'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding and camping at Parrie Haynes Ranch TX

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-11 2:29 PM
5 replies, 4779 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rollingrfarm
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-02-02 7:39 AM (#36419)
Subject: Riding and camping at Parrie Haynes Ranch TX

Regular

Can anyone give me advice or tell me your experiences about riding and campingn at Parrie Haynes Ranch in TX?  We are supposed to go with a small group of folks from AR next week, and none of us have ever been there.

Did you like the trails, the facilities, anything we need to be sure to do or avoid? 

The Park folks are banning all fires including charcoal grill fires due to the drought, are there any restaurents (local Mom and Pop, Bar and grill are fine) nearby or do we need to go to Killeen if we don't want to eat cold sandwiches at night?

Thanks.

Karen

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-02 10:07 AM (#36428 - in reply to #36419)
Subject: RE: Riding and camping at Parrie Haynes Ranch TX

Veteran

Unfortunately, I have not ever been there- it's on my list to go this year.  Best sources for info about them would be:

Sylvia Perry TETRA Reg. 8 sylviaperry946@yahoo.com

or

Dr. Karl Cloninger Ranch Mgr Karl@centraltx.net

Either one of them can answer any questions you may have.

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-08 5:13 PM (#36750 - in reply to #36419)

Regular

Karen,
I have some good friends that ride there. I will see what I can find out.
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-02-08 9:09 PM (#36763 - in reply to #36419)

Veteran

We have been one time. We live close and want to go back. There is not a lot close to there for food etc. However Keline coppers cove etc isnt terribly far away. There is a building there we didnt venture in and places for LQ trailers to hook up to. The trails were marked by tape for diffrent events. There are pipe stalls uncoverd in 3s scattered around the parking area over all pretty nice. We hope to return soon and see more of the ranch.
rollingrfarm
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-02-10 1:10 PM (#36901 - in reply to #36419)

Regular

Just got back and had a great time at Parrie Haynes.  Be sure to get directions to the horse camp if you go, the website from TX Parks and Wildlife only tells you how to get to the Ed. Center.  There are about 8 electric/water hookups the rest are primitive.  About 10 sets of 2 10x10 pipe pens.  New toilet, primitive shower. Trails are marked with color flagging, I found a color map on a Paint horse site as the Tx Parks folks only give you a black and white map - if you can find them.  They leave you nicely alone and aren't much of a presence there.  Trails are rocky and there are old ranch roads as well as trails.  There are watering spots along the trails for horses from wells, since right now there is a terrible drought and streams are dry and ponds are very muddy and mucky. Wouldn't ride a horse barefoot there.Take a camera, there are some scenic views.  Also nice, - several places to stop for lunch with hitching sites and picnic tables.

KR  

RbarL
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-11 2:29 PM (#36957 - in reply to #36419)

Regular

Rollin R - I guess you had a good time. I got a report from my friends. They are riding there this weekend. Sorry I didn't get you any details sooner but it seems like you found out for yourself. LOL

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)