'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying my 1st trailer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-17 6:53 PM
16 replies, 3779 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

liz
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-15 3:21 PM (#41748)
Subject: Buying my 1st trailer.

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and site. I want to buy my first trailer but am a bit overwhelmed on which trailer to get. I have $5000.00 and like the slant, 2-horse, BP, with a tack room and maybe drop down feeded windows. Is there any brands I should steer clear of and any you guys reccomend? I live in So. Cal. (Riverside County) How about any dealers? I'm getting a flashback of buying my 1st car and being scared of being ripped-off.  I would be greatful of any info you guys can give me.   Thanks in advance.   Liz 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laura
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-15 3:41 PM (#41750 - in reply to #41748)
Subject: RE: Buying my 1st trailer.

laura
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-15 3:46 PM (#41751 - in reply to #41748)

it is very possible to get a good quality trailer in your price range make sure any one you look at has a sound floor and don't forget to look at the frame for anything that may indicate breakdown.  as far as brands my beleif sundowner 4star jamco are great trailers there are alot of well made trailers out there just remember dont always look at the price you want your horse to be comfortable and SAFE
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-15 6:20 PM (#41757 - in reply to #41748)

Expert

You could always ask around and see what people have and if they are pleased. By and large most trailer brands are good trailers. Some will have more perks and nifty thingies than others depending on how much you want to spend. Go and look around see whats out there in your price range.
kentuckydiesel
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-15 11:31 PM (#41762 - in reply to #41748)

I hope you won't be offended, but if you are only getting a two horse, you would be much better off with a straight load.  You're horses will thank you.

-phillip

milliecat
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 6:05 AM (#41765 - in reply to #41748)

Good luck in your search!  You might try doing a search on this site for "new trailer" or "first trailer".  I did exactly what you are doing... came to this site and asked a lot of questions.  I ended up with a great first trailer!
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-16 7:28 AM (#41771 - in reply to #41748)

Veteran

I agree with kentucydiseal. I would go with a straight load. Not only for the horses but for you. It's much safer when you don't have to get in the trailer with the horse,just throw the lead rope around their neck and send them up in there. Also, if you have the right vehicle, a gooseneck is a much safer and comfortable ride for you and your horse.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-16 10:47 AM (#41784 - in reply to #41771)

Expert

TOTALLY disagree with the slants are evil thing! I've owned both and I have NEVER had a hauling issue with a slant but I have had them with the straights. What is so hard about leading a horse into a horse into an open stall, hooking them to the wall and closing the divider and walking out? And if your horses send into a straight, why can't you sen them into the last stall of a slant? If you like straights, fine, but don't condemn slants if you don't know how to used them.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 11:43 AM (#41786 - in reply to #41748)

Expert

I agree with hav2ride on this one. Except I won't be hooking them to the wall. I think slant loads are much more user freindly. You say all you have to do is throw the lead around there neck, if he's that broke I won't have any problem putting him in a slant. The wild ones are much easier to load in a slant. They get in there with lots of room then you close them in with the divider. I have fought alot of other folks horses trying to get them in a straight load, usually at night after the roping a dozen tired guys trying to load 1 ole' horse in the back of a BP.
liz
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-16 12:49 PM (#41793 - in reply to #41765)

Hi Milliecat,  I noticed there was no search button too and saw your post about it missing. Hopefully it will be back soon.  Liz
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-16 4:07 PM (#41803 - in reply to #41748)

Veteran

I have a 25 year old barrell horse that has been around the world and back. One day after relocating him from just down the road I went into the trailer to get him and he freaked for No apparent reason, rared up and came down on my leg knocking me to the floor of the trailer where i was stuck for almost 30 mins I had to roll out the back door passed the horse and crawl to help because my leg wouldn't hold me. I never said that slants were evil. I just think that if ya don't have to get in the trailer with them ya shouldn't. By the way I have to have a 3 horse now and I have no choice but to buy a slant, but if it were my first trailer I would Perfer a Straight load.
Concrete
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 5:19 PM (#41804 - in reply to #41784)

Originally written by hav2ride on 2006-05-16 10:47 AM

TOTALLY disagree with the slants are evil thing! I've owned both and I have NEVER had a hauling issue with a slant but I have had them with the straights. What is so hard about leading a horse into a horse into an open stall, hooking them to the wall and closing the divider and walking out? And if your horses send into a straight, why can't you sen them into the last stall of a slant? If you like straights, fine, but don't condemn slants if you don't know how to used them.

Yep, that's about what I think.

kentuckydiesel
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-17 10:31 AM (#41828 - in reply to #41748)

I don't think a slant load trailer is a good substitute for proper training and patience with your horse.

Furthermore, why do you think commercial horse haulers use straight load trailers, usually head-to-head???????

My horse has ridden in all sorts of trailers, but I always kept him out of the less than 7'6" inside width slants because they aren't comfortable for horses.  One day, we were going for a short trip (5-10 min) so I let a friend haul him in their standard width slant (most are about 7'-7'3" inside).  They drove fine, but when we got to the other farm, my horse was already looking tired from bowing his neck to stand in the slant stall. 

He blew out of that trailer so hard, we were lucky neither of us got hurt.

After that, he wouldn't load again.

I had to do a lot of work to get him back in a trailer of any kind over the next week.  That's my last time letting my horse in a less than full legal width slant load trailer.

As a general rule, if the trailer has fenders on the outside, it is too narrow to be a slant load.  There should only be a 1"-2" lip covering the wheels on a proper slant load trailer.  Even then, slants are stil not the best idea.

-phillip 

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-05-17 10:40 AM (#41829 - in reply to #41748)

Extreme Veteran

I had a two horse straight load Miley for years, got rid of it, started hauling in a gooseneck stock, and now have a 2h slant gooseneck. I had major horse issues with my straight load, none with the stock and none with the slant. If I haul just my cow pony, the divider is swung to the side and hooked up and she loads fine, jumps right in. I don't tie Josie, she is used to being left loose and hauls fine, but maybe I'm blessed with a good towing horse.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-17 2:52 PM (#41839 - in reply to #41748)

Expert

The commerical hauler I hired used a slant load 8 horse trailer....

cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-05-17 5:02 PM (#41848 - in reply to #41748)

Veteran

My advice before buying a first trailer is rent or borrow a few different ones to try to see what you and your horse are comfortable with.  Then you will know what sort of doors and loading arrangement you like best and what does best with your rig.  I have a 2H straight load with a ramp because that is what the other members of my family have and so my horses are used to it and all our towing vehicles can pull each other's trailers if need be (which is why I didn't get a gooseneck).  Try the doors and latches at a dealer to see if you like them.  Take your saddle and test to see if you like how it goes in the tack area. 

As far as the slant vs. straight load part of that is quality in either case.  A cramped rattle-trap can be found in either configuration.  For myself, I have seen too many horses turn and come leaping out at their handlers from a slant load.  And if the last horse won't unload, the others are stuck. 

liz
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-17 6:53 PM (#41853 - in reply to #41748)

Thanks everyone for replying.  I posted a new post saying "I did it" Please check it out and tell me what you think!!  Liz
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)