'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
FDR State Park in Georgia

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-25 5:21 AM
9 replies, 4034 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mwill
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-21 5:52 PM (#48908)
Subject: FDR State Park in Georgia

Anyone ever go to this area in Pine Mountain, GA? I'm going with a group the first week of October and wondered what it's like. We're staying in some cabins that sound pretty rustic and spare. But that's okay. It's the riding I'm looking forward to. Any info on their trails will be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cabinetdude
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-14 6:18 AM (#50090 - in reply to #48908)
Subject: RE: FDR State Park in Georgia

I've just joined this forum and saw this post. I live in sw Georgia and would like your input on FDR when you get back.

I camped there a few years ago but did not take horses.

Malcolm

Mwill
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-10-14 6:56 PM (#50100 - in reply to #48908)

Hi, Malcolm. We had a great time at FDR park. There were about 20 of us and we rented the barn up the road. Jeff and Lisa were very nice and helpful. The riding was more strenuous than we are used to, however all but one horse handled it without lameness. The rocks were the worst thing. I had been forewarned but only shod on front. If I went again, I would definitely do all around. The trails were not well marked. Luckily some of the people in the group have been there many times so knew the way. The overlook trail was the most challenging but gave the best reward. Beautiful view up top! Being from NW Florida where it's pretty flat and sandy, we were all proud of our horses and ourselves. We stayed in cabins in the park, about 2 miles from the barn. They were fine but I actually ended up sleeping in my trailer. We shared a cabin with another couple and the beds had plastic covering. I thought I was waking the whole camp everytime I moved so no sleep for me! Until I got wise, that is.

Have you ever been to Coldwater Creek in Blackwater Nat'l Forest in North Florida? That's about 45 minutes from my home and we love it there. Nice trails, great camping facility.

Happy trails!
cabinetdude
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-15 7:10 AM (#50106 - in reply to #50100)

Thanks for the info on FDR.

Also, I've never heard of Blackwater before. We will have to check it out sometimes real soon. I live in sw Georgia so it should not be too much of a drive. What are the facilities like there?

Malcolm

Mwill
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-10-18 10:46 AM (#50258 - in reply to #48908)

It shouldn't be too long a drive for you, I think. No cabins. Very nice campsites for primitive or RV with water and electric. They have very nice facilities for the horses too. Your choice of barn, covered stalls, or open stalls. Well marked trails. They are easy trails though. Not much challenge to them. There is a nice creek that runs next to the campground. We used to be able to take the horses in but someone complained so...not allowed anymore but it's nice to sit a chair in with a cold beer and a can of boiled peanuts. That's my husband's favorite thing there during the heat of the day. I can give you their number if you like. Definitely would want to call ahead. Sometimes it gets full, especially for any holiday weekend.

Margaret

cabinetdude
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-19 7:46 PM (#50343 - in reply to #50258)

A phone number would be great. Thanks.

Right now they are harvesting peanuts around here so we had some great boiled p-nuts our selves! Much better than them Garden Patch canned nuts.

Malcolm

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-19 7:58 PM (#50345 - in reply to #48908)

Extreme Veteran

Cabinetdude, do you live near Donaldsonville, Ga.?  I lived their for about 6 years when I was young.
cabinetdude
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-19 8:04 PM (#50346 - in reply to #48908)

I'm quessing Donaldsonville is about 1 1/2 hours south of us. It seems we pass through there on our way to the Redneck Riviera (Panama City Beach Florida).

Malcolm

Mwill
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-10-24 9:01 PM (#50560 - in reply to #48908)

Hey, Malcolm. Here's their number

850-957-6161

Let me know if you give them a try. Have fun!
cabinetdude
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 5:21 AM (#50569 - in reply to #48908)

Thanks for the number. I'll give them a call this week and get some more info.

Malcolm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)