'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
wiring question - 96 Dodge 3500 CTD flatbed

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-28 3:27 PM
2 replies, 2587 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-28 10:13 AM (#63020)
Subject: wiring question - 96 Dodge 3500 CTD flatbed

Veteran

We just got this truck - all set up for gooseneck etc - or so we thoughtIn putting in the 6-pin plug for our FB equipment trailer and 2-horse slant, I found the pigtail that has been whcked off of the 6-pin plug that's mounted in the hitch box in the truck's bed. This plug was put in VERTICALLY - ie, the flapper is horizontal, the plug extends downward through the floor of the recessed hitch box - and is a mass of corrosion. Bad place to put a plug, IMHO. I can easliy understand why the wires were simply cut off - had to be a real shorting out problem!BUT, since the pigtail was there, and with the requisite number and colors of wires, what the heck - it tested out OK for color standards so decided to use it.Stop lights are the red wire - nice and hot. Oops, hot all the time! key off it's hot - and this one is spliced out of the truck's main harness on the frame, from a BIG like 10 ga red wire, hot with the key off.So, what the heck is this full-tie hot lead supposed to be for? The 7-pin plug on the back of the truck is hooked up weird, too - nothing is as it should be with that one, so I have work ahead of me to get things figured out.Just would like to know why they have this heavy hot circuit running to the back end of the truck.... any ideas?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-06-28 1:02 PM (#63034 - in reply to #63020)
Subject: RE: wiring question - 96 Dodge 3500 CTD flatbed

Extreme Veteran

On the Dodge the Aux power is always on. That wire is used for charging the house battery, loading lights ect. on your trailer. The brake lights I believe are the same as the turn signal lights.
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-28 3:27 PM (#63046 - in reply to #63020)
Subject: RE: wiring question - 96 Dodge 3500 CTD flatbed

Veteran

Thanks, I will look to see if there's a switch or breaker in line anyplace - it would seem there should be. If not, there's gonna be! Talk about a good way to leave your truck batteries flat.....Appreciate your takign the time to answer!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)