'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Blown Tire! and lessons learned

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-26 6:51 AM
18 replies, 6572 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-17 9:02 AM (#62384)
Subject: Blown Tire! and lessons learned

Expert

The importance of proper tire pressure for the load...

This trip was unusual.  We had three horses aboard instead of two.  Checked tire pressure to the usual 60 psi at home.  About 150 miles into the trip, the right rear trailer tire blew.  Bent the fender a bit and scared all of us. 

Using the trailer aid, had the tire changed and on the road again in 20 minutes.

Along the way, decided to weigh the rig, Steer axle: 4140#  Drive axle: 5700# Trailer axles: 7960#

Lessons learned:  

Carlisle tire recommends max pressure inflation for trailer tires at all times. 

Know your rig's weights

The trailer-aid works well for a trailer full of horses.  I wouldn't try a jack with them wiggling the trailer.

Picture of the tire and rig posted in my album on this site.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-06-17 1:19 PM (#62389 - in reply to #62384)
Subject: RE: Blown Tire! and lessons learned

Expert

Just a few weeks ago, I pulled out the trailer heading for a local show. I noticed the rear passenger tire was flat- my husband called it "low" and pumped it up. Hour later, I got to the fairgrounds to find the tire had a rather large chunk of tire missing.I never noticed anything amiss. I guy helped me change the tire( well ok I helped him) the inside of said tire was shredded. Wow. Got myself a new tire...
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-06-18 9:18 AM (#62409 - in reply to #62384)

Regular

Wow! Am I understanding correctly that this happened because you had too LOW tire pressure for the weight of your trailer? The treads looked like they were good on this tire. Should we inflate our trailer tires to the maximum listed on the tire while hauling? I too had a blowout once on the highway, but I didn't even notice a thing until other drivers pulled next to me and honked to let me know something was up. I couldn't believe that I never felt the tire blow! Luckily able to pull off the next exit. That's also why I now always try to travel during daylight hours!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-18 9:32 AM (#62411 - in reply to #62409)

Expert

Originally written by Dunagain on 2007-06-18 8:18 AM

Wow! Am I understanding correctly that this happened because you had too LOW tire pressure for the weight of your trailer? The treads looked like they were good on this tire. Should we inflate our trailer tires to the maximum listed on the tire while hauling? I too had a blowout once on the highway, but I didn't even notice a thing until other drivers pulled next to me and honked to let me know something was up. I couldn't believe that I never felt the tire blow! Luckily able to pull off the next exit. That's also why I now always try to travel during daylight hours!

I can't say for certain low pressure "Caused" the blow out... but I was operating the tire below pressure for the max load.  Was 5 psi the difference between blow-out or not?   I don't know ... I did learn (after the fact as usual...) that Carlisle recommends max pressure at all times.  see page 7 of this link >> http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/proper_tire_care_safety.pdf

I am going to change my SOP to max tire pressure, that's a learning from experiance 

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-18 12:26 PM (#62416 - in reply to #62384)

Expert

First of all, get rid of those Carlisle, micky mouse, rotten when new, China made, no nothing, tires!!! Run the trailer on the rims if you have too, but put something on there other than Carlisle. How did you end up with those on a Sundowner anyway? Is that what they are using now?.........Like Kiefer does?
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-06-18 3:13 PM (#62421 - in reply to #62384)

Extreme Veteran

Most trailer tires that I've seen recommend running at max psi.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-06-18 6:03 PM (#62430 - in reply to #62384)

Elite Veteran

Last time we had a trailer tire discussion I did some digging and found the speed rating on trailer tires varies greatly.  The speed rating on a tire (any tire, not just trailer tires) is the maximum speed a tire can run at for 6 hours straight.  Very few vehicles ever run for 6 hours straight, but we are starting to see oversized and auxillary fuel tanks on hauling rigs that might make it possible.  Most trailer tires are only rated for 60 or 65 MPH maximum speed rating.  Goodyear trailer tires are rated for 70 MPH.  I know when I am going down the freeway and traffic is light I am in that 70 MPH range, and if I'm on the road for several hours I sure don't want to worry about the heat buildup from traveling too fast for my trailer tire.   Just something else to think about when selecting a trailer tire - how do you use your trailer....local hauls or freeway trips?
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-06-18 6:17 PM (#62435 - in reply to #62384)

Extreme Veteran

I've been told by three different tire dealers to ALWAYS have trailer tires filled to the max as printed on the sidewall. A soft tire will readily overheat and blow. A blown tire can rip out wiring ( there're a number of wires in the wheel well) and destroy fenders and the skin on the trailer. And the point about speed is well taken. The faster you drive the more heat buildup. The worst combination is a hot day (over 95 degrees) high spreed, (over 65) and a low tire. I check tires before any trip and also check the spare every month. That can and will cause even the best tires to fail. This is the voice of experience speaking. They are expensive lessons.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-18 9:08 PM (#62439 - in reply to #62416)

Expert

Originally written by retento on 2007-06-18 11:26 AM

First of all, get rid of those Carlisle, micky mouse, rotten when new, China made, no nothing, tires!!! Run the trailer on the rims if you have too, but put something on there other than Carlisle. How did you end up with those on a Sundowner anyway? Is that what they are using now?.........Like Kiefer does?

Retento... Emphatic as ever.  No doubt about your opinions.  I just went out to the trailer in my boxers, just to check on the tire's origin.  You're correct, made in China

The Carlisle tires were replacements purchased by the previous owner of the trailer.  (the one that pumped the hubs full of grease)  We were running 65 -70 mph on an interstate highway.  Air temp was about 80 - 85 degrees.  The pavement might have been hotter.  When I handled the blown tire, the temperature wasn't unusual compared to the other tires. 

Another point that Carlisle makes is replacing the other tire on the same side of the blow-out. Their reasoning is that tire, experienced an overload condition.  Any opinions from the forum ?

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-06-19 1:16 PM (#62484 - in reply to #62384)

Extreme Veteran

Subject : RE: 4 Star Trailer Pre-Trip Inspection
Posted : 2007-06-19 12:13 PM
Post #62480 - In reply to #62412

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can say this for you, you got the right name...."grumpyoldman"!!! You must have missed your nap! Go take a Valum.

retento, just copied the above from the referenced post. Perhaps you missed your nap as well? Your comments on this post were a bit over the top, don't you think? Especially considering your criticism of "grumpy"...

Seems like if we're not slamming some manufacturer, we're slamming each other. This forum is getting less helpful and more confrontational every day.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-19 1:47 PM (#62489 - in reply to #62384)

Expert

I'm just fine jakey1, how are you today!!!? OH! I did miss my nap also.........And I don't have any licenced vehicles with Carlisle tires or any chrome/stainless accessories that rub holes in my valve stems. jakey1, you ever had a horse step on a trailer wheel valve stem while tied to the side?
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-19 4:45 PM (#62501 - in reply to #62489)

Expert

Retento & Jakey1 ... You guys, quit egging each other...

I do appreciate your efforts to keep bumping this thread to the top of the list though ....

So seriously ... any body have the other tire fail (on the same side) shortly after a blow-out ?

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-06-19 5:48 PM (#62505 - in reply to #62384)

Extreme Veteran

Retento, off topic, but where is Rocky Mt in NC? I bought a great QH gelding from some folks in Burnsville - he wouldn't dare step on my valve stem!

ps: we can keep this at the top of the list if we keep trying...12
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-19 6:13 PM (#62507 - in reply to #62384)

Expert

Rocky Mount is about 50 miles east of Raleigh N.C.. 55 south of the Va. border. 138 miles north of the S.C. border, and 305 miles east of Burnsville N.C.,  which is in the mountains and we are on the flat sand coastal plains, where years ago I had a walking horse stomp while trying to shake off a horse fly and snapped off the valve stem on my little two horse trailer. I didn't have a jack, no lug wrench and you guessed it....NO SPARE!!! Leaving tomorrow morning with two of everything including the air compressor and a generator to run it. Plus a newly renewed U.S.Rider membership!!!
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-06-20 7:52 AM (#62525 - in reply to #62384)

Extreme Veteran

Rocky Mount sounds like a nice place. Is it worth investigating for retirement?
LEC Trail Rider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-06-20 5:08 PM (#62549 - in reply to #62384)

Interesting discussion! I am from Ohio but I DO know that Rocky Mount NC had (and maybe STILL has) one of the BEST High School marching bands around. My HS band was also very good but we would run into Rocky Mount at various East Coast competitions - they were in a bigger division than us - but, WOW they were DAYUM GOOD. Nice polite kids, too - oh wait, I graduated back in 1985 when kids were more like that in the "old days."

Carry On!
teamroper562
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-20 6:13 PM (#62552 - in reply to #62384)

New User

I have had a couple of blowouts myself. The first one was after I had put about 5k miles on my new trailer. When I was putting the spare on, I noticed that the other tire had a bubble in it....YIKES. Go to the other side and those two tires have bubbles in them. Luckily I was about 30 miles from where I needed to be so I limbed there at 50mph with no problems. Next morning go and have 4 new tires put on. $600!!!!! About a year later I had a blow out again, this time I believe it was my fault by driving about 80 mph when it was 105*F outside.

Now a year later and another 15k miles no blowouts!!!! Knock on wood. I keep my tires pumped to 80 psi all the time and try not to drive over 75. Especially when its 90*F + outside.

I also heard that keeping your tires pumped up to max psi = not as much drag = better fuel milege!!

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-06-25 10:09 PM (#62846 - in reply to #62384)

Extreme Veteran

Have to add my .02 to this.

My tire guy....inflate the trailer tires to max pressure as listed on the sidewall...when cold. Epect to start having tread seperation issues at about 4 years of age. If you know twhere to look, all tires have a date code imprinted on the sidewall.....goes like 332007...which would be the 33rd week of 2007.

One other thing. Most all horse trailers have torsion axles, most are slant load. More often than not the first tire to have a failure is one the right rear. And if you notice LOTS of GN horse trailers go down the road with the nose in the air. Meaning they are not set-up to ride level.

Torsion axles do not load share very well, so the trailer needs to be riding as level as possible in order for each axle to carry it's share of the weight.

So the reason why the right rear blows? Trailer high in front, horses loaded in a slant with noses to the left and rears to the right. The right rear tire carries more of the load than any other, hence that's where the issue rears it's ugly head.

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-06-26 6:51 AM (#62853 - in reply to #62846)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by wyndancer on 2007-06-25 11:09 PM

Have to add my .02 to this.

My tire guy....inflate the trailer tires to max pressure as listed on the sidewall...when cold. Epect to start having tread seperation issues at about 4 years of age. If you know twhere to look, all tires have a date code imprinted on the sidewall.....goes like 332007...which would be the 33rd week of 2007.

One other thing. Most all horse trailers have torsion axles, most are slant load. More often than not the first tire to have a failure is one the right rear. And if you notice LOTS of GN horse trailers go down the road with the nose in the air. Meaning they are not set-up to ride level.

Torsion axles do not load share very well, so the trailer needs to be riding as level as possible in order for each axle to carry it's share of the weight.

So the reason why the right rear blows? Trailer high in front, horses loaded in a slant with noses to the left and rears to the right. The right rear tire carries more of the load than any other, hence that's where the issue rears it's ugly head.

I just had a blow out also. I also have carlise tires on mine. I was leaving a parking lot and didn't get the trailer swung past the median they had. I ran up on it and when the trailer rolled off of it, the left rear tire blew as soon as it hit the ground. I wasn't even going faster than a snail. I was shocked that the tire blew. These tires are only 2yrs old, I keep them inflated and check them before each haul. The blow out was in the shape of a 3 sided square not even jagged. I just didn't understand it...But after reading this it makes more sense to me. Great Info.....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)