'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailering problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-07 10:28 PM
10 replies, 4386 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horcgal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-09 11:52 AM (#67506)
Subject: trailering problem

I have a filly who is a yearling. We have a big 3 horse with LQ trailer, but when I haul to a local show with just her alone,I borrow a friends little stock trailer. She rides just fine in that, never had a problem. In the big trailer though.....it gets ugly!!!! Everytime she has been in it she will get her front feet up in the feed bunk! the last show I went to we were barely out of the driveway and I saw the side window pop open, sure enough, she was up in the feed bunk!!!! I dont know if she thinks she can jump out the window or what!!! but, shes gonna kill herself or me with these antics! She has plenty of room, its padded, quiet, evertyhing, its a NICE trailer. But, she acts like an idiot in there. I dont know what to do with her. Cant exactly take seperate trailers when we go somewhere. And I really dont have any intention of getting rid of the big trailer because of HER!!!

any suggestions as to how to cure this? Was thinking of putting a tie ring directly in front of her instead of the tie ring thats at the window, that way maybe she wont be able to rear up enough to get her front feet up and into the bunk.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-09-10 8:39 AM (#67571 - in reply to #67506)
Subject: RE: trailering problem

Extreme Veteran

When I was trailer shopping a few years ago, I looked at trailers with these inside mangers.  I had heard/read of the problem that you're having and that's what turned me away from that style trailer.  Could you transport her with an older companion horse?  It might make her feel more safe and less like trying to "escape".
horcgal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 12:17 PM (#67589 - in reply to #67506)

Never had a problem with the bunks. In fact, the bunks were added after we got the trailer and were better, easier, and safer for the horses because on turns or emergencies or anything, thier chest hits the padding rather than their face hitting the window. Ive hauled babies in the trailer before without a problem. Just THIS one seems to have an issue!

Shes been in there with another horse.....in front of her, in the slot behind her, didnt make a difference. she would just gather herself up behind and put them front feet in the bunk and then start hopping with the  backend like a dog trying to hop up on the couch! I cant figure out what it is she is doing or thinking about. If I could figure out what her problem is I could maybe do something to solve it. Theres plenty of air, its quiet, its padded, its not cramped. Ive even hauled her in the center slot with the rear divider latched open so she'd have a lot of room....still did it.

She doesnt seem scared, loads right on the trailer. The only time she starts getting nervous/sweaty is when her front feet are up in the bunk!!!! right now shes a yearling and she can get her feet back OUT of the bunk when turned loose and told to backup. Im worried what happens when shes a big horse! if she gets her feet in there then............it'll be ugly. Plus, I dont like her tearing up the trailer either!!!! and my other half has already said that the trailer is worth a lot more than she is and if she cant even be hauled anywhere then what good is she? (hes not happy about her antics!)

Edited by horcgal 2007-09-10 12:27 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-10 12:55 PM (#67591 - in reply to #67506)

Expert

Try hauling her facing the rear, or by letting a partition over and  loose, unless you are concerned she will try to crawl under the divider.  Also, maybe cover that window where it does not look like an opening.  She is gonna have to get over this, I might haul her slightly aced for practice runs till she calmed down if she will.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-10 1:02 PM (#67594 - in reply to #67591)

Expert

ditto on the rear facing and take the edge off her with either work or "liquid trainer" to ease her jitters.
horcgal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 1:04 PM (#67595 - in reply to #67506)

tried hauling her loose......she wants to put her head under the divider then gets all spooked when she lifts her head and feels it on her neck.

Was thinking of giving her that Quietex paste before hauling. Just doesnt make sense why she would decide to be a goof in this trailer, but when I hauled her in a stock trailer that had dividers in it......dividers she couldve easily gotten over top of!....she stood just fine....same height, width, even when she was hauled with another horse where she was up in the front she was fine so its not a matter of not being able to "see out" because the front of the stock trailer doesnt have stockslats or windows or nothing! so that idea of her not being able to see as easily in the slant load got ruled out.

I dunno, I really hope she gets over this. Ive never had a baby get stupid in the big trailer, they all seemed to PREFER it, I guess because of the mats and padding and quietness of it.

Slidinspots
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-11 9:38 PM (#67711 - in reply to #67506)

Veteran

Two different things that could be tried. Put a bale of hay in the manger so she can't see out the window and too high to jump up there. The other is to hobble front to back, but I would try this in a stall first.
horcgal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-12 9:43 AM (#67736 - in reply to #67506)

Hmm....I like the idea of the bale of hay in the manger. that could work to block it off, make a "wall" in front of her. I'll have to give that a try.
thanks, and thanks to all that have responded!
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-09-12 6:24 PM (#67775 - in reply to #67506)

Veteran

horcgal, This may be obvious but...make sure that bale of hay is tied off to something, so it doesn't come pounding down on her head and spook her and create a whole new problem.

This will also give her something to chew on while she rides...great idea!!

Edited by Monsterhorse 2007-09-12 6:26 PM
reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-14 11:44 AM (#67863 - in reply to #67595)

Regular

Hmmmm....sounds like a mare I had. She hauled fine in a stock trailer (which I found out when the people I sold her to had one) but in my 4H slant brand new trailer she went crazy. The only way we could haul her was to tranq her. Something about being in that trailrer freaked her out, almost like she was clausterphobic, but this came on AFTER 3 years of hauling her in the same type of trailer! Hopefully you can find a solution fast because mine ended in a stress fracture of her hock, tendon damage, and $3K of damages to my 2006 LQ trailer! Good luck!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-10-07 10:28 PM (#68971 - in reply to #67863)

Extreme Veteran

I remember reading a post about a horse the began going crazy in a trailer it had been hauled in for years... turns out the trailer had a short in the wiring and sent an occasional jolt through the metal.  Yikes! 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)