'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Has anyone noticed horse prices dropping?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-02 1:18 PM
37 replies, 8570 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-02-02 1:50 PM (#36443 - in reply to #36433)
Subject: RE: Has anyone noticed horse prices dropping?

Expert

Hopefully with the "pay me $400 for my injured/crippled horse" option not available to most people that they will start doing the right them and have those horses humanely distroyed.

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.  I think there will be more horses left like my old mare was.  Starved, sick and left lying on the side of the road.  Funny thing is, she is the best kids horse I have ever had.  My 3 yr old rides her with no problems.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-02 2:29 PM (#36453 - in reply to #36090)

Expert

People don't put their animals to sleep usually due to cost. 

Horses could be sold at slaughter for a profit versus paying the vet to put them down and paying to dispose of the body.  I think it just comes down to numbers.

I once worked for a vet that injected household cleaners into dogs to put them to sleep if the owners weren't watching because he could make a profit.  I quit and don't look back.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-03 9:24 AM (#36489 - in reply to #36090)

While folks may not like the idea of slaughter, it has served a purpose. Who is going to feed/care for the 55,000 horses that don't go to slaughter this year? Would humane slaughter techniques resolve issues with slaughter?

I am afraid we are going to see horses turned out/dropped off like unwanted dogs and cats. Not a pretty picture.

Any ideas? Preferably without gov't involvement.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-03 12:58 PM (#36503 - in reply to #36090)

Expert

My personal thoughts are that we'll see exports of live horses to neighboring countries where they will be slaughtered there without government control.

I hear the heartfelt stories of rescue horses and cry but the reality is that there is not enough space/money to care for every animal.  As a nation we have come to accept putting dogs/cats to sleep and we slaughter cattle without a second thought.  Eventually horses will fall into one of these two.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-03 2:35 PM (#36509 - in reply to #36090)

Huntseat: There is a bill pending in Congress to make it illegal for anyone in the US to transport horses out of this country for the purposes of slaughter for human consumption. So that may give law enforcement an excuse to pull over anyone hauling horses near a border....... I would prefer the slaughter plants to re open here and under the USDA supervision just like the other slaughter plants.
If anyone is interested, please contact your Senators and Representatives. This is a situation that will not improve without input from horse owners.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-02-03 5:31 PM (#36516 - in reply to #36090)

Extreme Veteran

What is wrong with slaughtering cattle?  I love a good medium rare TBone!!!  lol...

I think those who want these horses "rescued" need to look at the economic side of it.  Are you prepared to take care of these extra horses?  Because somebody is going to have to.  Especially with the way the economy is going, folks are running short on feed money and having to make difficult choices.  Folks that were "well to do"  5 years ago are standing at the unemployment office.   It is all well and good to do what you feel is right, but who are we to tell someone they can not sell their horse for slaughter or to take it across the border for slaughter?  What is next???  Government needs to stay out of the horse business period.  I plan on calling and writing to my respective congressman (woman) and ask them if THEY are prepared to take in the extra horses, and if THEY are prepared to take up the economical loss associated with it.  If they vote for that bill that is pending, I will hound them to see how many rescue horses they have taken in, and how many ranchers, slaughter factory workers, horse haulers they plan on helping out financially after their jobs are permenantly lost.   The key is education.  Stallions are a dime a dozen out there, just as there are TONS of subpar mares.  Do us a favor, get your mare shown, if she wins in the show ring, breed her, if she doesn't then don't breed her.  The same with stallions, campaign your stallion, whether it be working ranch horse copetition to stakes winning racing.  If your horse doesn't do well, don't breed, there is a reason your horse doesn't succeed!  Too many breed their studs to make $$$, they are NOT discriminative and will breed to just about anyone.  Raise your stud fee's.  If you raise your stud fee's horse prices will increase because then those who can afford to  breed will,those who can't afford it won't, thus it will thin down the market.   Broodmares can be shown in halter classes and judged on their conformation.  The best broodmares are retired show horses. This way you know if your horse is worth something or not.  If you place last under ten different judges...then your horse is crap, simple as that.  I applaud those who geld their horses!!!

MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-02-03 9:06 PM (#36524 - in reply to #36090)

Extreme Veteran

IMO for many of the worst rescue cases the slaughter house is a blessing - at least the suffering has an end there. The issue is bad owners - not the slaughter house - they are just fulfilling a need.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-06 2:54 PM (#36630 - in reply to #36090)

Expert

The American association of Veterenary medicine supports horse slaughter!  If they can't stop these tree huggers then I'm sure chewing on Ralph Hall's ear won't help either.

The only part I read on teh bilk was about transporting horses out of California for slaughter.  Nothing was stated abiut shipping them from other border states for slaughter.  Mexico would welcome this industry.

The bill is unclear about slaughter for non-human consumption.  Won't they still slaughter for animal feeds?  I mean our zoos use lots of horse meat to feed their carnivores.

Congress has threatened the USDA about going against them by allowing it's trained inspectors to sub-contract to the slaughter houses.  They state that this is a direct violation of congressional act.

Another funny part about this bill was that it had a cluase that legalized the slaughter of wild horses.  So that begs the question, is an unwanted horse wild?

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-06 9:19 PM (#36656 - in reply to #36090)

As I understand it, there will no slaughter for any commercial purpose.  And I may have that wrong.  I have no idea about private slaughter for personal use;  and yes, here in the sticks, we still do slaughter and butcher our own hogs;  and have game processed for our own use.    However, when my aged gelding passed away last year, he was buried on the hillside overlooking his favorite pasture. 

I just don't like the govt telling me what I can and can't do;  but I can deal with my rights ending where the exercise of same would infringe on others. 

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-08 8:30 PM (#36758 - in reply to #36090)

My buddies tell me that Congress has passed a bill (today?) that reinstitutes horse slaughter for commercial/human consumption/export purposes. Anyone know anything about this?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-02-11 11:35 PM (#36981 - in reply to #36090)

Expert

So when you talk about horse prices dropping, What is a low price to you?

Are you folks dealing in $50,000 horse and only getting $35,000 now or are you talking $2500 horse that now sell for $1500.

Since I've got 4 pins and cast on my left arm right now, I got bored today and went and sat through a local auction. This is one of the bigger sales we have here and they put it on twice a year.  They had 91 horses in the catalog. This was a Quarter horse & Paint sale. No arabs, Saddlebreeds, foxtrottersl etc. They had a stallion preview prior to the sale and showed off 41 stallions. Probably  1500 to 2000 people in the stands.

I didn't stay for the whole sale. So I don't know what the high selling or averages where. But I did see a 1992 grullo stallion, that was a ABRA Reserve World Champion sell for $13,500. I suspect he was the high seller for the day.

Most yearlings sold for $700,  Two year olds with 30-45 days went for $1300-$1400  4-6 year olds that demonstrated some good spins and sidepass in front of the auctioneer went for $2000. And a few 5-8 year old geldings that were a No Sale but had auction prices up to $2800-$3000. Sellers were hoping for $4000 - $5000

There was a lot of Doc O'lena, Peppy Sand Badger, Leo, Colonel Freckles, Zippo Pine Bar type of breeding. The sale was in Northern Utah, with horses from Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and few from California.

For me, Why would I pay $500 or more for a breed fee, Care for a mare for a year, care for the foal for a year, when I can buy a yearling for $700? Or a started two year old for $1200-$1400?  But these are the same prices I've been seeing for the last 5 years.

Edited by Painted Horse 2006-02-11 11:39 PM
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-02-23 4:59 AM (#37706 - in reply to #36090)

Regular

I cannot say its the removal of horse slaughter that is dropping the prices...at least its not the main reason. As has been said over breeding has a LOT to do with it. With most people i have met they decide on a mare or stallion  and i quote "cuz i want a baby  and geldings are useless when they get old or lame". Ok must say its not the brightest statement but its what i have heard repeatedly. Another favorite of mine is when they begin to state that horses bloodlines then you look at the horse and you see a knock-kneed, ewe necked nag thats young but soo not worth breeding however they do have the bloodlines so for some reason that makes it ok to breed em. I do not agree with that at all however its the general consensus that i have seen for myself. I personally do not give a rats butt if they had Doc bar so forth and so on in the lines if they look like someone got confused on which end is which. Point is  a lot of the quote "sub par horses" are from this aspect. Yes their ancestry may be grand however they totally missed out so have em sterilized. As for horse rescues i applaud them for what they do however and i may get bashed for this a lot of the horses i see advertised with a rescue organization would probably be better off PTS. More effort into finding homes for the horses most likely to get them makes sooo much more sense. Slaughter had its place. I would rather see a horse go to slaughter thna sit in a pasture with his feet curling up and turning to skin and bones. For those horses it was a happy release to go to slaughter. It may not have been the most humane way but it was a release all the same. Honestly slaughter was actually a boon to the horse business in the states as it took on a lot of the over breeding issues. Jobs decreasing and plants shutting down is another aspect of why horse prices are droppin people are having problems affording them. Much as i love them they are a luxary(sp?) for most. I have actually sent a horse to slaughter once and i do not regret it one bit. SHe was freakin insane due to ignorance and plain out meanness of a former owner. SHe was in constant terror and no amount of love or patience got through to her.  Point is the blame goes on the economy in general and the overproduction of a supply who's demand is quickly slowing down. In my hometown there are quite a few people without jobs now because they are hirin migrant workers and shutting down a lot of the plants. My mom alone has seen people she worked with for years be replaced  with someone who would work cheaper but didn't speak so much as a word of english. I have no problems with people wanting a new start however the initiative to keep those who already have their start in place is just not there. Wow i am talking wayy to much. As for the horse market its been down for years in South Carolina. I've seen some nicely bred and built yearlings going for around 300 each. That was in 2002  as of april 2005 you could buy a 4 year old green broke horse for around 400 and thats if the bid was high. Those are regular prices on em. I bought a 12yr old well bred paint stud and a 2yr old paint filly for 850 together at the auction. The stud rode like a dream. I ended up selling him within a week. The owners wouldn't seperate them so i bought both (just wnted the filly).  Anywho though the market is down because there is more supply than demand.

Well i am gonna shut up now. Ya'll have a good one and for those of you who have foals left to sell this year my best wishes are with you.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-03-02 1:18 PM (#38112 - in reply to #36090)

Lively: You said it very well. The slaughter plants also provide jobs. Hope the govt doesn't quit inspecting beef or pork or chicken or emu or rabbit or lamb!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)