'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wheels coming off featherlite LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-25 1:57 PM
12 replies, 4980 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pinebelttrailers
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-06 10:35 AM (#58653)
Subject: Wheels coming off featherlite LQ

Any one had problems with wheels coming off featherlite LQ's
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-04-06 10:51 AM (#58656 - in reply to #58653)
Subject: RE: Wheels coming off featherlite LQ

Veteran

Do you mean just the wheels or the whole axle?  One of my good friends hauled horses out to MT from MI & then back again....then had the trailer in the shop right after that for something else - they put it up on the hoist & the axles/wheels were still on the ground, completely disconnected from the trailer!  The dealer tried to tell her the brackets had rusted - trailer wasn't that old & she seldom hauls in the snow & salt, so sounded alittle wierd to me...

pinebelttrailers
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-06 11:00 AM (#58658 - in reply to #58653)

Wheels only Appears could be wrong wheel on trailer??? Some of the studs broke off ,some of the studs seem streched.Lug nuts appear to have been tight.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-06 11:40 AM (#58664 - in reply to #58658)

Expert

Originally written by pinebelttrailers on 2007-04-06 10:00 AM

Wheels only Appears could be wrong wheel on trailer??? Some of the studs broke off ,some of the studs seem streched.Lug nuts appear to have been tight.

What leads you to think the wrong wheel was on the trailer?   If some of the studs failed, then the remaining studs would bear the load until they too failed, getting stretched in the process.

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-06 12:05 PM (#58665 - in reply to #58653)

Extreme Veteran

If you have a bigger LQ trailer, with the 16" wheels, and you have 3-4 head in the back. You can stretch or break the studs when you turn real tight corners, or backed around and "jack knifed" the trailer. The forces generated by the friction of the tires and the forces pulling in opposite directin can over come the strength of the studs.

A friend had this happen. He was first tired of being overweight on "E" or "G" range tire. His fix was new hubs, with bigger studs and 17.5" wheels.

pinebelttrailers
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-09 9:05 AM (#58871 - in reply to #58653)

New trailer first trip both wheels on driver side came off. lost one wheel when ordered new wheel it did not have the protrusions the orginal did. The next trip the wheels on the passenger side came off (yes the lug nut's had been checked.it appears the orginal wheel with the protrusions would not snug up to the hub.
equinetrans
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-04-09 10:23 AM (#58878 - in reply to #58653)
Subject: wheels coming off

Originally written by pinebelttrailers on 2007-04-06 10:35 AMAny one had problems with wheels coming off featherlite LQ's
When your trailer is made, or after it is worked on, the wheels need to be put on perfectly, or the lugs will gradually loosen. Reality is trailer do not have wheels properly mounted most of the time. I hauled FEMA trailers down to the Gulf Coast that were fresh from the manufacturer. I had a couple that required the lugs to be continually tightened all the way (about 1,000 miles).On a new trailer, or after the wheels have been worked on, check the lugs at 50 miles. Then check another 100 miles down the road. If they are still tight (by the way, you have a torque wrench to check them, don't you?) at 150 miles, you can wait another 500 miles to check again. If they are not tight, check again in another 100 miles, and continue doing so until all wheels are tights and stay tight. Then give them 500 miles and check. If loose at that point, you're back on the 100 mile program. Otherwise, give them another 1,000 miles and see if they're tight then. If they are, then they probably will stay tight until the wheels are changed.I work for a company that delivers trailers and these are the guidelines the drivers have developed to make sure the wheels stay on the trailers.From your description, this is my guess as to what happened.Jim Clark-Dawe
trailerldy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-09 9:12 PM (#58949 - in reply to #58653)

When was the last time the bearing were checked and packed...this should be done every 3 years or 12,000 miles..seen several trailers come through the repair shop & couldn't believe the wheels were still on there and also seen some that were towed in b/c they were not so lucky.
dallye
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-04-09 9:43 PM (#58952 - in reply to #58653)

Hopefully nobody or any animals were hurt.  One thing to keep in mind, many manufactures use the same axle brand, and tires.  I would just hate to see Featherlite or any other manufacture get a bad rap for something that's out of their control.  It sound like there were many good posts on possibilities on why this may have happened.  I would call the axle manufacture and question them.

Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-04-23 3:28 PM (#59807 - in reply to #58653)

Regular

I am sure the trailer brand has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. As previoulsy stated, it is more than likely a wheel/axle issue. This should be taken up with either Featherlite or the wheel/axle manufacturer, rather than trying to give the trailer company a bad name.
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-25 5:41 AM (#59913 - in reply to #58653)

Veteran

i understand your frustratsion. i am dealing with recall on my cimmeron roof right now.. i can understand why people get upset with the companies conected with their horse trailers when things happen... after all these things are not cheap its not something you rush out and buy one every yr... i think its good to post and ask questions about the various problems out there so other people can learn they may or may not have been through the same thing with their trailer. i dont see it as doggggin the manufacture..i see it is i have spent a tremous amount of money for something that i would like to work right... it does seem that there is alotttttt of problems out there with these expensive horse trailers maybe everyone involved should slow down just a little bit and put these things together right the first time.... my 2 cents

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-25 11:33 AM (#59929 - in reply to #59807)

Expert

Originally written by Ms. Trailer on 2007-04-23 3:28 PM

I am sure the trailer brand has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. As previoulsy stated, it is more than likely a wheel/axle issue. This should be taken up with either Featherlite or the wheel/axle manufacturer, rather than trying to give the trailer company a bad name.

The manufacturer takes on responsibility for the quality of the components that they buy in and use - including responsibility for selecting and using them appropriately in each application.
Translation: If Featherlite has bought and used inappropriate wheels and/or axles from Dexter or whoever else, it is Featherlite's problem.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-04-25 1:57 PM (#59935 - in reply to #59929)

Extreme Veteran

I had a simular issue only it was with brakes. Yes they were Dexter. It appeared Dexter was substituting cheaper magnets in there assembly and guess what very poor brakes! Featherlite took good care of me over that issue and I bet they will with you. Service sells! Yep it is a Featherlite problem, same as if I mailed in my tax return and the mail got lost! My problem!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)