'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Edwards Air Force Base... Horse country?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-29 5:38 PM
17 replies, 6438 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

nabsolute
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-20 1:30 AM (#54137)
Subject: Edwards Air Force Base... Horse country?

I'm thinking about taking a job at Edwards Air Force base, one of those jobs that pay's a LOT more money, and will advance my career, but I'm not so hot on the idea of moving to the high desert.

I'm from Oregon.. The Valley part (GREEN GREEN GREEN)@!

I've got 2 horses that keep me sane (for the most part), and I definatly can not part with them.

Does anyone know about this area? If there are things for outdoorsie people to do? With horses?? Anywhere to even keep horses in the Lancaster/Palmdale area? I also hear (from alot of research), that palmdale and lancaster have high crime rates... Are there smaller cities near by, that my have less of a crime rate? <<<< Thats really important to me, cause I thought I lived in a safe area (WAY OUT IN THE COUNTRY), but some meth head still managed to break into my tack room and steal over $4000 worth of stuff I spent a life time accumulating.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-01-20 12:35 PM (#54152 - in reply to #54137)
Subject: RE: Edwards Air Force Base... Horse country?

Expert

Where is Edwards AFB?  We are in NM and there is lots of room to ride and my horses actually seem to like it better here than in very hot humid S. Tx.  No 115 degree days with 90% humidity to suffer through.
nabsolute
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-20 7:41 PM (#54160 - in reply to #54137)

Edwards AFB is about 1 1/2 hours east of LA, and about 2 hours west of Las Vegas... I think... Or somewhere close to right inbetween the two
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-01-20 9:22 PM (#54163 - in reply to #54137)

Veteran

Wow, making a move from beautiful green Oregon to the SoCal high desert will be a pretty big adjustment scenery wise.  In my opinion, the CA high desert isn't anywhere near as pretty as the AZ desert.  But there are some beautiful places to ride in the high desert.

What kind of riding do you do?  There are a lot of horse activities in the different disciplines in Southern California.  In the high desert there's places to trail ride and there's also a lot of team roping.  If you have QH, there's a Quarter Horse show in Lancaster (in June I think).   There's also a PRCA Rodeo up there.

I have heard there's a high crime rate in Lancaster/Palmdale, but I'm sure there are some safe areas to live.  I wish I new someone who lived there now, so that I could ask them for you. 

Feel free to email Roperchick@cox.net or PM me if you have any other questions.

Edited by RoperChick 2007-01-20 9:24 PM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-01-21 6:31 AM (#54176 - in reply to #54137)

Elite Veteran

Way back when and I hate to admit how long ago, I lived in the high desert for a while.  I was stationed at George AFB in Victorville, CA in between San B. and Las Vegas.  I had more interest in motorcylces than horses at the time, but my love for horses helped me find the time to do some horse back riding while I was there.  Found out while I was there that it was the home of Roy Rogers, not right in Victorville, but a little ways out of town in Apple Valley.  I think it was on the main road to Palm Springs, Indio and one of the routes you could take Big Bear.  If the High Desert was good enough for Roy, Dale, Buttercup and Trigger, it must be a pretty nice place. 

My only suggestion when looking to make that move to the desert is searching out some good honest help in making sure your horses don't suffer from the climate change.  Keeping them cool and hydrated will be high on your list.  You will also need someone or some group to help you understand that the desert can be unforgiving for very small mistakes.  It can be a harsh place as well as a wonderful place.  I have VERY fond memories of the time I spent there and it's a good place for horses if you do your homework. 

I made several visits to different places in and around Las Vegas that I called horse ranches.  I visited Wayne Newton's horse ranch several times in Perumpf, NV (sp) where he raised Arabs and was amazed at his facility.  Not necessarily for the money he spent, but the approach he took in caring for the horses in the desert.

PLEASE take heed to my suggestion of finding someone/group that can "show you the ropes" of keeping horses in the desert and I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.  I know I did.

Happy trails.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-01-21 4:10 PM (#54196 - in reply to #54176)

Expert

I suspect it will cost you more to live in Southern California than where you are coming from. Check and see if the pay raise will off set the cost of living increase. Not only the cost of buying a new home & acreage, but what will hay cost you to feed.

There is a lot of horse activity with in short drives of that area.  Norco is located on I-15, So if you are into showing etc, I would think they would be plenty of opportunity.  Bishop Californa has it's Mule Days.  It would seems lots of horsey events could be found if you could trailer an hour or two.

And while the summers are hot in the high desert. The other nine months of the year offer more comfortable temps. It would be a dramatic change from the lush green you are used to. But people still enjoy horses, and they don't have to watch them stand in the mud for the rainy season.

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-21 5:24 PM (#54198 - in reply to #54137)

Extreme Veteran

51 Well.... I live NEXT to Edwards AFB, and WE LOVE IT HERE. Yes, it gets hot in the summer, but in 25 minutes you can be in the Angeles Nat Forest and can explore the buttes and poppy fields all day, and never see another rider if you want. We keep our horses at home, have good hay supply, and lots of good folks to ride and talk with, who love to be around horses. I am going to give you a place to look where a lot of folks have a yahoo group. We discuss and talk, ride together, network for what and where ECT. go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/avhorselist I am known as Steve, and there are all kinds of folks from trainers to realtors, to blanket repair folks and local activists. I am also the secratary for the Lake Los Angeles Trailriders, which is a group about 20 minute south of the base who are faqmily oriented, and all ride together. We have Dressage folks, western folks, and english folks. Come on down for a peek at our place!! Steve on the grey Arabian [IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/siseley/montanadeoroandsiseley022.jpg[/IMG] Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-01-23 6:28 PM (#54376 - in reply to #54198)

Elite Veteran

siseley, I remember a lot scenery just that in your picture when I lived in Victorville.  Makes a little home sick for an earlier time.

Happy trails.

nabsolute
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-24 11:52 AM (#54418 - in reply to #54137)

So what are the rules to keeping horses in the high desert?  What does someone like me, who has never lived or had horses in the high desert, need to know?

With 50 degree temp swings (in 24 hour period) in the winter, does it still get cold at night in the summer?  Blankets in winter, or do they still get a winter coat?

any advise would be helpful.

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-24 4:20 PM (#54426 - in reply to #54137)

Extreme Veteran

Ok, here in the high desert our horses grow a good winter coat, and we only blanket when the temps go below 30. Most of the folks have their horses on their property, or at one of a few large boarding facilities. Unless you live in one of the townships, you keep your horses on the lots on the east side of the valley as they are usually pretty good size. ( 1/4 to 2 acres.) A run in shed or shader for both summer sun, and winter wind is best for protection. I'll put a pic of our place here in Lake Los Angeles, and you can see that we have enough room to not bother the neighbors too much.  You of course must clean your corrals and turn outs frequently as most folks do. ( yes, that is snow in the mtns!)

kewpalace
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-24 5:56 PM (#54433 - in reply to #54137)

I live in Tehachapi, which is about 50 miles northeast of Edwards and known as a "mountain community".  There are quite a few people who commute to Edwards from Tehachapi and Tehachapi is a big horse community.  Different areas of Tehachapi are "greener" (Like Bear Valley Springs & Stallion Springs) than others - I live in the Sand Canyon Area which is between the towns of Mojave and Tehachapi and is sort of a cross Terrain-wise between Mountain and High Desert.  Tehachapi does get snow in the Winter (although we are seriously lacking this year).  Do a Google search on the various areas (Bear Valley Springs, Stallion Springs, Golden Hills, Oak Knolls, Sand Canyon, Tehachapi) and I'm sure you'll come up with alot of links.  We are also in Kern County, so we don't have the LA County pricing.

Here's some pictures:

My house last March:

Last March

Oak Knolls area (cow clinic):

Golden Hills looking a bit southeast

Near the Town (Cherry Lane - Buck Brannaman Clinic):

Buck Brannaman Clinic 5/06 <b></b>(near town<b></b>)

Bear Valley Springs (Horsemanship Clinic):

Bear Valley Springs last October

Sand Canyon Area:

Sand Canyon Area

And beautiful sunsets:

Other photos can be seen at my trainers website: http://www.mattsheridan.net/

nabsolute
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-24 9:33 PM (#54456 - in reply to #54137)

Thank you all for so much in-put. Keep it comming!!!

I'm starting to see that the high desert of CA may have it's own beauty to offer, beauty that is different and unique to the area.

I just worry about taking 2 horses that are "oregon grown", and dumping them into the desert (I guess I'd be going through the same changes). Maybe they would enjoy the sunshine and lack of mud.... but then again, these 2 horses will find the muddiest part of the pasture, and roll in it... even if everything is dry, and there is one puddle.... they'll be rollin in the puddle.
nabsolute
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-24 9:34 PM (#54457 - in reply to #54137)

how do you post embeded pictures like that/?? I'd like to share what it looks like here, and what "my ladies" are used to..
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-25 11:34 PM (#54518 - in reply to #54456)

Extreme Veteran

I kinow how much you will miss the green trees, and constant misting of the Oregon area, but the foothills where "Kewpalace" lives, and the buttes where i live all have a lot of attraction too. the one common thing is; we all keep our animals on our own land, and can ride out from there anytime and go for many miles. I would suggest you come down and take a look before you discount the area, as there is much to be found here. In my neighborhood, there is a 4br/2bath home with a pipe corrals, and shedrow shelter, on 1 3/4 acres that backs up to the local park, for sale for 255M, and is only 4 blocks from the local supermarket and shopping square.  from the park you can access the entire Love-Joy Buttes area, and can also go up to Piute Buttes and over to the A.V, Indian Museum and Saddleback State Park. We have three hay and feed dealers, two alfalfa growers, and a nice quiet community that is diverse in makeup. In this picture are my wife and I, and the property I told you about is in the background.

Steve ..on the Grey

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-01-26 12:22 AM (#54520 - in reply to #54518)

Expert

In my neighborhood, there is a 4br/2bath home with a pipe corrals, and shedrow shelter, on 1 3/4 acres that backs up to the local park, for sale for 255M

As in 225 million? 

marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-01-26 3:37 AM (#54523 - in reply to #54137)

Regular

I grew up in Calif. and was stuck in the Lanc./Palmdale area from 3rd grade until age 23 when I moved to Iowa. I never knew there were so many shades of green! Personally I would NEVER move back. I occasionally go to visit family, but I try to get them to come here when I can. I never saw anything beautiful about the desert. I don't understand how my family can live there when all they talk about is being afraid to go out after dark or shop in certain areas. My daughter enjoys watching the helicopters fly around looking for bad guys. My father in law is retired Army and enjoys driving out to the base.The only good thing I have to say about the high desert, Calif., and having horses is.. when I was young and couldn't drive or own a trailer, I could ride for hours without a fence stopping me. My horses were always in my back yard. As a teenager, my dogs and I could ride all day and even chase coyotes. When I was real little, I remember riding the fire routes in the Angeles Forest. Good luck making a descision. I agree the Tehachapi area is nicer.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-01-28 6:25 PM (#54619 - in reply to #54137)

Veteran

Air Force dittoes!  I've been in 10 years, trying to avoid force shaping now!  Yay!

Edwards is pretty good horse country from what I've been told.  I'd prefer New Mexico and southeastern AZ to California; those deserts aren't too bad, but California has some good horse places (Edwards included!)

Good luck with your decision. 

Mike

Edited by racesarabhorses 2007-01-28 6:34 PM
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-01-29 5:38 PM (#54684 - in reply to #54520)

Extreme Veteran

Looks like it should be 255 thousand!

Sorry I was thinking in roman numerals.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'