'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping and trails

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-21 9:17 AM
7 replies, 3705 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailblazer
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 4:36 PM (#43274)
Subject: Camping and trails

We will be going to High Knob camping over the July 4th week (arriving Sunday 7/2).  Are there any concerns regarding camping this time of year in southern IL (bugs, snakes, etc.).  High Knob does not take reservations and they assure us that there will be room for us when we get there.   Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 5:17 PM (#43281 - in reply to #43274)
Subject: RE: Camping and trails

Extreme Veteran

We camped at One Horse Gap over the Memorial weekend. The Shawnee is beautiful scenery! It was hot hot hot! You might consider starting your horses on some electrolytes. Also, there were a lot of ticks so check yourselves and your horses. Hope you have fun. Would like to hear about it when you return. 

RIDE ON!

Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-06-20 8:43 AM (#43310 - in reply to #43274)

Veteran

We very seldom see snakes. Saw a big,big black snack over Memorial week end. I think that's the first. Fly spray, horse flies and deer flies might be bad. And if you have a portable shelter type tent you might want to take that to put over your horses. Not much shade there. It will probably be really hot. Ticks have been bad this year. I usually don't find too many on the horses unless we go through high grass and you won't have much of that. Have fun, is this your first trip to Shawnee? You'll love it, best place to ride. If the heat is really high, worde of caution don't ride your horse to hard. You might get back to camp and have a colicky horse. Happened over Memorial, the guy walked and walked and walked. Take banimine with you just in case.
Happy Safe Trails
Shari
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-20 9:26 AM (#43317 - in reply to #43310)

Extreme Veteran

Bounce Sheets!! Don't know if ya'll have tried them but they work on flies. We tie them to the bridles and it keeps the flies off and you smell good too! Not sure if they work on mosquitoes tho.
appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-06-20 4:19 PM (#43355 - in reply to #43274)

Veteran

We just got back a couple days ago. I think Shari camped at Hayes Canyon too?? I saw a huge black snake too!! I don't think he was dangerous, but I wasn't taking any chances! Some locals told me that I had to really be careful though, they do have poisinous snakes there! Copperheads and timber rattlers. I did see a baby (I do mean baby) copperhead, he didn't worry me, but where was his momma??? Ticks: I have also heard that bounce works for bugs, not sure about ticks. I had a couple, but nothing serious. A deer tick (they carry the lyme disease) has to be attached to your body for 24 hours to give you lyme disease, so check yourself good every day!!! HAVE FUN! I didn't ride from High Knob, but everyone says the trails are awesome there. Personally, I think anywhere in Shawnee is awesome, but it's nice to know that your going to a good place. Diane
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-06-21 7:39 AM (#43371 - in reply to #43274)

Extreme Veteran

I've used the bounce sheets and it does seem to work. On myself, I use Skin So Soft bath oil. Use it stright, just pour it on a washrag and wipe arms, legs, neck and waist. I used it over mem. wknd. and was only one in my group to not get any ticks! But it has to be the BATH OIL, the lotions and sprays are not as effective. Contact your local Avon rep. I think it runs about $15. After about 10 minutes it does not even feel oily on your skin.

RIDE ON! 

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-06-21 8:21 AM (#43374 - in reply to #43274)

Veteran

I made up a mixture of Skin So soft, Cyclomethline (dry body spray), and some Citronella Fragrance oil. It was mostly cyclo and skin so soft. My horses didn't have any flies while in camp, and I didn't have any ticks on them either (just one on me!). I was just careful not to spray it on their backs, because the cyclo is slippery! It's used to add shine in hair products (I use it daily).
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-06-21 9:17 AM (#43378 - in reply to #43274)

Extreme Veteran

I'm going to have to try that Skin so soft oil.  My biggest problem with bugs is "nats".  They love the heck out of me more than my horse!  I get huge welts all along my forehead from them and they itch like crazy.  I'm wonder why on my forehead only.  It's very annoying when I'm riding.

Where is that "perfect" world?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)