'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help with braking!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-17 12:26 PM
8 replies, 2860 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Filly1979
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-16 3:29 PM (#38914)
Subject: Help with braking!

New User

I just got a new 2 horse BP, and have only pulled a couple of times. The problem is when I apply the brake the trailer pulls hard to the right. The force is greater the harder I step on the brake. This concerns me for obvious reasons. I do have to use a converter for my electrical hookup, could this be the problem? I have turned the gain down on my brake controller and it still does it- though not as hard the lower the gain.

I am not able to brake nearly as efficiently as I would like, so any suggestions would be helpful. I don't want to come across a time where I need to brake harder than normal and fly off the road because the trailer has pulled me off course. (oh, once I release the brake, the trailer feels as though it swings back in place- so it feels like only the right brake on the trailer is engaging) Help please

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-16 3:35 PM (#38915 - in reply to #38914)
Subject: RE: Help with braking!

Extreme Veteran

I would take it to the dealer where you bought it and have them check it over....
Filly1979
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-16 3:37 PM (#38916 - in reply to #38915)

New User

I am planning on taking it in, but unfortunately I got it from a dealer that is 4 hours away and through the mountains. Of course, I was hoping for an easy suggestion, but I figure it is just not going to happen that way. I was told by the people that I may need to switch some wires in the adapter for the brakes to work right. Does anyone know if that is truly a possibity?
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-16 4:32 PM (#38918 - in reply to #38916)

Extreme Veteran

OK...I see your problem...I had the same issue with a trailer I bought out of town...I don't believe the issue is with the adapter. Usually there is one brake wire at the plug (adapter) that runs back under the trailer that splits and goes to both sides of the trailer to activate the brakes If one side is working it tells me that it isn't feeding power from the split to the other....or there is a problem with the magnets. I would crawl under the trailer...(block the wheels of course) and look for the wires coming out of the backing plates(back of the wheel) on the side you suspect isn't working and follow them to where they connect to the one from the good side. Check for any loose connections along the way. It may just be a bad connection....that would be my first step. Let us know what you find or someone else will chime in with another suggestion.
Filly1979
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-16 4:41 PM (#38921 - in reply to #38914)

New User

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely take a look under there this weekend and look to see if I can find any loose connections.

I called the maker and told them the problem, and the service guy told me that the right brake might just be tighter than the left, and I have to loosen the boot.

Does anyone know what this means or how to go about it? He said that behind the hub there is a cog that you screw in our out to tighten or loosen the brake, and this should even things out. Man, do I feel lost!

Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-16 4:51 PM (#38922 - in reply to #38914)

I seriously doubt that the adapter is the culprit as it wouldn’t direct current to only one side of the brake system. Rather it would be either on or off. However, fixing a trailer over the internet is not an easy task – especially electrical. To really narrow things down, one should have the trailer available and it’s always best to let someone who is knowledgeable do the work on your trailer.

Your problem may be as simple as adjusting the brakes (one side pulling harder) or it could be just a loose wire (one side not pulling at all).

The easiest way to determine which (the truck or trailer) is the problem is to separate them. With a helper, unhook the trailer, put a chock (wheel stop) on one side and jack the other up. Using a simple battery charger, ground it to the trailer and put a nail in the positive side charger “clamp”. With the charger on a low amperage charge, use the nail and touch the trailer connector in the brake hole (this will act like your brake controller). Try to spin the tires on the side that is jacked up. Repeat for the opposite side. If the tires will not spin when you have the brakes activated, then the problem is forward of the trailer. If the opposite is the case, the trailer is the culprit. If the needle of the charger pegs, remove it immediately - you have a short somewhere and have to start searching (this isn’t your problem, I’m sure). The same method can be used to test lights.

Good luck…

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-16 5:22 PM (#38925 - in reply to #38921)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Filly1979 on 2006-03-16 2:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely take a look under there this weekend and look to see if I can find any loose connections.

I called the maker and told them the problem, and the service guy told me that the right brake might just be tighter than the left, and I have to loosen the boot.

Does anyone know what this means or how to go about it? He said that behind the hub there is a cog that you screw in our out to tighten or loosen the brake, and this should even things out. Man, do I feel lost!

Filly.....If you feel lost don't mess with it...If you really want it fixed I would take it to an RV shop and have someone take a quick look at it. If they know what they are doing they can tell you if it is a wire issue or needs adjusting in less than 30 minutes. You still have a warrenty I assume....but if you mess it up you might have to pay to have it corrected.....I wouldn't try to adjust the brakes! You could get them to tight and that would create another problem.

Filly1979
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-17 9:11 AM (#38955 - in reply to #38914)

New User

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am planning on taking it in next weekend. Here's hoping it is a quick adjustment.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-17 12:26 PM (#38972 - in reply to #38921)

Expert

Won't your dealer let you take it to some place closer to have it fixed? They should!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)