'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Returning a horse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-09 8:26 AM
9 replies, 3906 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cinqchevaux
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-06 12:29 PM (#36621)
Subject: Returning a horse

Veteran

Scenario: A horse is purchased from a fairly well known performance horse training stable, after an initial ride, and viewing the trainer ride the horse. Two days after the horse arrives at the new owner's ranch, that person decides the horse is totally wrong for their needs and immediately asks the seller to take the horse back. The seller refuses. The seller may consider taking the horse back on consignment, but flat out refuses to refund the money and accept the horse back.

Although it's may be the seller's prerogative 
to do so, is that the normal practice? This is a high profile training stable, not someone's backyard horse.

What's the protocol?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-06 2:11 PM (#36629 - in reply to #36621)
Subject: RE: Returning a horse

Expert

If you rode it, and watched a trainer ride it, and the horse wasn't doctored up(aced). Then you own it. That trainer or anyone for that matter is not in the business of take him home and see if he suits you. Unless that is whats discussed up front.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-06 3:22 PM (#36636 - in reply to #36621)

Expert

You got the horse now it's your problem.  That's why some people now will take the horse on a trial period and have it stated in a contract of sale that the horse may be returned anytime during these dates _____ to ______ for any reason.  This also states that if the horse fails any portion of the vet check that the horse will be returned within 24 hours of the vet check and all fees from said vet check are refunded by the seller.  I also supply the name and phone number of the vet so that any "suprises" can be dealt with if they wish to contact the examing vet upon return.

(If they don't want you to have the horse for any length of time explain to them that a full drug test inculding the blood screen is needed to find the newer drugs.  Some drugs last for weeks now and can only be tested for in a blood test which must be sent off for and the results take days to come back.)

I have returned a good chunk of all the horses I've bought because they either failed vet check or had personality issues.

Don't bash their name, they upheld their end of the sale contract it sounds like.

Edited by huntseat 2006-02-06 3:26 PM
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-06 9:02 PM (#36655 - in reply to #36621)

Would like to have more facts....was the horse doped when the buyer saw it?  Why does the buyer now think the horse is unsuitable for the buyer's needs? 

Last year I refunded  purchase price and took back a pony and a mare;  two different and unrelated deals.  I did it because I liked both the pony and the mare and really wanted them back, but I know I didn't have any legal obligation to do so.   

Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-06 11:03 PM (#36660 - in reply to #36621)

Veteran

Unless you had an agreement up front concerning having the horse on a trial basis.......then the horse is yours.  The seller may also have turned other folks away because the horse was now off the market. Sounds like the buyer suddenly saw another horse they liked better instead of the one they just bought?
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-07 7:11 PM (#36685 - in reply to #36621)

Expert

I use a sales contract that states its a done deal when they leave my place.I do offer a buyback clause that is of course LESS then they paid for a certain time frame.Buyers can come look,ride,vet check all they want.But the animal does NOT leave my place until paid for period.
cinqchevaux
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-08 6:40 PM (#36751 - in reply to #36621)

Veteran

Thanks for the replys. This is an issue with a horse owner at a neighbor's boarding stable, so I don't know the deep details. My riding friends and I have been discussing what the procedure is, esp when it's involving a locally well-known training stable. The trainer at my neighbor's boarding stable said she will take back a horse, within seven days, if the horse is returned in the same shape it left in. 

A written contract between both parties stating everything, is clearly the best and safest way to buy or sell a horse. Thanks for the info.  

Edited by cinqchevaux 2006-02-08 6:42 PM
hayburner1
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-08 8:15 PM (#36757 - in reply to #36621)

They should take the horse back minus a fee for their time and expenses(vet check).  Number one for the horses stake, if the horse is not right for the buyer then the buyer will likley unload the horse to the first person who comes along (this could be bad or this could be good).  Number two horse people tend to gossip this will not be good for the sellers business (on the other hand taken the horse back could help business).  Number three who hasn't heard of Karma.  Number 4 the only person who wins when attorneys are hired is the attorneys (caveat if this is a 25K horse then number 4 may not be correct).  Take back the horse minus a fee have the horse vet checked and some compensation for wasting the buyers time.  And next time take your trainer with you and have them look over the horse to make sure the horse is right for you.  If you don't have a trainer then your not riding hard enough.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-09 1:58 AM (#36785 - in reply to #36621)

Expert

Good advise!
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-09 8:26 AM (#36803 - in reply to #36621)

Extreme Veteran

It sounds a lot like buyers remorse to me.  Who hasn't done that after paying way too much for a hayburner? lol... There are days when I ride my buckskin mare and she has a tantrum I think to myself..hmmm  what did I do?  But then I realize I love her because she is cantankerous, I wouldn't be happy with a complacent push button horse!   If the seller did not misrepresent the horse then I think the buyer has nothing to go on.  Irregardless of backyard horse or show barn.  When you had the money to someone this is implied consent that you accept the item "as is".  As long as the horse is standing, bug free, and clearly not incompacitated the horse is YOURS.  If the horse isn't what you wanted, market it yourself and sell it.  Spring is fast approaching and show season is almost here, people are starting to shop now!   I am currently shopping for a snaffle bit prospect myself.  Hope the advice from everyone helps.  When buying horses..it is typicall a buy as is market.  That is why I never buy a horse after riding it only once!  I go back several times, I also bring other riders with me to give a non prejudiced evaluation, as well as a vet check at my own expense if I am seriously interested.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)