'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exterior Maintenance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-23 3:38 PM
5 replies, 3012 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-22 6:44 PM (#35830)
Subject: Exterior Maintenance

Regular

I think I will soon have a new steel trailer.  That will probably meet my needs at least for the next 5 years or so.  My question to all of you is - how can I keep the paint looking good and keep rust from happening?  I intend to store it inside in the winter and otherwise keep is covered.  What products are good to wash it with and wax/seal the finish?  Is it bad to take the trailer through a car wash?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-23 7:17 AM (#35852 - in reply to #35830)
Subject: RE: Exterior Maintenance

Extreme Veteran

Very basic - KEEP IT CLEAN.   Wax always helps.  Storing it inside is great, but all you are protecting it from is the stuff falling from the sky.  Unless it is in a temperature controlled environment (AC and heat), the moisture in the air around it will help the rust.  For instance, when your horse blows through his nose, the little particles of whatever stick to the steel surface around him.  Those little particles absorb moisture from the air and hold it against the steel.  Ever notice the "rash" of rust on the walls of the mangers in the old steel trailers?  Don't just wash the floor, take a brush and a hose and scrub the walls too, even it there is nothing visible.  Sounds like a lot of work, but it pays off in a trailer that stays looking good and lives for a long time.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-23 7:23 AM (#35853 - in reply to #35830)

Extreme Veteran

I just noticed that you said "keep it covered".  Our experience with using covers on steel trailers is that the covers hold the moisture against the steel.  You need air flow.  We had a customer years ago who covered his trailer with a custom made canvas cover and went to Europe for two years.  No one used or uncovered the trailer while he was gone.  When he returned and took the cover off, there was very little paint showing through the rust, and the inside was white with mold. Of course, Indiana is in the rust belt, so take that into consideration.
brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-23 8:05 AM (#35854 - in reply to #35830)
Subject: Exterior Maintenance

Regular

Thanks for your input Kay.  In Michigan, we are also in "the rust belt" I suppose.  My old 2-horse steel (1992 vintage) is somewhat rusty especially around the manger as you say.  The paint is faded looking mostly.  In view of what you have said, I will be sure to wash the trailer thoroughly and allow it to DRY completely with doors open etc.  If I purchase a cover I will make sure it is vented or otherwise allows for air flow. 

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-23 1:28 PM (#35872 - in reply to #35830)

Expert

Wash it and keep it under a roof as much as possible.  I wax mine yearly with Mother's pure caranuba wax and it looked new until the day I gave it a factory makeover for it's 18th birthday.  It was a Jackson...they use top of the line automotive paint which also helps.
jwp2936
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-01-23 3:38 PM (#35881 - in reply to #35830)

New User

It also helps quite a bit to take a tube of silicone and seal around all of the seems on the sheet metal, and any open ended tubing you can find on the trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)