'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wireless Tire Pressure Monitor

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-30 9:10 PM
8 replies, 3381 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-28 11:20 AM (#49295)
Subject: Wireless Tire Pressure Monitor

Regular

I always enjoy reviewing Mr Truck's website and noticed a product for wireless monitoring of tire air pressure. Wondered if anyone on this forum had purchased this system and how they like it.

http://www.mrtrailer.com/pressurepro.htm

Back in the spring, I made a 4 hr night trip with a 20 ft gooseneck trailer and 3 horses. Stopped after about 3 hrs for fuel and the fellow at the pump behind me asked "Did you know your missing a tire on the other side of the trailer?" The ditch side back tire was shredded....I never felt a thing, trailer pulled like a dream. I shudder to think what would have happened at 70 mph and the one remaining tire had decided to give it up.

While this product isn't cheap, it is a lot less than vet bills, medical bills, trailer repairs, or worse.

Rattler

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-28 12:32 PM (#49299 - in reply to #49295)
Subject: RE: Wireless Tire Pressure Monitor

Veteran

rattler,

I haven't tried the product that you're referring too,but I can vouch for the fact that it's quick and easy to ruin a tire on a trailer, particularly one with rubber torsion axle. Had this happen twice with no knowledge of it whatsoever ti'll stopped! Did not shred them mind You, but ruined the sidewall none the less. You could have poked Your finger thru the sidewall it had wore so thin. Would love to have an economical product that would save this from happening again!

,Ardly

rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-28 1:45 PM (#49300 - in reply to #49295)

Regular

I always walk around the trailer and check everything when I stop but this happened at some point between leaving the barn and stopping 3 hrs later for fuel. Since it was a night trip, I never saw anything in the mirrors nor did the trailer pull any differently than normal.

While many are concerned about having enough truck to pull a trailer...it is good tires and brakes that will keep you out of trouble. One only needs to see a horse trailer after a wreck to recognize the fragility of hauling live animals around.

While this device wouldn't prevent or help in an outright blowout based on hitting something or picking up a nail, at least you would know at the time it happened. If the tire was a leaking down, it would allow you to stop and change it without possibly ruining a $100 tire. I never plug a tire on my rig, with the pressures they run under it is a blowout waiting to happen.

bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-09-28 2:02 PM (#49302 - in reply to #49295)

Regular

Well, I went and read all about this product.  I would love to own it.  In the past year I have had to buy 6 new Michelin tires for my truck due to flats and not having the foresight to buy from a store that offered a road hazard plan but rather from a tire salesman friend who gave me a really good deal.  Although none of the flats let me stranded or in an accident, I am very aware that they could have were I not so careful about checking my tires regularly.  I wish I had spent $600 on this system instead of over $1000 on tires.  Maybe next year.

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-29 6:22 AM (#49319 - in reply to #49295)

Elite Veteran

I don't  see a price?  I am going to call today though.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-29 7:50 AM (#49330 - in reply to #49295)

Expert

It can also happen on the rear of a DRW truck.
If you're not loaded to near capacity a flat or low pressure tire can go undetected for a long time, e.g. an inner tire that shows unusual wear just MIGHT BE running at a very low pressure. You SHOULD feel a bit of a pull to one side, just don't assume it is due to an uneven load or side winds.

A lower cost solution is the pressure caps that pop in/out and/or change color at a pressure threshold, generally available in 5 psi increments. They're not as immediate as the wireless devices, so in the worst case you COULD go your full water-stop interval with a low pressure or flat tire.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-29 7:56 AM (#49332 - in reply to #49295)

Elite Veteran

That's a good point, I've had inside duals go flat and vibrate enough to loosen the lug nuts and then you know what happens next. I've got Pressure Pro on the "Hart Horse Trailer Safety and Tech Tour" so folks can come see it work.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-30 6:51 PM (#49448 - in reply to #49295)

Expert

So far it seems that everyone who has responded to this thread has had tires fail quite seriously, but been quite unaware of it until the next stop.

Hmmmmm,

Wonderin' what the value of this is if I can just kick the tires every 3 hours and change the one that is shredded ?

Prices ? $250 and up.
There are some low end units for about $200 PLUS $50 per tire sensor.
$600 minimum to protect a $100 tire once every 5 or 10 years ?
Not clear that you get to save the tire anyway, if it is leaking I'm probably not going to plug it anyway.

Undecided.
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-30 9:10 PM (#49452 - in reply to #49295)

Veteran

I have used the Doran (Pressure Pro) system. It has worked outstanding and I highly recommend it. www.doranmfg.com Cost is about $400 and I just switch the monitors from trailer to trailer.

Edited by captclank 2006-09-30 9:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)