'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
First Job

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-18 2:08 PM
8 replies, 3580 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-26 10:55 AM (#39534)
Subject: First Job

Hey i got my first job at a Arabian farm anything i should know? im kinda excited!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-03-28 10:54 AM (#39650 - in reply to #39534)
Subject: RE: First Job

Extreme Veteran

Show up on time
Call in advance if you can't make it
Do more than your asked to do
Never talk back
Ask if you don't know
You never know more than the owner
Pay attention to the small details
Clean up after everyone else
Make yourself invaluable, by being a hard worker
Always say please and thank-you

Good Luck,
Betty
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-28 5:18 PM (#39678 - in reply to #39534)

Anything i should know about arabians? ive heard the differ from stock type horses ive always grew up around Quarter Horses what can i expect?
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-28 9:50 PM (#39692 - in reply to #39534)

Elite Veteran

I think it depends a lot on their boarding situation. My friend pastures her Arabs with open ended stalls and runs if they need confinement. For the most part, they act just like the Qhorses.
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-04-01 9:24 AM (#39860 - in reply to #39534)

Extreme Veteran

What does your duties entail?
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-01 9:58 AM (#39866 - in reply to #39534)

Extreme Veteran

Treat them like any other horses...with utmost respect. Irregardless of breed, each horse is individual and should be treated accordingly.  The key is HARD work, great ethics such as showing up on time, having initiative, go the extra mile.  Before you get the glory work you gotta do the grunt work.  Expect to get dirty, stanky, wet, tired, but full of pride over the work you have accomplished.  With having a job it comes with responsibility.  Earn the barn owners respect and you will advance, whine, complain, and always asking when you will get to do the more advanced stuff and you can be guaranteed to be stuck mucking stalls for a good loooooooong time! 

We are interviewing stable help here, eventually they get to be promoted to hot walkers, then grooms, then they get to work up to excersise riders, then breezers.  (we have Tbreds).  Everyone wants to be breezing right away, but they have to learn about cleaning stalls, there is more to than just mucking them out.  You learn about each horses habits, you also can detect if they are off their feed, or if they are ill by how their stall looks.   How much water they drink, how much grain they eat.  Is there grain all over the stall floor?  That could mean the horse has ulcers in the mouth or may need teeth floated.    Is the poop runny or solid?  You notice these things when you much out a stall.  It  is a small step in learning the horse.  So instead of worrying about the differences between the breeds, be more concerned on what you are going to learn working at the stable!  Each day I learn something new, I have been around horses almost 40 years.   I do not consider myself an expert, just a lifelong student of horses.  Each horse is unique, and you will soon learn alot about them. 

Good luck, have fun, and wait till the end of the summer, you will look back and say wow!  Especially if you pay attention to details.

Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-04 7:44 PM (#39965 - in reply to #39534)

I take out and bring in horses, muck out stalls, feed and free exersize horses i think im really going to enjoy this job.!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-07 12:46 AM (#40061 - in reply to #39965)

Extreme Veteran

That sounds great!  Hope you have a great experience there and learn a lot.  In my opinion, Arabs are a little different in temperment than many other breeds.  I think they are more sensitive to their surroundings and very intelligent.  My quarter horses like being around people and having a job.  My arab loves being around people and having a job.   A ranch-horse trainer I used once told me  (insert cowboy drawl here)  "those dang arabs have a lot of bottom... they can go all day and be enthusiatic about it the whole time.  That's makes them fun to take and ride fences all day" - and he raised quarter horses.  But, like the previous poster mentioned, horses are like people... they each have their own personalities, likes and dislikes, regardless of breed.  Enjoy them all :)

Ms. Trailer
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-18 2:08 PM (#40634 - in reply to #40061)

Regular

Originally written by cowgirl98034 on 2006-04-07 12:46 AM

That sounds great!  Hope you have a great experience there and learn a lot.  In my opinion, Arabs are a little different in temperment than many other breeds.  I think they are more sensitive to their surroundings and very intelligent.  My quarter horses like being around people and having a job.  My arab loves being around people and having a job.   A ranch-horse trainer I used once told me  (insert cowboy drawl here)  "those dang arabs have a lot of bottom... they can go all day and be enthusiatic about it the whole time.  That's makes them fun to take and ride fences all day" - and he raised quarter horses.  But, like the previous poster mentioned, horses are like people... they each have their own personalities, likes and dislikes, regardless of breed.  Enjoy them all :)

Cowgirl, I agree with you that they have a different temperment! Granted that any horse can be quick and jumpy when spooked, I have seen a few examples where Arabians are extremely quick. They are very smart. Also, as said before: just always pay extra attention and you should be fine and learn tons!

Edited by Ms. Trailer 2006-04-18 2:09 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)