'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Settled on a new trailer, a few questions about Rhino lining...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-04 10:41 PM
10 replies, 4404 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-30 9:29 PM (#52079)
Subject: Settled on a new trailer, a few questions about Rhino lining...

Regular

I work for a company that has a service contract with a Rhino-liner provider in our area, and was wondering if anyone has ever had that product sprayed onto/over the wooden flooring? Or is that what a Rumber floor is to begin with? I can get a substantial discount if I choose to have it sprayed. I looked at a Rumber floor trailer locally and it looked like a Rhino-lined floor to my inexperienced eye.

Will be picking up the trailer in a few weeks and would like to have it sprayed while it is still all new and un-pooped and peed in... before putting the horses into it. What do you all think of that idea?

lisa.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-12-01 6:36 AM (#52083 - in reply to #52079)
Subject: RE: Settled on a new trailer, a few questions about Rhino lining...

Veteran

Go to www.rumber.com to get the full story on what exactly it is.  What Rumber isn't is a sprayed on surface.  It is a solid material, and from all accounts that I've looked at, it's very durable and rot resistant.  Other than the usual wood preservative type products, I'm not sure that you'd want to apply a sprayed surface to a wood floor.  Rubber mats over the wood seems to be the generally accepted way to utilize and protect wood flooring. 

Steve

rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-12-01 8:50 AM (#52087 - in reply to #52079)

Regular

Rumber is the way to go, but if you ordered wood and get the inside sprayed with rhino, I would seriously think about having the company spray the underneath side of the trailer also, this is where you will get all the rot from the road debris, heck you get a discount anyway. And if it where my new trailer I would lay out more $$ and have about 3-4ft up on the sides done as well. I seem to go over board on some things but I tell ya your trailer would look like new for a long time.
WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-12-01 9:27 PM (#52107 - in reply to #52079)

Regular

Thanks for the website info., will read up more about it first. Sounds like it wouldn't be a good choice. They show it being used specifically in horse trailers on their website, but again, they are trying to sell their product. And repairs to the floor would definitely be harder to accomplish if something should happen.

Wondering if the guys even could spray the underside without putting it on a lift somehow, but that is something to consider in making a decision. The trailer does have the usual mats and there is rubber protection up the sides, but the front wall between the first stall and the dressing room is not protected. Maybe I will just have that sprayed to protect that part and leave the rest alone. I'm very diligent about keeping the floors swept with each use and power washed every few months when the trailer is being used often, I should stick with that I guess.

Thanks for your opinions.

lisa in colorado
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-12-01 9:36 PM (#52108 - in reply to #52107)

Elite Veteran

>>Thanks for the website info., will read up more about it first. Sounds like it wouldn't be a good choice. They show it being used specifically in horse trailers on their website, but again, they are trying to sell their product. And repairs to the floor would definitely be harder to accomplish if something should happen.

Hi Lisa,
Just so you know...the "Rumber" is the floor. ~:] The only thing under the Rumber are the support beams.

Think of Rumber as wooden planks/boards. Hope that helps you.

WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-12-01 9:44 PM (#52110 - in reply to #52108)

Regular

Yep, I just finished reading about that. Thanks! I merely glanced at the floor and it felt more springy, so I made an assumption that it was applied over the wood. The salesman had nothing to even say about it. Surprising, as that would be a good selling point I would think. Well, that trailer was about $12K out of my price range anyway. (Sigh. Think lotto tickets, Power Ball maybe.)
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-12-04 7:18 AM (#52163 - in reply to #52079)

Elite Veteran

FYI:  My '97 trailer has the rumber floor and yes it is rubber planks over an aluminum frame.  I use the trailer on a regular basis (bought it new) and the floor still looks great.  No heavy mats to pull out - just sweep or hose it down. 
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-12-04 10:01 AM (#52169 - in reply to #52110)

Veteran

Hello- I did a lot of research on integrity of the rumber and was absolutely sold on it.  The problem I had was the weight- really wanted the Hawk but the trailer was around 3,800 lbs (2H, BP with DR).  I ended up with the Logan XTR which has a plank alum. floor.  The floor is coated with vortex (assume this is similar to rhino.) as are the walls.  This is the  only way I'd get alum. floor- if it was protected.  This trailer is built very and the floor is awesome, much better , in my opinion, than the sheet alum. flooring with a few holes drilled in it for drainage!

My friend has a Merhow with a wood floor- BOTTOM of floor (under the trailer) seems to have been coated, but not the top.  I'd be nervous coating wood as it may hide eventual soft spots.  Hope all ends well for you!

rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-12-04 11:41 AM (#52174 - in reply to #52079)

Regular

What about WERM. I put in in my LQ Aluminum floor and would recommend it to anyone.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-12-04 7:13 PM (#52188 - in reply to #52079)

Expert

My 2000 Classic had a rumber plank floor and Rumber sheets on the walls.

It held up great. When I sold it after 5 years, you could hardly see any wear. And I use my trailer a LOT.

WesternSky
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-12-04 10:41 PM (#52196 - in reply to #52079)

Regular

I closely examined new Rhino lining material today at the shop, and have definitely decided against it. It is slicker (well actually harder feeling and less cushion-y and rubbery) and also shinier than I remember it to be when we had it sprayed in our truck bed. I don't think that would be a good idea on the floor. However, I am going to have them spray the door backs and the wall between the dressing room and the first stall. The sides are already lined.

I'm really diligent about keeping things clean and swept up. The floor in the trailer I just sold lasted 20 years before replacing the wood, and even then it wasn't all that bad. Thanks for your help everyone.

lisa.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)