'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bereavement in horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-07 9:16 AM
4 replies, 3142 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sunnyarizona
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-02-04 2:29 PM (#36544)
Subject: Bereavement in horses

Regular

I found an excellent article about something we all have to deal with sooner or later if we have horses for life.
Go to www.bridleandbit.com Article is Bereavement Can Affect Health of Your Horses. I know this is true, experienced it. Have read other articles that say it cannot possibly be that a horse can grieve. I know they can. Also saw two of mine trying to 'save" the other one when he rolled into a fence after thrashing from colic.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-04 4:00 PM (#36553 - in reply to #36544)
Subject: RE: Bereavement in horses

Expert

Well I have had two KILLED this year in pastures.The others paid them no every mind after.Saw no signs of a second thought afterwards.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-02-04 9:10 PM (#36566 - in reply to #36553)

Expert

When I got my old QH mare my gelding stayed by her side day and night while she was down.  (she was starved, sick and almost dead).  When he died a year ago in Oct she went off her feed for about 2 weeks and was very lethargic.  Vet couldn't find anything wrong.  She finally started staying with my appy mare I bought to replace him and has pulled out of it.   I was afraid I was going to have to put her down if she kept declining like she was.
heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-06 11:03 AM (#36613 - in reply to #36544)

Regular

Horses DO experience bereavement! 4 weeks ago, one of my geldings lost his bosom buddy (they would chew on the same bit of hay from different ends!) to colic. Shiek acted "lost" and depressed. His weight loss was visible. He is now starting to buddy with another gelding in the herd, and gaining the lost weight. Some years back, I had another gelding lose a buddy. "Hardy" did "searching behavior" in the pasture, as well as hanging out by the barn and periodic neighing for his buddy. It was difficult to watch. 12 years ago, my mare and I were in an accident on the trail. She was a 4 year old, and I have owned her since she was 19 months old. In the accident, she jumped on me not once, but twice(caused by bad judgment on my part). When I got out of the hospital, and was able to walk to the corral, I noticed her weight loss. She would try to chew hay, but it fell out of her mouth. She looked depressed. I called the vet. After a complete check up, nothing could be found. Later, I talked with her and hand fed her hay with my good arm (other one broke). She started to eat, and progressed rapidly to normal behaviors. While I know this sounds far fetched, I have no doubt my mare was greiving about the incident, and not seeing me for many days after it happened did not help.

Brenda

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-02-07 9:16 AM (#36667 - in reply to #36544)

Veteran

When my 18 year old gelding died in Sept. (we had him since he was 1), the others didn't seem to care! His buddy mare did stand over the hillside where he laid until we buried him, but the others didn't care. My 2 and 3 year old geldings seemed to feel better! It was like when the wicked ol witch died in the wizard of oz, there was peace at my place! My donkey stayed with him while he died (I did too) and for another hour afterwards, then he walked away and never looked back. I do believe that some horses grieve, but my ol gelding was so onery that they didn't care!
Myself on the other hand, devastated! I still miss him terribly and cannot believe that were facing spring without his funny personality this year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)