'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Need Replacement Keys

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-24 4:12 PM
19 replies, 7694 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-02 6:12 PM (#53208)
Subject: Need Replacement Keys

Veteran

Happy New Year to all of you helpful folks out there.  I bought a two horse 4 star with lovely weekender.  Its a 2000, and I am happy with the trailer BUT...the dealer met me on the road to save me a few hours driving...didn't bring/doesn't have keys to the windows, cowboy shower, deadbolt.  Any ideas where I can locate replacement keys?  Also, not a single manual for the furnace, roof a/c, fridge, etc.  Those I figure I can find on line.  But, any ideas for keys?  Thanks much.  No leaks in this trailer (YET) but I see serious caulking around the roof intrusions such as the HVAC and roof vents, etc.  Should I be heating/removing/replacing this caulk?  Its now going on seven years old...

Much appreciate any advice or input.  Eleanor

Eleanor

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-01-02 6:16 PM (#53210 - in reply to #53208)
Subject: RE: Need Replacement Keys

Elite Veteran

I would have the dealer over night the keys to you!!! Good Luck!
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-01-02 8:15 PM (#53216 - in reply to #53208)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Raven.  Have the dealer overnight the keys.  If he doesnt' have them, then ask him to get the keys from the previous owner.  That should have been a done deal when the trade occurred!!  Or at least I hope that is the way it happens.

Jbsny

PaintCrazyGal
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-02 8:53 PM (#53221 - in reply to #53208)

New User

Definitely replace that caulking, too. It'll save you bucks and heartache. Remove the old and replace with a marine grade. Can be found at any major home improvement store. :) Good luck
Sheree
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-01-02 9:04 PM (#53222 - in reply to #53208)

Uh, hate to say this, but you need to call the manufacturer with your vin number and ask for keys. I bought a used trailer from a large reputable dealer and when the dealer did not have the keys, I called Equispirit, the manufacturer, to ask if they could send me some. That is when I found out the "vin" on the title and on the trailer tongue was bogus. It was a stolen trailer. The correct vin was still there hidden way back on the frame under the trailer where the thief did not find it, but he had changed the one on the tongue and removed the plate from the dressing room. I did not get the trailer, the dealer kept it and is going to have to find the guy who traded it to them. The trailer was stolen three years ago in another state. I was soo disappointed too. It was a really nice trailer with hardly any use at all (now I know why of course). The dealer was not happy--they didn't have a clue. It was a really good job of doctoring a title.
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-01-03 9:16 AM (#53229 - in reply to #53208)

Veteran

evallone,

We bought a trailer a few years back with a similar problem. This particular manufacturer used TRI-MARK brand locksets throughout the trailer. The previous owner had all the keys except for the deadbolt. After trying every locksmith in our area (none carried these brand of blanks) and having one to say that he would order them (didn't happen after staying after him for a solid year) I finally found information on the net to order them thru the lock manufacturer. We had to replace the cylynder to the deadbolt and went ahead and ordered enough keys to make 4 full  sets.It turned out to be a costly venture by the time they threw in inflated shipping and exspensive replacement keys but at least we now have extra sets in case a set gets lost.I'm not sure about other manufacturers keys but TRI-MARK keys can be made from the code # off the origanal keys if you have them but it sounds as if you may have to replace the cylynders like we did. They did list some of the keys that we needed on some camper supply websites but wouldnt you know it that most of ours couldn't be found anywhere but at the lock manufacturer and the trailer used 2 different keys for the door and 2 different ones for the windows. Good luck and hope this helps!

Ardly

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-03 6:10 PM (#53260 - in reply to #53229)

Extreme Veteran

I would try the dealer first and if he doesn't have them but it does not always work. I bought a new Hart with Outlaw and wanted anotherset of keys and the only way I could get it was to go to the manufacturer of the door lock. Hart said they could not get them but as the reg. owner the lock man. would send them to me. Keep tring you can get them. I even bought a repo Sundowner that had no keys and I got them all replaced.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-04 6:07 PM (#53294 - in reply to #53208)

Veteran

THANKS for all your helpful thoughts and advice.  Much appreciated.  I feel the dealer, Kerlin Motors, should have advised me before I set off on my trip that I would not be receiving the keys or the appliance paperwork for the trailer.  I would have searched out another trailer, or waiting for them to find/supply these important items, had I been advised.  But its sort of hard to deal with these issues at an interstate rest stop pick up site, ten hours from home.  Live and learn.

Happy trails to all.  Eleanor

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-04 7:47 PM (#53303 - in reply to #53208)

Extreme Veteran

I will have to say with Exiss you don't get skimped on keys by any means.  They gave me a gallon size bag full.  I was a little worried thinking I would have 5 or 6 different keys but Noop. Only had 2 different keys.  All the locks had been rekeyed to match. That was excellent. Good planning on their part.
Sheree
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-01-04 10:39 PM (#53312 - in reply to #53208)

When I looked at a trailer, and asked if they had the keys, they told me all the keys are the same for all the trailers of that brand (don't remember which it was). I was shocked, thinking a thief would have fun with one key that fits lots of trailers. The dealer told me most mfgs do this to some degree. It cuts their overhead. You should ask about that. If your trailer(s) don't have a one of a kind unique lock, you should know it. Just food for thought.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-01-05 8:51 AM (#53325 - in reply to #53208)

Extreme Veteran

thanks for posting about keys.  Now I have another "check" for my list when I look at trailers.  :-)

Jbsny

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-05 12:18 PM (#53337 - in reply to #53208)

Veteran

Yes, please do learn from my oversight.  That is why I posted this.  I hope someone else avoids this headache and expense.  It is not the right way to do business.  By the way, I have purchased two other trails "on line", one from Uncle Bob's Trailer Sales from 2000 miles away, and both arrived clean, complete, and went a LONG way to improve my confidence in long distance deals.  So, not all dealers pull these "fast ones".  Happy Trails.  Eleanor
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-01-06 12:05 PM (#53407 - in reply to #53312)

Veteran

I forgot to take keys along when the local camper/trailer/RV dealer did the winterization on my Hawk gooseneck with weekender. He said they got in with master keys!!! So maybe a camper trailer place?

Also was told by some people that it would cost me $50 for a new key for my Silverado - turned out to be $8.95 at the dealer no sweat.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-01-08 1:54 PM (#53523 - in reply to #53229)

Expert

Must have been a dealer in Missouri. We've bought 2 LQ trailers in Missouri.The first dealer didn't tell us they had "lost" the keys to it until we returned from lunch to hook up and take the trailer home.The salespeople had cut out,not wanting to deal with us to our face,and left some poor guy working the lot as a handyman to deliver that news.We went ahead (in hindsight,I would have asked for my deposit check back,hooked back up to my tradein trailer and told them when they had the keys,we would be back for the trailer.) Because what we went through that afterwards was certainly not worth the argument I'm sure would have ensued from that action on the lot.Incidentally,I believe the owner was there lurking around in the process,think I wound up walking behind him on the way out of the main store.We finally after many phone calls and threats,got our keys from the manufacturer of the trailer.Platinum Enterprises.And the key to the battery box was not the original key/battery box put on the trailer when it was made.apparently they had switched boxes,either when they installed the electric jack or at some other time.SO a dealer from across the road from them offered to send me a battery box key as there are only about 2 universal keys that fit those type locks. Now to the second story.Traded trailers again to a Missouri dealer (NOT the same dealer.) Trailer arrives at designated meeting site.We are there ready with ALL of our keys that we'd had to go through H and high water to get a few years ago.And--they had a master key with them.Apparently they had also "lost" the keys to this 53K LQ trailer! I nearly screamed.The master key worked everything but the LQ deadbolt.This dealer finally did get us some keys,but sent cylinders that we had to change out on the windows,ect.Who wants to go through that hassel?I really don't understand why grown men have such problems keeping track of a set of keys.I know these guys have a lot of trailers on their lot.But is there not some method to keeping up with keys at these places? Good thing while working as a nurse,when someone would request their lockup pain medication,I couldn't say,"OOOPPPS! I've lost those keys."

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-01-09 7:18 PM
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-01-08 4:32 PM (#53528 - in reply to #53208)

Extreme Veteran

I had a new lock put on my LQ a couple of weeks ago. I wanted more than the two keys they gave me, and needed some additional keys for the other locks. Both set of keys have FIC on them. The RV dealer that replaced my lock told me to call FIC at this number and they would send you new keys: 800-837-2505. Which I did today and left a message.

-Betty

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-08 5:02 PM (#53531 - in reply to #53528)

Veteran

Thanks Betty!  Much appreciated.  Will call and see what I can do. This post has been more than helpful. Eleanor
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-08 5:45 PM (#53534 - in reply to #53531)

Extreme Veteran

One of the biggest name brands use all the same keys on the LQ door only difference is the deadbolt they are different so if you have that brand better use your deadbolt!!!
smashedonpepper
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-22 11:02 AM (#54233 - in reply to #53528)

New User

Originally written by bjhouten on 2007-01-08 4:32 PM

I had a new lock put on my LQ a couple of weeks ago. I wanted more than the two keys they gave me, and needed some additional keys for the other locks. Both set of keys have FIC on them. The RV dealer that replaced my lock told me to call FIC at this number and they would send you new keys: 800-837-2505. Which I did today and left a message.

-Betty

I just tried this phone number and it sait it wasn't a valid number???
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-01-22 9:01 PM (#54300 - in reply to #53208)

Veteran

So, for all you who may be following this post...here is what I did...

The RV store sold me replacement locks for my water access and cowboy shower door ($4.65 apiece), which helped me to get winterized.  I plan to take the deadbolt off and replace it if I cannot find a code to get a replacement key or if 4 Star can't help me out.  The FIC number (post above)...I am trading calls with them and hoping they can give me keys for all the windows (four of them).  Please, learn from my mistake.  This is a hassle that shouldn't have been left for me.  Make sure to ask in advance if you will get ALL the keys when you get your trailer...or charge back PLENTY to cover your time and effort and expense (running around, etc.). 

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-01-24 4:12 PM (#54425 - in reply to #54233)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by smashedonpepper on 2007-01-22 11:02 AM

Originally written by bjhouten on 2007-01-08 4:32 PM

-Betty

I just tried this phone number and it sait it wasn't a valid number???

hmm.. I just redial this number and it does seem to be disconnected.  This is the number I have on my yellow sticky note. I didn't get a call back from them, but my keys arrived in about 6 days. I left my address and the numbers on my keys. I was so tickled.. I've got key sets in my truck, my purse, in the barn, and hidden away on my truck. I'll never get locked out of my LQ again.   You can call the All Star RV and check the number with them: 972-516-2222 and make sure I got the right number, or they didn't get a new number. Or a local RV store might be able to help you. I tried to google for the lock company, but I don't know the full company name.

-Betty

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)