'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need advice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-06 5:56 AM
2 replies, 2731 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-04-05 5:23 AM (#39980)
Subject: Need advice

Elite Veteran

A lady here has a paint stud and wants to have some one take care of him. She had an accident and can't take care of him for now. She is trying to find some one to take over his care until she is back on her feet. This includes full use of him.  What would I need to do to protect myself. I would possibly like to breed him to my mare. Should I have her draw up an agreement so that I'll be able to register a foal etc. Also the possiblility of vet bills etc. Should I be a good samaritin and help her or avoid a possible problem. Any advice will be appreciated. The horse would be moved to my farm. I do have an area for a stud. I just don't want to get taken or even worst...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-05 8:15 AM (#39983 - in reply to #39980)
Subject: RE: Need advice

Extreme Veteran

Stallions are very very very unpredictable.  I would ensure that you work with her to get to know "his" routine.  If a routine is disrupted a stallion can rebel.  Never ever ever try to force a stallion, you won't win. 

As far as breeding, ensure she has dna paperwork on him, as that is required by APHA, get a breeding contract with a live foal guarantee.  This means if your mare doesn't take you can have her rebred for a certain number of tries.  It also means that you will get a live standing foal out of the deal.  In Michigan a LFG means live standing foal that lives longer than 24hrs. 

Also, if you bring the stud to your place check with your insurance, most homeowners policies do not cover equine liablity, especially stallions.  Even if you do not plan on breeding to outside mares, you want equine liability insurance on him, even if it is temporary.  If you don't get it, then someone will happen, you can bet your bottom dollar! Farm Bureau insurance has policies and you can get them month to month.  They have liability to mortality.  Talk to your agent, you may even want coverage if you are caring for studly on his own property.  Also, check with her to ensure she has adequate insurance.

Before breeding your mare make sure she has a clean culture and neg. coggins. 

Hope this helps.  Also, when you breed, have someone there to help you.  If you are unfamiliar with breeding/handling a stallion, ensure someone who knows what they are doing assists you.  Breeding is the most dangerous part of handling a stallion.  

Good luck and stay safe!

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-04-06 5:56 AM (#40015 - in reply to #39980)
Subject: RE: Need advice

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the advice. Yes I have dealt with studs before, so I know what they can do and what can happen. I'm still undecided on this. I will probably talk to the lady this weekend and possibly meet the stud. The things you mentioned about ins. I knew, I really didn't know about the dna etc. I have never bred any of my own horses so this is all new to me, Thanks again I will let ya know......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)