'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fans in horse compartment

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-28 8:02 PM
8 replies, 4503 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TrishLLC
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-08-26 12:25 PM (#47449)
Subject: Fans in horse compartment

Hey all,

I'm thinking of adding fans to our Hart 4H GN to keep the horses cooler on really hot days (especially when the trailer is not moving).  The two things I've thought of are 1) replacing the vents over each horse with fans or 2) putting small fans on the butt side ceiling pointing down toward the horses.  I havent' seen either of these done, and don't know where to get the parts, so if anyone has any ideas on these ideas, or an idea of their own on how to keep the horses cooler, I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks folks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-26 1:29 PM (#47451 - in reply to #47449)
Subject: RE: Fans in horse compartment

Elite Veteran

You can buy 12 volt fans like are used in trucks,semis,at NAPA or truck parts sales.Some are 2 speed some are hi speed.yoy can wire them in with a switch and turn them off when not in use.depending on the trailer you can get 12 volts off your inside lights.some are on a swivil so you can turn them.You can also check out a School Bus sales parts dept. as they use them .
Have fun.
farmboy
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-26 2:44 PM (#47452 - in reply to #47449)

Regular

I've seen fans on the butt side before  just mount and wire them in is all there is
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-08-27 5:03 AM (#47470 - in reply to #47449)

Expert

My 4 Star came with them they are the type you would see in a bus(chrome), and the switch is outside with the switches for the lights. They are mounted on the but side. I have had the trailer for 2 years and never had them turned on except to show the occasional looker that they work. I bought the trailer as a shell and they were in it, I didn't really want them but the trailer was in stock.
S Farmer
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-27 9:05 AM (#47473 - in reply to #47449)

I put those crome semi style fans in our trailer they have high low and off switch on the base, and they also swivel They have three mounting holes on the base and I mounted them with self tapping metal screws I got mine at the Petro Truck Stop cost $19.00 I mounted them in the horse area and also put one in the dressing room
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-08-28 1:41 PM (#47520 - in reply to #47473)

Extreme Veteran

Look on Ebay as well. I bought 2 from there fairly inexpensively. I just haven't put them in our Hart yet although I shouldv'e before summer started.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-08-28 3:40 PM (#47527 - in reply to #47449)

Elite Veteran

had fans installed in both trailers I've owned and use them everytime I trailer unless it's cold outside.

I trailered yesterday and they were on and my horse comes out nice and cool.  I also have 4 roof vents and open all the windows wide as it's rather hot and humid in South Fla. I've had the same fans in the trailer since I bought it in the fall of '96 and they both still work.  I have a switch in the DR to turn them on just like the inside lights.

TrishLLC
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-08-28 7:26 PM (#47535 - in reply to #47449)

Thanks all!  I've decided to go ahead and put the fans in, one for each horse, with a 3 way switch - on, off and controlled by one of the auxilliary switches in the truck.  That way they can run off the truck or the trailer battery, depending on the situation, and I can turn them on and off from the truck if needed.

For those of you who have put the fans in the dressing room, how is that working out?  My husband wants A/C in there, and I did find a small A/C that will run off our Honda 2000 generator, but I was thinking about trying the fans first, as I'm not sure he would use the A/C as much as he thinks, and fans are way cheaper :-)

S Farmer
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-28 8:02 PM (#47539 - in reply to #47449)

Trish I mounted the fan on the wall right where the gooseneck is then we can swivel it to blow air on you while we are laying on the gooseneck or turn it to blow down into the dressing area. We open the roof vent and the side windows and the window in the door and it seems to move the air pretty well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)