'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ trailer accessories

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-11 1:40 PM
18 replies, 6307 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-29 8:28 PM (#47600)
Subject: LQ trailer accessories

Elite Veteran

Just bought my first LQ trailer and am getting the LQ part set up.  I do need to buy a comforter that matches the burgundy interior, so was hoping for suggestions for online retailers with western-themed housewares (especially bedding). 

But along that same line, those of you with LQ trailers, do you have any "must have" accessories that I should know about while I am getting set up?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-08-30 4:58 AM (#47615 - in reply to #47600)
Subject: RE: LQ trailer accessories

Elite Veteran

http://www.westernbedding.com/

http://www.lonestarwesterndecor.com/westernbedding1.html

Just do a search on google for western bedding and there is alot out there.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-30 7:55 AM (#47620 - in reply to #47600)

Elite Veteran

Believe it or not, sportsmansguide.com. They carry camping and army surplus type items and carry bedding, shoes, a little of everything. Have seen some western themed bedspreads in there. Also, "Back in the Saddle" catalog$$$, LL Bean maybe.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-30 8:12 AM (#47622 - in reply to #47600)

Elite Veteran

I camp with a friend that has a LQ and she has a small table top oven that we bake cakes and kinds of other goodies in that just don't cook as well in a microwave.

A small rotating fan over the bed area is also nice as we like to keep the windows open at night unless its too hot and muggy and need the AC. 

How extensive is your LQ?  That will help us know what to suggest.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-30 9:17 AM (#47624 - in reply to #47600)
Subject: RE: accessories for LQ

Elite Veteran

Its a pretty basic 8' LQ, so not alot of storage/cabinet space.  But since this is "my" space, this is my chance to decorate in a western theme.  The sofa and valances are burgundy with a horse tapestry trim.  Unfortunately the previous owner didn't keep the matching comforter for the bed so that is what I am shopping for first.  Will also be keeping a set of towels (horse themed if I can find some I like), and am looking for a set of travel wine glasses (plastic) also hopefully horse or western themed.  I won't put a full set of dishes in, will just use paper plates and will drink bottled water so no glasses either.  I have a horse coffee mug for my morning tea.  Mainly was hoping to get space saving/storage ideas, or gadgets (like the portable oven idea) that people have learned over the years.

Thanks!

clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-08-30 10:29 AM (#47632 - in reply to #47600)

Regular

I purchased my LQ in January, so I've been doing the same thing you are. For the bed spread, I went with a burgundy comforter backed by sheep skin. The sheep skin makes a box pattern on the top of the conforter as well. I've added some of those tapestry pillows to the bed for visual effect. (This way if I get tired of the pillows, very easy to change) As for storage, my trailer has lots of cabinets with two shelves. I need drawers, so it was off to wally world I purchased several of those plastic stackable drawers and put them inside the cabinets. I do have a problem with them coming open while traveling, so I'm working on solving that issue. As for glasses, you can find tumblers in plastic with horses on them, but I've only found wine glasses in "glass" with horse etching. I opted for the clear acrylic wine goblets from wally world. I did spend some $ on forks and knives with western theme. Found them at Rod's Western Palace www.rods.com I use paper plates for dinner ware, but opted for the western themed charger plate to hold the paper plates and western themed bowls for table service. I always like to have peanuts in the shell on the table and they look great in a ceramic bowl. I"m looking to upgrade the hardware in my LQ if anyone knows of a source for western cabinet knobs with 3" centers (The cool ones available today have 4" centers and I don't want to drill new holes in my nice oak cabinets!)As to the outside, I recommend you purchase a couple of those metal tiki torches. They are perfect to put near your awing to keep the bugs away while you relax. I purchased a medium sized round fold up table and two chairs to go under the awing and I use a piece of western cloth to cover the table. I also purchased a 9x12 matt to go under the awing, keeps from tracking in so much dirt! Best of luck to you. When you get time, post some photos to let us know what you've done!c
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-30 11:04 AM (#47635 - in reply to #47600)

Regular

Yep, Rods.com has beautiful western themed accessories and lots of bedding to choose from.  They are a little pricey though.  Campingworld.com also has lots of useful things.  They have the patty-o-mats that go under your awning as well as matching mats to go inside the LQ.  They also have lots of appliances and houseware type items.  I bought a 5' fold up table at Walmart for $40.  I use it under the awning to prepare food for the grill and eat on.  Since it folds up, it fits in my rear tack and doesn't take up space up front.  I also bought an inexpensive tabletop grill that I use to cook when I go camping.  I've also found I can never have enough buckets - watering horses, feeding horses, little buckets to haul water back from a central trough for watering, etc.  An outside trash can is also convenient to have.  I love to read about everyone else's tips, always something new!
clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-08-30 11:21 AM (#47637 - in reply to #47600)

Regular

Hi Bonniejf, I too found Rod's to be a bit on the expensive side. If you go to any trade shows in your area, you will sometimes find the same thing at a reduce rate. Rod's occassionally has sales and sometimes you can search for the same items on the internet to get a better deal. If it is too expensive, put it on the Christmas list and hope for the best! I forgot to mention earlier, I didn't want to put holes in my walls to hang things, so I found hooks made by 3-M. You can put them up anywhere and when you want to remove them, you just pull on the bottom of the strip and they come off without leaving any marks. I've used them on the inside of my cabinets to hang spatulas, brushes, towels ect. I've also used them to hang pictures with the addition of velcro, the pics will never move during travel. They are great. I recently purchased a plastic basket with suction cups to hang in the mid tack area to old various items too. c
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-30 11:21 AM (#47638 - in reply to #47600)

Veteran

The fold up table is great. I have one and it is so easy to travel with. I got mine at Camping World. I have a metal trash can and I put my rug that goes under the awning in it when I am traveling and then just get it out and use it for trash. It keeps all animals out of it including my dogs. I always carry a fan for use outside under the awning. I also have one of the folding laundry baskets from BB and Beyond. The rugs from Camping World for under the awning are wonderful. They are light so they can be folded up easily and washed off. My first rug was an indoor/outdoor carpet. What a nightmare.

Do you have a walk through door into your stall area?

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-08-30 11:47 AM (#47639 - in reply to #47600)

Elite Veteran

Headhunter,

If you'll pm me, I have lots of online places to find cool stuff.

Nancy

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-08-30 12:16 PM (#47640 - in reply to #47600)

Extreme Veteran

Not the fun stuff like bedspreads and plates, but useful.

Extra fuses of every kind that your trailer & truck uses, wire strippers/crimpers, a roll of 15gage wire, wire splices,(even if you can't use them, someone else might be able to), small tool kit, small trash bags, small broom and/or a small hand vac for cleaning the floor. Extra RV toliet paper, cleaning supplies, extra black water packets things, hand flashlight, extra plug for trailer & truck side, just in case you drive off when your trailer still plugged in. Multi-meter to check and make that you got your replacement plug in right or to figure out why the running lights are not working :-) A map of how your trailer & truck plugs are wired. Extra power plug adapter for the RV power cord, 30amp extention cord, regular power cord, house slippers to keep in your trailer along w/ some sweats. I've never gotten these, but think it would be fun to have: small decorative lights to hang on the awning and of course a real confortable lawn chair (I have the chair).

Happy Shopping,
Betty
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-30 12:27 PM (#47642 - in reply to #47600)

Veteran

. Extra power plug adapter for the RV power cord, 30amp extention cord, regular power cord. Those are essential. Also water hose for trailer and barn. Shut off water valve for the end of the hose. I have one of the curly hoses and if you get a good one, it is okay for the trailer. The cheap ones are horrible. I saw a hose that is flat for storage but easy for water to get through. It was at a camp ground and I never asked the people where they purchased it and I haven't been able to find anything like it. Of course the staples for anyone, duck tape, spray oil and hay string.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-30 4:59 PM (#47651 - in reply to #47600)

Extreme Veteran

I just purchased a "Bed in a Bag" from K-mart. It came with a comforter, a complete sheet set, pillow shams and a bed skirt. I'm going to take the bedskirt and make curtains out of them and *voila* everything will match! Paid $40 for the whole shebang. Actually, my mother-in-law will be making the curtains...why oh why didn't I learn to sew?

I have come up with a cool way to hang my string of horsey lights from the awning.  At WalMart, I bought 2"x5" patches of velcro with industrial adhesive backing. Stuck the soft side to the awning, vertically.  Then bought some sew on type 1" velcro and cut the rough side into 5" strips. The lights are now easy to put up and take down and you can roll the velcro up in the awning. You don't want to use the rough side of the patches because the paper backing on the adhesive will come off and they will gooey up your awning...learned that the hard way. I tried to hang the lights with clips (they get lost) and duct tape (left goo on the awning) and everything else anyone suggested...nothing worked. I always ended up stumbling out of the trailer first thing in the morning and finding myself entangled in the lights that had fallen down overnight. Hubby trying to free me while I'm trying not to step on the little horsies.   Velcro - it works!

Sounds kinda like "Barney and Gomer Go Camping"!

RIDE ON!

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-31 7:30 AM (#47667 - in reply to #47600)

Elite Veteran

LOL - Barney and Gomer - loved that

Bungee cords work great to hold cabinets closed

I have 2 small folding tables from Walmart (aluminum) & you can get plastic ones from Target.  These are great for happy hours to set glasses, food on, etc  and can set up in the trailer for 2 to eat.

Electric frypan is also good if you have electric outlets and elec at the site or a generator

folding trash cans already mentioned, be sure to buy the larger size.

TIMEIT
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-08-31 9:20 AM (#47675 - in reply to #47600)

Don't forget an extra set of keys for the trailer and truck. nothing more embarrsing than getting to the campsite and hooking up and discover that you grabbed the wrong set of keys. Extra sewer hose and connector, and rubber gloves. Leveling boards, i use 2x6x18 and 1x6x18, not all campsites are level. Need awning tie downs, i use the screw in dog hooks and a 1 inch wide by 8 ft. ratchet strap to hold my awning in place from high wind. Extra rubber gaskets for the hose pipes. you will think of thinks as you go along, everyones camping style is different, do what suits you.  g.cole
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-08-31 9:52 AM (#47678 - in reply to #47600)

Veteran

Can find alot nice camping asscerories at Hunting stores Cabelles etc.We take spare eletric cord, water hose an water for cooking.Oh also I love shoppping on Ebay you'll find anything and everything.I found Camping diary and Trail Riding at Gander Mountain really great to keep info in for $19.Happy Trails.Also take along few candles for light,mood or take away campfire smoky smell.
TIMEIT
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-09-08 7:55 AM (#48109 - in reply to #47639)

Edited by TIMEIT 2006-09-08 8:00 AM
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 9:41 AM (#48115 - in reply to #47600)

Elite Veteran

I also carry a portable BBQ grill,about $15 works off a small bottle of propane and last for ever.Good for steaks,weiners,etc and takes up little space.I have a small one burner stove for use as well if I don't want to smell up the trailer or it is too warm inside to cook.
afkatrina
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 1:40 PM (#48315 - in reply to #47600)

Professonal Choice has a nice collapsible trash can - http://www.profchoice.com/htmldocs/prd/horseman/prd/ha10x.html

First aid kit for humans & one for horses.  Bug spray & sunscreen!

Brenda

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)