the insulation and not the finishing material installed for this clinic, but that's the least of my worries. ha!

Yeah, I felt kinda funny having it partially finished also, but it was a lot cheaper than $150 a night for a cabin!  I got my foil tape at Lowe's.  You can see a picture of that kind of tape  on maccwall's trailer photos. Is your trailer steel or aluminum?  Mine's aluminum, so I taped the entire seams. I think the tape is also insulating, not just for holding the foamboard up until you get the paneling up. Look at his pictures and you'll understand better.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)