'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone ridden Big Sandy(Shoshone) & Battle Park(Big Horns)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-09 8:26 PM
3 replies, 3379 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2007-01-06 2:56 PM (#53415)
Subject: Anyone ridden Big Sandy(Shoshone) & Battle Park(Big Horns)

Extreme Veteran

How do the roads in compare?

We have been to Battle Park. Will never travel that road again. Considering Big Sandy, and would like some input on that road.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2007-01-07 6:09 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
trax
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-01-07 12:49 PM (#53453 - in reply to #53415)
Subject: RE: Anyone ridden Big Sandy(Shoshone) & Battle Park(Big Horns)

Hi,  can't really compare the two because I've only been to Battle Park.  The last 15 miles off the black top to Battle Park is a rough, rocky, not very well maintained road.  Hard, dirt surface, but very rough. Also large rocks and deep holes.  

If you don't want to shake everything apart, I would plan on a 45 min to 1 hour trip for the last 15 miles.  There are horse and people supplies in the town of Ten Sleep but would recommend bringing as much as you can to avoid the 15 mile trip in and out.  Great riding, worth the trip

Would appreciate any information on the Big Sandy "Shoshone" camping area, trails, drive in, etc.

Thanks, Dennis

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-01-08 8:42 PM (#53548 - in reply to #53415)

Expert

I know bob is trying to get a comparison of what he knows vs where he has not been. And he and I have talked about this.  The road into Big Sandy is  about 45 miles of gravel. Depending on the last time the grader went down the road it can be prettty smooth or it can be terribly washboard.

Most of the road just runs out through the sagebrush country. The last 8-10 miles follows the river vally up and has hills of bothsides. The road can be a little narrower in the area. It's not a road that tears bumpers off. but it can vibrate the heck out of your trailer if it's washboard and you drive the wrong speed.

Same thing for the road into Green River Lakes. 40-45 miles of gravel road. Folks in suburbans fly by at 40 mph. Pulling horses or big RV's you creep along at 15 mph. Of course the ranchers with their stock trailers fly by at 40 mph. Their tires only hitting about every 4th washboard.

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-09 8:26 PM (#53630 - in reply to #53415)

Extreme Veteran

Bob is in the same group as my wife and I headed to Big Sandy this summer. We've been to Battle Park and loved the riding - hated the road in. We are looking for info from someone who has been there in the last year and can tell us about the road in.

Thanks to Painted. He has been a huge help to us. Now, we need road info.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

Edited by Cloud9 2007-01-09 8:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'