'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Suspension

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-03 4:27 PM
7 replies, 2760 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowboync
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-02 6:51 AM (#47737)
Subject: Trailer Suspension

I have purchased my first LQ trailer with rear tack and all of my tack was on the floor when I arrived at the campsite. What can be done to the suspension to provide a softer ride so my tack stays in place?

Thanks for your suggestions!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-02 7:49 AM (#47739 - in reply to #47737)
Subject: RE: Trailer Suspension

Expert

Originally written by cowboync on 2006-09-02 6:51 AM

I have purchased my first LQ trailer with rear tack and all of my tack was on the floor when I arrived at the campsite. What can be done to the suspension to provide a softer ride so my tack stays in place?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Without knowing anything about your particular trailer it is difficult to make helpful suggestions; i.e. what type of suspension it has, if it is new, used but in good mechanical shape, old with springs and shocks that are just shot. With torque-flex axles there are usually no separate shocks, with leaf springs and air ride there might be shocks.

Something that I've found at least keeps saddles on the racks is shelf liner, the grippy perforated rubber mat.
Other than that, just driving slowly across the rough ground (also for the horses' comfort).
I know some folk keep their stuff in trunks, bungie cord saddles to racks, have "keepers" on their bridle hooks, etc.

Edited by Reg 2006-09-02 8:01 AM
cowboync
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-02 7:58 AM (#47740 - in reply to #47737)

Thanks for welcome to the forum.

It is a used 2004 4 Star 3 horse slant. I do not know what type of suspension it currently has. Probably just what is standard. What is available to assist? I have no idea where to begin.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-02 8:13 AM (#47742 - in reply to #47740)

Expert

Nice choice (-:
It is likely to have torque-flex axles, I think that shocks aren't normally used with these axles. A possibility is that the previous owner (or dealer) put the tire pressure up to "rock hard", or too hard for the load you're carrying. I'd also check that the tires are original size, it is possible that someone upsized the tires AND put too much air in them. The location of the tack is out behind the trailer's axles where it gets more movement than any other part of the trailer when you go over rough ground (cantilevered), nothing you can do about that - other than know it will happen.
I'd guess it is too young to be suffering wear-out of any suspension parts.
cowboync
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-02 8:45 AM (#47744 - in reply to #47742)

Reg,

Thanks for the information.

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-02 9:46 PM (#47771 - in reply to #47737)

Veteran

cowboync,

I'm not familiar with the saddle racks on the 4-stars but have noticed pictures of some of the later model trailers that are going with what appears to be plastic racks.     also appear to be very slick. I believe that was said in some previous postings concerning the same subject.Both of our trailers  (older models) have had a thin carpet-like material on the racks and we've never had any trouble with the saddles sliding off, at least ti'll this past thursday night in which one of them was turned completly on its side after a 15 mile trip(go figure!) I know this don't solve your original question about the trailer ride but it might give you an idea as to how to keep the saddles on the rack. Maybe some velcro applied to the rack that would grip the botom of your saddles?hth,

Ardly

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-02 9:57 PM (#47773 - in reply to #47737)

Expert

Originally written by cowboync on 2006-09-02 5:51 AM

The ride will depend on your load.  If you have a 3 horse trailer with only a pony aboard. That trailer will bounce.  A full load will settle the suspension for a glide ride.  Alternately... use a bungie cord over the saddles.  I do.

Edited by hosspuller 2006-09-02 9:59 PM
cowboync
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-03 4:27 PM (#47793 - in reply to #47737)

Thanks for everyones assistance.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World