'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Straight Load Widths

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-01 3:22 PM
3 replies, 2835 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Traillady
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-01-31 3:01 PM (#36316)
Subject: Straight Load Widths

I need some advice on width of straightload bumper pull. Can anyone tell me their preferences on width? My concern is how the horses may ride if it is too wide or not enough room for leg movement if too narrow. Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
TXAggie
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-31 7:13 PM (#36332 - in reply to #36316)
Subject: RE: Straight Load Widths

This has been my experience:  Our friends have a Sundowner 2H GN straightload trailer with an interior width of about 6'-8"+/-.  Each horse has half of the width of the trailer, or about 39" +/-.  I have a Dream Coach 2+1H GN straightload trailer that is 8'-0" wide and at the feet area has the same 39" +/- width.  However I gain the extra width above the wheel wells (about 47" +/-).

In other words, the maximum floor width is about 6'-8" (at the wheel wells) or so and is determined by the width of the axles.  The wider trailers (7', 7'-6" to 8') have the same axle width, but the sidewalls extend over the wheel well giving the horses more 'hip' width (plus wider tack area and/or dressing room/living quarters).  In my research of straight load trailers, I found the stalls normally about 7' long and had an additional 3' for the head.  I hauled a 14-3 hand horse in the 8' wide trailer, as well as hauling a 16-2 hand horse in the 7' wide trailer, both were comfortable.  Each trailer had a partial stall divider so they could spread their legs if needed for balance. 

A different question is does it have a partial or full (to the floor) divider between the stalls.  The horse can spread his legs wider with a partial divider, compared to a full divider, if needed.

my 2 cents

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-01 3:10 PM (#36387 - in reply to #36316)

Expert

I have a 6' wide (7' tall) two horse straightload and I have had horses in mine from 12 hands to 17 hands.  I would shy away from anything smaller or with a solid lower divider.  (This trailer was made back when a regular trailer was 5' wide and 6'6" tall)

Horses in my care learn to lead, load and tie under all conditions.  Anything less dangerous...to myself, my trailer and others.

The most important part is to find something that your horses are comfortable inside.  I've seen trailers that were really nice and very big but the horses road like crap inside them.  Make sure the trailer is something you'll be safe and confident using as this will instill confidence in your horses.

Traillady
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-02-01 3:22 PM (#36388 - in reply to #36316)

Thank you so much for the information.  I have a slant load but looking at straight loads for someone else.  Never really thought about the width until I noticed 6 foot up to 7 foot widths.  I wondered if it's too wide if there would be more shifting and if too narrow a tall horse may need more leg room. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)