'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aluminum floor questions and Trailer Comparison

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-21 7:28 AM
11 replies, 4282 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Brookejisha
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-02-16 10:28 AM (#55672)
Subject: Aluminum floor questions and Trailer Comparison

I have been needing a trailer for a while. I am trying to compare 3 Brands without having to travel all over and have misinformed salesmen try and help me.I am just looking for a basic 3 horse with escape door , drops and bus slide windows on rear. Nothing with Living Quarters. I have been looking at the Exiss for the flush slam latch dividers, The Sundowner for all of the aminities. And they have been around forever. The Hawk for the aminities and flush slam latches. I was concered about the spacing of the I Beam Cross members on the floor. Someone had warned be about possible sinking or warn down areas in between the cross members on an aluminum floor that was not designed correctly. Please give me some input.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sflynn
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-16 12:27 PM (#55681 - in reply to #55672)
Subject: RE: Aluminum floor questions and Trailer Comparison

I have two trailers; 1 Sundowner valuelite bp and 1 Featherlite gn.....I am very carefull about cleaning my trailers out after every use.  However BOTH had corrosion, whatever brand you decide on make sure you seal the floor.  I elected to use a do-it-yourself liner similar to the Rhino. 
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-17 7:59 AM (#55715 - in reply to #55672)

Veteran

Can't speak for Exiss and Hawk, never owned either, but we have had two Sundowners (the newest was an '04), and I can tell ya from experience that I was NOT impressed with the spacing of their crossmembers under the floor at all, when you'd load a horse or walk one down the wagon (inside of corse), I swear to ya you could see the floor bow and bend between them.  Enough to scare me, and I'm fearless!  We sold them and went to Stidham trailers, best move we've ever made--ain't lookin' back!  Hope this helps ya a little, talk to y'all later... 
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-18 6:30 PM (#55794 - in reply to #55672)

Extreme Veteran

I personally wouldn't get anything that doesn't have a plank floor.
foxpointfarm
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-18 8:53 PM (#55801 - in reply to #55672)

We have a Hawk trailer and have been very satisfied with the floor. It is 2x6 pressure treated wood with galvanized steel crossmember 24" on center. Wood is nice because it helps dampen road vibrations and does not conduct heat in the summer like aluminum does. A wood floor in a WELL DESIGNED trailer like a Hawk will last just as long as aluminum floors.

We looked at all aluminum Sundowner and Adam as well as Hawks. We felt we got more for our money with Hawk.

Tripper
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-19 10:28 AM (#55833 - in reply to #55672)

A plank floor system is the best usually gives you a crossmember every 6 inches I would check out a Cimarron trailer not only do they have a plank floor but an insulated roof panel for those hot Texas summers.Bonded trailers in Denton has a link to their website. www.bondedtrailers.com
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-19 10:40 AM (#55836 - in reply to #55672)

Expert

Brookejisha, in Texas during the summer you'll need drops on both head and rump side of the trailer.  If you get stuck in a traffic jam your horses will bake like "Taters" in ANY trailer!

I'd vote against Sundowner as they seem to have not gotten over the Voucher Scandle and didn't seem to handle it well in my opinion.

You can find used Exiss in Texas very easily and Hawks just don't come up for sale very offten because people love them too much!

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-02-19 8:17 PM (#55874 - in reply to #55836)

Extreme Veteran

Hmmm I've never seen a Cimmaron with a wood floor. I have seen a CM with a wood floor but not a Cimmarron
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-02-19 9:02 PM (#55880 - in reply to #55672)

Veteran

Just went through this whole process- Sundowner had a lined corrugated floor but the beams were 24 inches apart- not too impressed.  Almost bought a Hawk with a Rumber floor- but too heavy.  The alum. floor of the featherlites were really scary- MUCH thinner than the Merhow (at least of the 2 I compared) and defin. could feel it "move" when I would stomp around.  If you go alum. first off defin. go for the plank!  Second- have it sprayed, preferably from factory as the floor has to be very clean to do so.  I ended up with Logan XTR that has the sprayed plank floor- VERY solid and I have a heavy draft cross. 

Good Luck!!

ps- the Rumber is really a nice alternative- again the spacing of the beams has to be closer for the Rumber than for wood-

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-02-20 11:49 AM (#55913 - in reply to #55672)

Elite Veteran

I have a '97 2H BP that has the rumber floor and it has been a fantastic floor.  Just wash it out - I use the trailer on a regular basis and it's in great shape. The rumber floor was standard in this brand of trailer.

I recently bought an '03 2H GN and it doesn't have the rumber floor.  I'm seriously thinking of getting the rhino liner put on it. 

jmprgirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-20 5:17 PM (#55927 - in reply to #55672)

I know the Merhow Alum. floors are STURDY. Plus they are tongue and groove instead of flat smooth alum. They have a pick of a 1 ton pickup truck on top of their alum. floor.... Its pretty cool.
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 7:28 AM (#55956 - in reply to #55672)

Veteran

i have a 04 cimmeron with alum floor.. if not mistaken thats the only way cimmerons come. the cm has wood floors no comparison in the two.. i am happy with my trailer it is a heavy trailer though..i did get drop down windows on both sides and am i ever glad the trailer happened to come that way because that was not on my list.. if your hauling in hot weather makes all the difference in the world..we hauled home from ky three and half hour drive last year it was 98 outside and when we pulled in and unloaded horses were not wet from sweat at all.. you do have to take care of the alum floors as with the plank but if you keep them washed out 2 or 3 times a year and keep bedding in them to soak up urine i think they will last a long time... good luck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)