'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse moves all the time in trailer - help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-23 3:59 PM
4 replies, 3016 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Will
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-22 7:36 PM (#42112)
Subject: horse moves all the time in trailer - help

I have a 8yr old gelding who moves in the trailer all the time and then kicks lightly once in a while. I have tryed with dividers and without. No difference. He doesn't do anything bad,except the kick, a real pain when driving, because he'll move the truck and trailer back and fourth. This is a 3 horse slant load trailer. Any suggestions to relax him? It's getting worst. Thanks in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-22 10:45 PM (#42133 - in reply to #42112)
Subject: RE: horse moves all the time in trailer - help

Try a gooseneck stock type horsetrailer (with a cut gate it will work like 2 box stalls) and leave him untied.  Also check for insect nests under/in the trailer;  he may be trying to communicate a problem.  Good luck.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-22 10:57 PM (#42138 - in reply to #42112)

I forgot to mention that with jumpy, nervouse type horses, we feed vitamin B1;  the tablets from the local discount store.  Start with about 1000mg per day and you should see something in about 10 days if it is going to help.  We also use it on new horses to help them settle into the routine.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-23 3:47 PM (#42167 - in reply to #42112)

Elite Veteran

I HAD AN ARABIAN THAT DID THAT...IN MY NEW SLANT LOAD.SEEMS SHE HAD RODE IN A 2 HORSE STRAIGHT LOAD ALL HER LIFE AND IN THE SLANT SHE COULDN'T FIND THE BUTT BAR WITH HER BUTT SO SHE WAS BOUNCING UP WITH HER HINDQUARTERS TRYING TO FIND IT.

I MOVED HER TO A MIDDLE STALL AND LEFT HER UNTIED. SHE PUSHED HER BUT UP AGAINST THE BACK WALL AND RODE GREAT.THE FRONT STALL ALSO HAD THE CORNER IN IT AND HER FOOT MUST HAVE BEEN TOUCHING IT CAUSE SHE WAS KICKIN AT IT.

I HAVE ALSO LEFT HORSES STAND IN THE TRAILER FOR A WHILE SO THEY GET USED TO THE SOUNDS AND FEEL OF THE TRAILER. THEN TAKE THEM OUT AFTER THEY STAND QUIET FOR A TIME.

NEVER TAKE ONE OUT RIGHT AWAY IF THEY ARE THROWING A FIT OR THAT JUST TRAINS THEM HOW TO ACT IF THEY WANT OUT.REWARD FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR NOT BAD.

WHEN I AM GOING SOMEWERE I LOAD THE HORSES AND LET THEM STAND FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES AND GET RELAXED.THEN DRIVE EASY FOR A COUPLE OF MILES AND STOP TO CHECK THEM OUT.IF ALL IS OK THEN I GET ON DOWN THE ROAD.WHEN I GET TO WHERE I'M GOING I LET THEM STAND A WHILE BEFORE TAKING THEM OUT SO THEY DON'T LEARN TO GET ALL BOUNCY AND ANTICIPATE GETTING OUT AS SOON AS I STOP.

JUST MY WAY OF DOIN IT.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-05-23 3:59 PM (#42169 - in reply to #42112)

Elite Veteran

Hey.. I think if you will hang some hay in front of the horse and put shavings in the floor it could help. good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)