'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
anyone have horse lacerate there extensor tendon?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-03 7:16 AM
9 replies, 5360 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

tgolden
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-28 4:33 PM (#56509)
Subject: anyone have horse lacerate there extensor tendon?

New User

Hi everyone I'm new and Ive been looking up info and would like personal experience. My 3yr old gelding went throught the fence lacerated his extensor tendon on his back leg (tendon in front of leg) vet says it'll heal and he'll be almost normal but very ridable. He did this in November and it was healling fine it completely closed up we where weaning him of the bandages (per the vet) put him out in round pen Per vet. and he was doing fine and he triped over frozen pile of manure. tore the wound back open didn't tear the tendon this time we think he's using his leg yet just limping on it now. I'm not so sure it'll heal I guess I just need some encouragement.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-02-28 11:05 PM (#56531 - in reply to #56509)
Subject: RE: anyone have horse lacerate there extensor tendon?

Have not had this particular problem but have had others; sinus surgery on horse; throat surgery on another horse. Both were very sick and took a long time to recover; but they did. It just seems like forever when you are in the middle of it. Patience and time and one day it'll be one of those "war" stories.
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-28 11:36 PM (#56535 - in reply to #56509)

I have had this happen to a horse of mine. We went over a cross-country jump and he dragged his hind end. Got caught on one of the rivets in the log. It was a long time healing. He has healed well after a year and is back to competing. My vet told me that because of where it is located and the use it gets from normal motion it is a slow process. It was weak for a wile and did take a long time to get stronger. I helped him along by taking him for long walks on flat roads. Starts out slow and move up to longer times. It was great for him not to mention a little extra exercise for me. Like I said my gelding is back to competing. He dose have a small scare but it blends with his hair fairly well. Hope all turns out well for you.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-28 11:47 PM (#56537 - in reply to #56535)

Expert

all about horses is right it take a long time to heal. MY horse did his front tendon and that was( almost 6 months ago looks good but give it time)
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-28 11:50 PM (#56538 - in reply to #56509)

Extreme Veteran

OH MY GAWD!!!!! This brought back memories of my 13 year old year for me! I had a motorcycle spook my paint mare at that time ( I'm 37 now so long time ago) and she jumped a barbed wire fence with me on her and caught her back leg in the wire and rolled the fence and me up in her and in th process tore that tendon in half! It was a miserable Jan. night, and remember my vet, mom and I out in the cold, holding a flash light for the Doc. so he could see to stitch it up, she also tore her chest wide open! Tubes placed in her chest everywhere, I remember it like it was yesterday, and what an experience for a child at the time! I cared for her all on my own! AB shots, scrubbing, bandaging, draining wounds, everything! Anyways..............she left a small scar about the width of my pointer finger wide and 1 1/2" long on her rear leg. The vet couldn't guarantee she would be sound, but she healed up and became sound. Just alot of medical care and time, and she was good to go by the middle of that summer. We have it on reel to reel film of me walking her 1 week after the accident happened and it is sooooo sad, it doesn't look like she would ever recover per the film, but she did! My vet told me to keep walking her in a small area so she wouldn't become stiff and not use the partiuclar leg.............

Good luck, I wish you well, and keep your spirits up!

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-01 9:39 AM (#56556 - in reply to #56509)

Expert

This could be the one accident that hasn't happened to me, it's hard to believe.  The best thing you can do is ask your vet questions and follow his/her advice to a "T".  What I have seen are folks that stop following the advice of their vet and start another healing program with bad results.  (I'm not saying you are going to venture out on your own or that people here would give poor advice.)

If you need a second opinion on your horse find another equine vet, if your first vet gets his/her panties in a wad because you talked to another vet then you need another vet.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-01 11:42 AM (#56566 - in reply to #56556)

Expert

huntseat is RIGHT follow your vet if you have question ask. everything els is just supporting you through this time of trouble
tgolden
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-01 12:25 PM (#56569 - in reply to #56509)

New User

Thanks everyone don't really have to worry about giving him extercise he paces back and forth constantly in his stall (12x20)  just need some patients i guess
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-01 12:48 PM (#56570 - in reply to #56509)

You still may want to think about some alternative exercise. The pacing is a nervous response and could be placing undue pressure or pain on the injury. When he paces he will have to plant the injured leg to push off or pivot on which may cause re opening. Also by getting him out of the stall he will get some other scenery and burn off some extra energy. You also may help other problems associated with stall rest. I know it is hard sometimes but a little extra help to him can go a long way.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-03-03 7:16 AM (#56656 - in reply to #56509)

Our vet Dr David Jolly   501-844-7997 has healed many. They ship them in from all over the country to his wound study. I think he has a webpage also of his own where you can accually see the case studies progress. He works with other vets around the world to help heal horses and get them back to work. Tell him Mindy told you to call......

The product he uses:

http://www.belumedx.com/

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World