'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Latches

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-08 1:44 PM
4 replies, 3381 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FrancaV
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-05 9:02 PM (#67295)
Subject: Latches

Regular

I need latch help. I'm getting conflicting opinions on butterfly vs. anti-rack on rear doors, and as a newbie to trailers am not even sure what these names mean exactly. I'll be ordering a new trailer shortly and need to decide on this and a few other little items. Trailer will be 4 Star 3H Slant GN with 60/40 rear doors. There will be a collapsible rear tack which I'm not sure I really want, but since it's standard equipment on this trailer I guess I'll get it and see how I like it. I can always keep it collapsed or take it out if I don't use it and it's in my way.

I also got conflicting info from two different dealers as to the purpose of telescoping dividers. One said that it's for the rearmost divider and its sole purpose is to allow the divider to fit when it's tied back against the trailer's head wall. The other said that you could have multiple latch positions on the hip wall and use telescoping dividers to change the size of the stalls to give larger horses more room. ????

Looking for any and all forum wisdom in these final days before I order my trailer! There aren't many 4 Star trailers in central California; plenty of people around here have never heard of them. But I finally found a friend of a friend nearby who has one, and it's even a 3H Slant GN! (It's NOT for sale. ;) She loves it.) So I'm going to go look at it tomorrow so I can see one "in person" before I order mine. Maybe she can answer some of my questions from an owner's viewpoint and I'll be able to poke around inside, outside, and under the trailer. :)

Oh yeah - I was thrown for a loop when asked if I wanted the DR door on the left or right side of the trailer. The right side seems safer, but if the door's on the left side the DR looks/feels larger. What to do ... what to do....
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-09-06 9:45 AM (#67329 - in reply to #67295)
Subject: RE: Latches

Veteran

The collapsable tack means you can move it out of the way to clean, take out a horse that won't back out or is having trouble getting out or you can load an ATV or lawnmower. It is a very nice feature. Deciding where to put the dressing room door comes with the decision of what you want in the dressing room. With a  slant, do you want it on the short wall or the long wall. I have two trailers, one is on the right and my living quarters trailer has it on the left. as far as safety, doesn't seem to matter since you will be most likely entering it when it is not on the road. Both trailers have differnet latches and I don't favor one over the other. I do like my telescoping dividers since it does allow for more room for a larger horse, you can open up the hauling area and secure the divider so it doesn't flop around. This also allows you to shut your rear doors.  I think  you are geting good advice from the dealer. These are not features specific to 4-Star. many quality trailers have these.  Be sure to get a spare tire.

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-09-06 11:47 AM (#67337 - in reply to #67295)

Veteran

As for the DR door, go and look at a few trailers (doesn't have to be your brand) and see what they look like on each side.  I used to think it didn't matter, but IMO, I really like it on the drivers side (the short wall).  It leaves the whole LW open for.... stuff!  (boot box... cabinets.... futon... ...  be prepared....  LQ/weekender package fever comes soon afterward!).  Don't forget to post pics in the album area so we can see your new baby.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-08 1:18 PM (#67459 - in reply to #67295)

Expert

The telescoping divider really depends on how the trailer is made.  On mine it is only on the last divider so you can have the divider open and still shut the rear door.  If they make it available on all the dividers and have different latches to change the width of the stall that could be usefull if you have large horses or at resale. 

My DR door is on the passenger (long wall) side.  I wish it was on the drivers side.  With a 2 ft short wall it doesn't leave much room for extra stuff.

Edited by Terri 2007-09-08 1:20 PM
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 1:44 PM (#67462 - in reply to #67295)

I put my DR door on the long wall and would second the idea of having it on the drivers side of the trailer for better utilization of wall space.

I recommend slam latches on the divider or a style where the pin goes directly in the trailer wall.  I've seen the damage caused by a divider which uses drop-down pins to hold the divider in place.  The repairs to the horse's rump were in excess of $800 in veterinary fees plus unknown months down time for rehabbing.  The horse went down in the trailer and when it stood up it broke the pin & holder away from the divider leaving a jagged, razor sharp piece of aluminum on the divider to cause damage.

And yes, it was a freak accident and if a horse can find away to hurt itself, it will.  Still, part of this injury was related to welding/latch design. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)