'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Campfire Recipes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-03 2:19 PM
14 replies, 5142 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-12 2:28 PM (#37020)
Subject: Campfire Recipes

Extreme Veteran

Since I will be doing some heavy duty camping, alot of it in rustic areas, I would love to get some great campfire recipes!  So please give me links to some great recipes or maybe share your favorites!!!  No gas or charcoal grill recipes...strictly over the campfire stuff!!! Thanks all!!! 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-02-13 9:19 AM (#37072 - in reply to #37020)
Subject: RE: Campfire Recipes

Veteran

Come on I could really use this too.Thanks Much

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 12:06 PM (#37090 - in reply to #37020)

Extreme Veteran

We watch RFD TV and look for the campfire cafe shows.  They have two or three different cooks on there each week with all kinds of recipes.  Sorry I don't have any to offer up, but it is hard to beat these shows.  They show all the steps in building over an open fire.  On my Direct TV it is channel 379. 
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-13 2:37 PM (#37109 - in reply to #37020)

Extreme Veteran

That is a big reason why cable tv stinks..lol.. we don't get RFD.  Unfortunately in our area satellite tv is not as reliable as cable due to the weather and location.  My next door neighbor has satellite and 30% of the time is out of whack.  They are both comparible in price...I do wish RFD would go to cable as well!!!  In fact there is a new all horse cable station set to air soon.  I am trying to get my cable company to carry it. 

Back to the recipes I do have a couple I will share.  One is for grilled asparagus the other is for baked candied apples in the coals.

For the Asparagus I use the heaviest duty aluminum foil, I get about 1 pound of fresh asparagus, clip off the root end.  I leave it whole. Lay them on the aluminum foil, cover with about 3-4 tbs of margarine.  Sprinkle liberally with seasoning salt and garlic powder, and a small bit of onion powder.  Close up the aluminum foil.  Set it on top of a metal rack over the fire.  I would say it takes about 10-20 minutes to cook, depending on how hot your coals are.  I use those heavy duty welders mitts for oven gloves as they go up to your elbows. 

I flip the asparagus after 10 minutes.  After 5 more minutes I check it for desired tenderness.   Talk about good eating!!!  This can be done with just about any vegetable.

For my candied apples I use a double layer of aluminum foil.  I wait till the fire has settled into some really really good coals.   I core the apple.  I then shove a mixture of margarine, cinnamon, and brown sugar, and a small dash of nutmeg inside the apple.   You want to use at least 2bs of margarine, 2 tbs brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and a 1/4 tsp nutmeg per apple.  

I close up the aluminum, and put the apple in the coals.  I cover the top of the apple carefully with coals.  I let it bake like that for about 5 minutes, then get tongues and flip it over so the other side can bake.   It usually only takes around 5-10 minutes to bake if you have hot coals.  The outside of the apple may get burned, but the inside is sooooo delicious.  Be careful it will be extremely hot. 

For steaks, I use a heavy iron grate, I also use Miracle Blend seasoning on it.  I swear by this seasoning!! You can order it here: http://www.aldenmillhouse.com/product.htm

The best steaks are done over a good set of coals.  MMMMmmm what a nice treat. 

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-13 9:47 PM (#37148 - in reply to #37020)

Veteran

Heres an easy stew for after a hard days riding. Even our teenagers dig into this. If you cut up the ingredients before hand and store in ziploc bags, it takes about 1 1/2 hours (est) to cook down. Cut up 1 head cabbage, several new potatoes, some carrots, celery/onion if you like. In a large tall pot, put in a layer of potatoes, then the cabbage and layers of carrots..mix in the celery/onion if you want these...we usually dont..salt and pepper to taste (takes a lot). On top cut up 1 stick marjarine, and a package of smoked sausage (precooked kind). Dont add any water, maybe just a couple tablespoons so your potatoes dont stick at first. Cover and make up some biscuits on the dutch oven while this is cooking. Use self rising flour and make the biscuits from scratch. You will be popular. For desert take some bananas, split the peels/bananas open on the inside of the curve and open with a knife and use your hands to open up the banana. Insert some chocolate bar and small marshmallows into the banana. Use some foil to hold the banana up/catch the chocolate and set 4 or so of these in a dutch oven, bake until the banana is soft and the chocolate/marshmallow is melted. Serve with hot coffee. Or if the bananas are not to your liking, suggest a pinapple upside down cake in the dutch oven...these are easy. The first time I laid one of these out on the table, one of the guys nicknamed it the halaluya cake. Name stuck...serve with some DQ icecream if you have a freezer in your trailer. Marty.
jeffghs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-02-13 9:54 PM (#37149 - in reply to #37020)

Veteran

With satellite, it couldn't be the weather. Mine has worked fine here even through the Hurricanes (Ivan and Katrina in the midst of 100mph winds and rain). Just had to use a generator to run it. Here are some links for some recipes:http://www.camprecipes.com/http://www.chuckwagondiner.com/http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Recipes.htmand from RFD-TVhttp://www.campfirecafe.com/http://www.ceedubs.com/

Edited by jeffghs 2006-02-13 9:56 PM
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-14 12:44 PM (#37190 - in reply to #37020)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for the stew and dessert recipes!! Also thank you for the great links!!!!  I have a feeling I will be packing more pounds camping this year...lol..

but you work it off as setting up and tearing down the camp..lol

Thanks again!

Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-02-14 9:31 PM (#37251 - in reply to #37020)

Veteran

You can Goggle for Campfire Recipes.  http://www.chuckwagondiner.com/campfire.html

Turfa

Congress
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-15 12:03 PM (#37297 - in reply to #37020)

Here is one that I really like, my wife isn't into fish much so we don't have it to often.

1 newspaper
4 large handfuls fresh mixed herbs (dill, basil, rosemary, flat leaf parsley, and fennel tops) I use whatever we have at the time.
1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound/ 1.5 kilogram) whole salmon, scaled and gutted
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
2 lemons, thinly sliced
6 spring onions, thinly sliced 

Open out the paper to the middle page, and scatter half the herbs over it.

Place the salmon in the middle of the paper and season inside and out and rub with olive oil.

Scatter over the lemon slices, spring onions, and remaining herbs, tucking some inside the fish.

Drizzle with extra olive oil.

Wrap the paper around the salmon, securing it well with lots of string.

Dampen the paper well with water cook on a rack over a camp fire for about 25 minutes on each side.

sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-15 3:06 PM (#37318 - in reply to #37020)

We do a vegetable side dish often that is great, and easy.  We take potatoes, squash or zuchini, onions, mushrooms, red and green peppers, whatever else is laying around and sounds good.  Chop up the vegetables into bite size pieces, can be done before heading out.  Put everything in aluminum foil, those big bags are perfect, along with some butter and salt and pepper fold up tight and stick on grill above hot coals.  Turn with tongs every now and then when potatoes are tender it's ready.  Goes great with grilled chicken.  Sometimes we put small hamburger patties in there and make seperate pouches for each person.  Lots can be doen with those pouches.
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-20 9:23 PM (#37587 - in reply to #37020)

Veteran

I am always looking for the easy recipes to use when camping. I have never used a dutch oven but found some interesting recipes that I am looking at converting to stove top.  I have found short cuts at the same website.

Go to RV.net. Click on forums and then camp cooks and connoisseurs.  When you get there search for dutch ovens.  

There are also convenience recipes for the hook up areas. 

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-03-28 12:37 AM (#39631 - in reply to #37020)

Veteran

Go to Lodgemfg.com for more dutch oven recipes. Also, LSDOS.com and IDOS.com
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-28 11:33 AM (#39654 - in reply to #37020)

Extreme Veteran

Here is a fun site......this is the direct link to the reciepes page!

http://www.horsetrailriders.com/Recipes.htm

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 9:41 PM (#39752 - in reply to #39654)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you Cowpony01,  we may not agree on chains on our rigs (horse talk forum), but we do agree on good campfire recipes..thank you for the superb link!

Thank you to all for the great ideas, links, and recipes!! I think I may end up gaining some weight when I go camping this year!!! 

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-03 2:19 PM (#39927 - in reply to #37020)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you Cowpony01,  we may not agree on chains on our rigs (horse talk forum), but we do agree on good campfire recipes..thank you for the superb link!

Too funny, if we were all alike we would be boring people LOL!!!! Glad you enjoyed the site, keep in touch!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)