'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
how to modify horse trailer to haul horse with small pony

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-12 2:16 PM
2 replies, 3531 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

marianny
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 12:02 AM (#48361)
Subject: how to modify horse trailer to haul horse with small pony

New User

I own a CM Odyssey trailer 2 h str.load, no tack compartment, 2 escape doors. I am trying to figure a safe way to modify to haul my granddaughter's 10.2hh pony with my 15.1hh mare. The divider, butt bar, and chest bar are all too high for safe hauling of the little pony mare. I am looking for modification ideas that are do-able but not junky looking like gates or plywood pieces.(trailer is fairly new). Any ideas??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-12 6:12 AM (#48364 - in reply to #48361)
Subject: RE: how to modify horse trailer to haul horse with small pony

Expert

Originally written by marianny on 2006-09-12 12:02 AM

I own a CM Odyssey trailer 2 h str.load, no tack compartment, 2 escape doors. I am trying to figure a safe way to modify to haul my granddaughter's 10.2hh pony with my 15.1hh mare. The divider, butt bar, and chest bar are all too high for safe hauling of the little pony mare. I am looking for modification ideas that are do-able but not junky looking like gates or plywood pieces.(trailer is fairly new). Any ideas??

For butt and chest bars I have used chain encased in plastic hose, probably 5/16 though I don't remember, certainly not 3/8. This works in my trailer that has pins to secure the bars, with snap clips it also works in the trailer that has loops.
I don't have an exact formula, but it is fairly simple to select a link that gives the right amount of droop, anything from a couple of inches to maybe eight inches. Obviously there is a limit to how low you should go with this and still be safe if the pony or small horse will try to scramble over or under it. I havn't needed to drop the divider, I'd guess a 2 x 8 or 12 could be added below the existing panel and not look TOO shabby.

I havn't solved the stall length question, it hasn't been important enough to me (yet).

Brenderup has an interesting butt bar arrangement, check one out sometime it might be something you could get ideas from - but not copy (-:

Edited by Reg 2006-09-12 6:45 AM
sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-12 2:16 PM (#48398 - in reply to #48361)
Subject: RE: how to modify horse trailer to haul horse with small pony

Regular

Could you find the neighborhood welding shop and have them fabricate something for you?  I'm thinking they could help you design something that could  simply remove by pulling out pins, or even weld little loops closer to the floor lower that  you could attach the butt chain to and lower the chest bar.  Or you could get as complicated as a simple gate that just pins in behind the pony.  Many of the welders I've known are very creative guys and can come up with just about anything you could imagine...

Edited by sskinner 2006-09-12 2:18 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)