'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2006 Toyota Tundra

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-21 1:30 PM
2 replies, 3218 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

zvelvetb
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-03-21 7:33 AM (#57438)
Subject: 2006 Toyota Tundra

I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra with the tow package.  It's rated to tow 6800#.  I have an aluminum 2 horse Hart bumper pull trailer that weighs about 3000#.  I use a weight distribution hitch with it.  I'm considering trading it for a Trail-et 2 horse gooseneck.  The Trail-et weighs 4180#.  I only haul one horse that's 14 hands (about 900#). 

Mr. Truck or anyone familiar with this Toyota, is the gooseneck too much for the truck?  Some people have said that the weight of a gooseneck is different than the weight of a bp because of it being centered over the rear axles. 

Any opinions? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-03-21 8:30 AM (#57442 - in reply to #57438)
Subject: RE: 2006 Toyota Tundra

Regular

I tow a two horse gooseneck with a 2003 Tundra. If you do a search, I've commented on my experiences before. You need to be concerned with pin weight more so than the overall tow rating. My trailer is lighter than yours, and I am at the max pin weight with mine. This means my truck has a hard time stopping the weight of the truck plus all the trailer weight that is transferred to it. It pulls just fine - its the stopping that's worrisome. I'm not getting anywhere very fast, but I think my horse appreciates that. You need find the max rear axle rating -then figure the curb weight of the truck on the rear axle, and then figure at least 20% of the loaded trailer weight. Compare this to the max rear axle rating. You also have to take into consideration things like the weight of the hitch itself, any coolers full of ice, toolboxes, bales of hay, extra passengers, generators, etc. that will also be in the back of the truck when you go somewhere. I've been towing with mine for 2 years now. I know my limitations. I rarely leave flat ground, never go above 55 mph on a two lane road, and don't tolerate any distractions in the truck. I know I have to be very cautious because it takes forever to stop (if I'm even able to stop). And, my Tundra is for sale.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-21 1:30 PM (#57460 - in reply to #57438)
Subject: RE: 2006 Toyota Tundra

Elite Veteran

The two weakness associated with past Tundra's were light frames and short wheelbases. For a bumper pull trailer, the rear axle was so close to the middle of the bed that the trailer had more leaverage. Not so with a gooseneck though, but when I towed at over 6000 lbs, the 4.7L V-8 was wide open and not the best brakes.

That's all changed for the new 2007, great power with reserve, low gears, large brakes, better frame and wheelbase. For your present Tundra, if you're staying close to that 5000-5500 lb loaded trailer weight with the gooseneck, I'd do it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)